Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Friday 10 September 7:45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have said McPharlin would struggle against Buddy (who can also take a strong contested mark), but he did remarkably well.

Does JPod mark and score at the MCG? I thought a lot of the (non-Geelong) discussion was that he seems a different player away from Kardinia Park? 4 goals 7 in 5 games MCG, verses 26 (!!!) goals 8 in 6 games at Kardinia. Seems you can let him mark it wide at the MCG maybe and he struggles to hit the scoreboard?

JPOD has played not as well at the G as other places but as I've pointed out that's because we keep losing at the G, and all our forwards haven't played well, bar Stokes, they're all under 2 goals a game there this year.

For someone who'd never played at the G or under lights before this year he's adjusting and he'll play well there the more he gets used to it.

Most recent game at the G he actually played well, beat Presti a lot of times, just kept having to do it up the ground because we only had 28 inside 50s. When we play at the G we struggle to break zones and it's always slow ball, hence why he has to put up with multiple defenders in his space. If we move it long and quick I have no doubt he'll make an impact, and the good thing is he won't get outmarked a lot so will always create ground level contests for us.

He doesn't tend to go that wide although I'm ok with that because his goalkicking is good (relative to Moons anyway).

Yeah I made that point in an earlier post. Of course he isnt going to get as many goals at the MCG because we generally play the bigger drawing better skilled sides there and the ball isnt coming out of the centre as cleanly as it would against a lower side.

But his recent form shows that he is starting to come to terms with that - I have faith in the Pod!!!

I remember hearing him say somewhere that he's starting to get used to the pattern of play at the MCG, so now knows where to lead to, etc.

He had it down pat at Skilled, having played there in the VFL last year, not to mention whenever he played down here while he was at Werribee.

Strangely enough, I am more worried about Sandi if he plays forward than ruck so hopefully we can handle him.

That makes this interesting then.

Mark Harvey: We'll probably keep him (Sandi) on the ground a bit longer which should be a headache for Geelong.

In our best form/fitness, Sandi was able to play a remarkable > 90% game time by 'resting' forward. Unfortunately he's still learning the set-shot caper a bit like Moons. :)

I remember hearing him say somewhere that he's starting to get used to the pattern of play at the MCG, so now knows where to lead to, etc.

He had it down pat at Skilled, having played there in the VFL last year, not to mention whenever he played down here while he was at Werribee.

Interview on Game Day on Channel 7 he said that

In our best form/fitness, Sandi was able to play a remarkable > 90% game time by 'resting' forward. Unfortunately he's still learning the set-shot caper a bit like Moons. :)

Unfortunately due to Freo supporters like you he and his team-mates will never learn the Premiership caper unlike Moons.

Unfortunately due to Freo supporters like you he (Sandi) and his team-mates will never learn the Premiership caper unlike Moons.

Face it mate, your side will come over to the big smoke and without their Protection-Blanket of a Completely Freo-Subiaco crowd the will suffer from the chills, close up shop and return home.

The only impression the club will leave on us will be the couple of drunk uni students that come to the game their hair dyed purple and disappear after half-time.

Then the Fremantle mob like the always do will applaud the side on their season and not even mention their lame exit.
The side will rest on their laurels and instead of a group of young reasonably talented players working like dogs to get to the next level.
Instead they will rock up expecting it to all just happen next year – as their fans reactions as always have indicated for those as great as them it will and it most likely wont, and just like in 2006 things could even go backwards.

Unfortunately due to Freo supporters like you he and his team-mates will never learn the Premiership caper unlike Moons.

Unfortunately due to Freo supporters like you he (Sandi) and his team-mates will never learn the Premiership caper unlike Moons.

Face it mate, your side will come over to the big smoke and without their Protection-Blanket of a Completely Freo-Subiaco crowd the will suffer from the chills, close up shop and return home.

The only impression the club will leave on us will be the couple of drunk uni students that come to the game their hair dyed purple and disappear after half-time.

Then the Fremantle mob like the always do will applaud the side on their season and not even mention their lame exit.
The side will rest on their laurels and instead of a group of young reasonably talented players working like dogs to get to the next level.
Instead they will rock up expecting it to all just happen next year – as their fans reactions as always have indicated for those as great as them it will and it most likely wont, and just like in 2006 things could even go backwards.

Re: Changes vs Fremantle

I dont think we can go in with all five bigs; Ottens, Blake, Mooney, Pods and Hawkins.

If Bomber is adamant in bringing Pods back then I'd have to say Hawkins is the obvious one to miss.

We lose to much in the ruck when playing Hawkins there. However I'm a little nervous about Blake following Michael Johnson around the ground. He tore Carlton apart two weeks ago and will run riot if given the chance.

The only way I see Blake being dropped is if the spies we've sent over to Freo can absolutely rule Sandilands out of the ruck.

With Lonergan I think he needs to play. It was a mistake not to play him last week and we'll definitely need him against the pies with their tall forwards (Cloke, Doors and Brown/Jolly). But the problem is who is to miss.

I think it'll either be Mackie or Wojo.

I hate to say it but Mackie has been out of form and completely lost the past month (maybe even longer). Wojo's foot skills continue to let him down. It's great that he breaks the lines with hes neck breaking speed but when he turns it over time and time again whats the point?

So here is how I think we should line up

B: Hunt; Scarlett; Milburn
HB: Enright; Taylor; Mackie
C: Kelly; Ling; Bartel
HF: Varcoe; Mooney; Chapman
F: Stokes; Pods; Stevie J

R: Ottens; Selwood; Ablett

Int: Corey; Blake; Byrnes; Lonergan

Maybe Blake and Tomahawk both go - but I wouldnt see Otto going v Sandilands for 4 quarters.

Could lonergan or Mooney play a backup ruck role? I wouldnt think that Bomber would make those changes at this point though.

And the other selection issue is, how injured is Chappy?

Interesting...

I tend to agree although i'd play Hawkins ahead of Blake (not a Blake hater) but because we are playing Freo and Collingwood on the path to the GF, both who have 1 ruck and 1 ruck/forward.

Mackie/Wojo/Byrnes are the ones who will go for Lonergan, but as much as i want to see Lonners in the side i can't see either of those three going out for him...

Byrnes - We surely wouldn't drop pace vs Freo
Wojo - whenever we play without him we look slow. Won't be dropped for finals a second time
Mackie - never been dropped, would be a bold time to do so.

Can't wait for the teams tomorrow.

this line from Jimmy makes baby jesus smile...

Despite Geelong's overwhelming favouritism, Bartel insisted the Cats would take nothing for granted against the Dockers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jimmy-bartel-backs-joel-selwood/story-e6frf9jf-1225915879111

Lies lies make Baby Jesus Cry. Bomber knows the group are taking us way too lightly - I like the man. :thumbsu:

As for Jimmy, he's trying to lift his-out-of-form mate. Top marks for that. Gotta' try everything I guess. :rolleyes:

Maybe Blake and Tomahawk both go - but I wouldnt see Otto going v Sandilands for 4 quarters.

Could lonergan or Mooney play a backup ruck role? I wouldnt think that Bomber would make those changes at this point though.

And the other selection issue is, how injured is Chappy?
That would be insane.

If Sandi plays forward Lonners will probably take him. Lonners should test out that knee and run off him at every chance he can.

How would Lonners go playing in front of Sandi? Just get in his way and just intercept anything thats incomming and do the bolt (or dish off to one of our other defenders to rebound)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interview on Game Day on Channel 7 he said that

That interview was funny because when watching his highlights he remarked that he would look better if he had more hair...seemed to be surprised at the rate of his receding hairline :D

Fortunately he is not Samson :thumbsu:

And it sounds like Sandilands is line ball at best to play friday night.

They have just stated on HS that if he plays friday night he will have to play the whole game otherwise his knee will seize up - not a good idea bringing injured players into a final....

And PO, thats why I think Lonergan is a walk up start this game - sandilands will play a major role down forward

Yep Lonergan for Byrnes only for this reason. Lonners needs to play him in front, if he gets it over the back so be it, but you can't play the man mountain from behind.

If Sandi plays forward Lonners will probably take him. Lonners should test out that knee and run off him at every chance he can.

How would Lonners go playing in front of Sandi? Just get in his way and just intercept anything thats incomming and do the bolt (or dish off to one of our other defenders to rebound)

Thats not a bad idea, then you could have scarlo zoning off to add the spoil from behind.

But that begs the question anyway, how good is sandi's knee going to be on a one out lead? He didnt look mobile at all after doing it last saturday, and I dont think he has trained on it all week and reportedly has fluid there.

And PO, how about lonners for Corey? Byrnes has been in better nick of late.

I did read that.

FWIW I don't think he'll kick many goals (or even any) if we defend well, but the good thing for you is that like Pods for us, he will always bring it to ground, where your smalls will become dangerous so we will have to watch on this.

What the heck are you talking about? The only thing I've stated as fact, are the performance statistics of Pod, and our other forwards, because they are fact. Please don't tell me you're going to suggest the helpful stats OldStyle posted about Stokes v Byrnes are somehow 'subjective' and not fact. As for the rest, I've never passed my opinion off as concrete fact, I've just presented a rationale for why I think it's true, and people can agree or disagree, but don't accuse me of misrepresenting something because I ain't.

As for the game, I think we will win, although I think a good start is imperative. Strangely enough, I am more worried about Sandi if he plays forward than ruck so hopefully we can handle him.

Pardon me!:eek:

, but I absolutely know that Bomber plays favourites, tis' just a fact mate.

That's the quote I was referring to earlier. It's pure assumption. A fact is something proven beyond doubt. Only those on the match committee know the reasons for Bombers selection decisions. For you to say you "absolutely know" is, frankly, silly. Sorry PO, but your posts on this matter show a lack of practical experience on how team selection works. It's great you are a passionate supporter of Pods but team selection works on the basis of the structures that best suit our game plan taking (critically) into account the match-ups relating to the team we are playing. Take Collingwood for example, there were many occasions this year when they've ommitted players who have played well but who didn't fit the structures required when taking account of the strengths and weaknesses of the next opposition. I think Pods will play, but Bombers reserved approach is perfectly understandable when you appreciate the basics of team selection.

whilst I admire what Freo have done this season, a loss to them this weekend would be totally unacceptable. whilst we can say were not underestimating them, there is not a team in the 8 I feel less threatened by. All I want out of this season now is the chance to take it up to Collingwood, but a loss this weekend would be a fairly farcical way to end the run of this great team

I see Harvey is still yapping in the media talking about Ablett now.

Bomber is still silent.

A storm is brewing....

jmc's team is probably the most realistic one going into this game.
One change
In: Pods
Out: Blake

I'd love to see Taylor Hunt get a final but cant see them dropping any of Mackie, Wojo, Stokes, Byrnes.
Bomber's invested so much faith in Hawkins that it's hard to see him being dropped now. His last two games leading up to last week were actually quite good. They wont drop him on one bad game, even if it was a final.

Pods in Blake out. Hawkins rucks. If Lonners comes in maybe we drop corey and switch things up a little, shove byrnes into the center for a bit. Maybe chuck mackie up forward and see if he can slot a couple. I can't see us dropping Byrnes, he might not have set the world on fire last weekend but when the midfield is off he can't work his magic. I think we'll probably only the one change though.

It's either that or if something is actually hampering Taylor that we don't know about then straight swap for Lonners.

If we were to drop both Blake AND Hawkins, I could see us including West. Having Moons pinch-hitting in the ruck would be ludicrous.

With West in the side, we could throw so much more at Freo than we could with Blake. He and Ottens could be thrown forward while either Pods or Moons are being rested and still provide a viable target, and both are relatively mobile around the ground, as well as provide a lot of grunt and body work around the contest, something Blake doesn't provide.

However, it doesn't seem West is ever in Bomber's plans, unless 2 or more ruckmen are out injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back