AFL and the send-off rule: A matter of 'when', not 'if'?

Will the AFL introduce a 'send-off rule'? And should they?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah your post was just crap. Picked what is an isolated incident out of modern footy which was an accident as the base for a new rule. Gaff missed possibly his only chance at a premiership but you think he must have been happy at what he did because they had a one man advantage. If it's such an advantage to go out and belt someone at the start of a game how comes it hasn't happened in 20 years

There have been plenty of incidents of players taking out other players illegally in games and getting their teams a man advantage, it doesn't have to necessarily be a punch at the start of the game.

Tell, why do you think virtually every other team sport in the world have some sort of send off system for a player who seriously hurts an opposition player? Do you think it's fair for players to gain an advantage for the rest of the game for king hits off the ball, or similar acts?

I support Subs, and maybe have a system where at every quarter a team can sub one player in and one out for the remainder of the game.. regardless of injury or not. This will ensure both teams have the same amount of players on the field/interchange combined at all times and there is no undermanned disadvantage.
I had never thought of that idea before.

Reduce the number of players who can come on and off during the quarter to three.

Each team nominates which of their 22 has to sit out each quarter, at the beginning of that quarter.

If a team cops an injury, they will naturally nominate the injured player for each quarter that remains.

If no injuries, no big deal, each player still gets to play up to three quarters, even those who spend a quarter each on the pine.

Mitigates the loss of a rotation, while also avoiding having players getting just 25-40% game time (which is what happened under the old sub rule).

There have been plenty of incidents of players taking out other players illegally in games and getting their teams a man advantage, it doesn't have to necessarily be a punch at the start of the game.

Tell, why do you think virtually every other team sport in the world have some sort of send off system for a player who seriously hurts an opposition player? Do you think it's fair for players to gain an advantage for the rest of the game for king hits off the ball, or similar acts?
Name one example of a player in the last 10 years of a player taking out another player to gain an advantage deliberately. Name one.

I don't give a flying * what other sports do. Name another sport where you can jump with your knee into another blokes head and it's a highlight? Virtually none

Name one example of a player in the last 10 years of a player taking out another player to gain an advantage deliberately. Name one.

I don't give a flying fu** what other sports do. Name another sport where you can jump with your knee into another blokes head and it's a highlight? Virtually none
Has not happened for 30 Years

Back