AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you should have said so. Your point is still un-clear. Can you elaborate?

Are you asking when will the AFL next fixture a Sunday night? Because clearly not this year unless covid forces them to, but that should not stop them from giving it another go if next Sunday night proves successful, as I predict.
You are well aware I am happy for the WA clubs to have "their share', but not 'own' late Sunday games due to travel fortnightly.

You are well aware I am happy for the WA clubs to have "their share', but not 'own' late Sunday games due to travel fortnightly.
I think I use the word own it a bit more loosely than you do.

8 Friday Night 8pm local in WA
8 Sunday Night 5pm Local in WA

By own it, I mean put in the effort to make it a success. A timeslot that fans want to attend and schedule the good teams for it (including the Derbies). I don't mean own it in terms of it being a burden. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Still think both slots should be trailed.

I think I use the word own it a bit more loosely than you do.

8 Friday Night 8pm local in WA
8 Sunday Night 5pm Local in WA

By own it, I mean put in the effort to make it a success. A timeslot that fans want to attend and schedule the good teams for it (including the Derbies). I don't mean own it in terms of it being a burden. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Still think both slots should be trailed.

I agree 100% now ;)

Only question is the crowds, otherwise good.
Note my comments on Sunday late were to owning the time slot. Leading into a bye would be fine. Its a good concept with the byes.

Disagree all you like, its not as if Healys rework of the game schedule cant be shared about (making all clubs travel off a Sunday home game?o_O ).

JohnZ ...

?

I see Freo are also playing the Sunday night game tonight. Shame it's stuck on Fox and no one is watching it. Should be on 7, no?
As an Eagle follower living in the Latrobe Valley I need Foxtel & there is nothing unique here.
James Warburton at 7 is very active reshaping its offering to keep FTA relevant.

Remember Fox pays the lions share of the $media money, not FTA

Can see Amazon being a big player in the next rights love to see Double Headers on Friday nights a Victorian game starting at 7:20pm then an interstate game starting at 8pm
Then Saturday 3:30pm-Interstate 4pm 7pm Victorian games and 8pm-Interstate then Sunday 2pm 3:30pm Victorian games 5pm interstate game.
No Thursday night games no twilight games on Sundays in Victoria.

Can see Amazon being a big player in the next rights love to see Double Headers on Friday nights a Victorian game starting at 7:20pm then an interstate game starting at 8pm
Then Saturday 3:30pm-Interstate 4pm 7pm Victorian games and 8pm-Interstate then Sunday 2pm 3:30pm Victorian games 5pm interstate game.
No Thursday night games no twilight games on Sundays in Victoria.
Tell us about the money?

Why not Auction each game to All broadcasters?

Season Fixture and broadcast rights could be negotiated via the clubs, broadcasters and ground representatives collectively, every Tuesday approximately 6 weeks in advance. Using 51% consensus of clubs (per division) to lock in the time, location and date of each game. This will create a natural free market equalization via consensus, ie, powerful clubs would have to 'compensate' poorer clubs for their vote.

This leaves scheduling and broadcasting open to the highest bidder, allowing for maximum revenue to all club's.

Last edited:
Tell us about the money?
Well it will bigger in $$$ then current contract.
The only thing who ever gets the rights
Please Please Please gets some new blood as Commentators and special expert commentators that can call the game without biase .
I’m sick of Taylor Darcy Dwayne Dermot Gerald Healy and others

Why not Auction each game to All broadcasters?

Season Fixture and broadcast rights could be negotiated via the clubs, broadcasters and ground representatives collectively, every Tuesday approximately 6 weeks in advance. Using 51% consensus of clubs (per division) to lock in the time, location and date of each game. This will create a natural free market equalization via consensus, ie, powerful clubs would have to 'compensate' poorer clubs for their vote.

This leaves scheduling and broadcasting open to the highest bidder, allowing for maximum revenue to all club's.

Cant have a 5 year plan or plan for anything if you dont know what your income streams are. Cant sign CBAs with the players, cant plan annual budgets...

Cant have a 5 year plan or plan for anything if you dont know what your income streams are. Cant sign CBAs with the players, cant plan annual budgets...
I beg to differ.
A business is able to forecast expected revenue fives years into the future, without having any contracts in place.

Simply put, A pizza shop can forecast revenue for the next day, although no actual sales have been confirmed.

Well it will bigger in $$$ then current contract.
The only thing who ever gets the rights
Please Please Please gets some new blood as Commentators and special expert commentators that can call the game without biase .
I’m sick of Taylor Darcy Dwayne Dermot Gerald Healy and others
How much will it cost for punters like me, more or less?
I'm a Fox customer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I beg to differ.
A business is able to forecast expected revenue fives years into the future, without having any contracts in place.

Simply put, A pizza shop can forecast revenue for the next day, although no actual sales have been confirmed.

im sure a friggin pizza shop can - although that might interest any banks if it needs finance or corporate HQ if its part of a chain. Unlike your local pizza shop with 3 employees - all related - and some underpaid delivery staff, the AFL has something of a more complicated setup that means forecasting wages and club distributions over more than 6 weeks at a time is somewhat necessary. Hell I operate a small motel in Adelaide and my budget forecasts are at least a year minimum.

6 weeks? seriously if you cant contribute to threads meaningfully, get out. Or Ill have to ban you from this one as well.

Are you OK with WA clubs getting their share of games that are only on foxtel, even into their home market?

As an Eagle follower living in the Latrobe Valley I need Foxtel & there is nothing unique here.
James Warburton at 7 is very active reshaping its offering to keep FTA relevant.

Remember Fox pays the lions share of the $media money, not FTA

Yes, and if the WA & SA markets didn't get all their games on FTA, Fox might get a lot more subscribers (and thus, the AFL a lot more money).

Instead, as always, you want it both ways...prime time slots AND every game on FTA.

Yes, and if the WA & SA markets didn't get all their games on FTA, Fox might get a lot more subscribers (and thus, the AFL a lot more money).

Instead, as always, you want it both ways...prime time slots AND every game on FTA.
Where have I ever wanted prime time or FTA .. good luck with your projects.
Anyone who supports an interstate team anywhere knows they wont be a high priority in that market.

Are you OK with WA clubs getting their share of games that are only on foxtel, even into their home market?
My only problem with the Healy proposal related to owning a time slot that exacerbated the issues around travel.
The scheduling of Foxtel only games in the WA market is negotiated around the media rights, & if the game needs more money from its media rights, it is a commercial reality.
As a Foxtel subscriber it is academic.
Are the Foxtel only games spread across all clubs or are they applied on a given schedule ?

Yeah having a larger number of foxtel-exclusive WA/SA game is basically a no-go given the costs and difficulties of getting a live ticket to those teams given virtually the entire home games are taken up by legacy reserved seat membership holders. It doesn't really matter how much extra money it would make when you'd ostracise and potentially lose hundreds of thousands of (especially) Crows and Eagles fans without easy access to the league.

Glad the friday night double header is gaining a bit of traction here. Seems a no brainer from me to have 5+ hours of wall to wall footy on a friday night.

Not sure on the numbers, but would like the sunday twighlight game (even if its 240 perth time) pis*ed off.

Glad the friday night double header is gaining a bit of traction here. Seems a no brainer from me to have 5+ hours of wall to wall footy on a friday night.

Not sure on the numbers, but would like the sunday twighlight game (even if its 240 perth time) pis*ed off.
The only way I see the double friday working is if we get Sunday 7pm too (as in equal amounts of both, as a way of selling it to TV). As good as it would be for 7pm/8pm games in WA local time, the ratings won't be great (probably similar to Sunday arvos) for the 2nd game.

The only way I see the double friday working is if we get Sunday 7pm too (as in equal amounts of both, as a way of selling it to TV). As good as it would be for 7pm/8pm games in WA local time, the ratings won't be great (probably similar to Sunday arvos) for the 2nd game.

I'm not sure about that. Don't underestimate the numbers of people that stay up late and that there's nothing else on at that hour. Personally I reckon a game that goes from 9-midnight EST could rate extremely well.
Look at the numbers F1 gets if you want an indication.

Any second game is likely to be Fox exclusive except in Perth. Fox already hates the simulcast matches, and I expect there to be a rollback in the next tv deal with some SA/WA matches going to a fox exclusive if theres to be an increase in Fox money.

The other thing is that the FTA broadcaster has shown some disinterest in the ratings for fox produced simulcast games in the past. Seven typically only report on its national broadcasts, not additional simulcast games, so who knows what this really means.

Any second game is likely to be Fox exclusive except in Perth. Fox already hates the simulcast matches, and I expect there to be a rollback in the next tv deal with some SA/WA matches going to a fox exclusive if theres to be an increase in Fox money.

The other thing is that the FTA broadcaster has shown some disinterest in the ratings for fox produced simulcast games in the past. Seven typically only report on its national broadcasts, not additional simulcast games, so who knows what this really means.
That depends entirely on how the AFL wants to sell its product.

They could (for example) sell to Ch7
Friday 7pm
Sunday 3pm
Friday 10pm or Sunday 7pm (half games in each time slot)

as their package, leaving Thursdays and Saturdays to be sold to another FTA (like 9 or 10), or to Foxtel.

I'm not sure about that. Don't underestimate the numbers of people that stay up late and that there's nothing else on at that hour. Personally I reckon a game that goes from 9-midnight EST could rate extremely well.
Look at the numbers F1 gets if you want an indication.
I'm not saying it would be a graveyard, it would still be the most watched show on TV in that timeslot. Friday nights can regulary pull 1m viewers nationally, whilst Sunday arvos tend to rate in the 400k to 600k range, and I think that a 2nd Friday night game would pull similarly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back