AFL.com.au is a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Friday morning. Wouldn't a link to the teams be the absolute front and center news items? Instead, Maric's ******* mullet and Bucks and Mick having breakfast - though suspect this at least has less to do with Telstra's incompetence and more to do with the AFL's determination to provide 'content', as opposed to stuff fans are actually interested in.

Its called 'managerialism' - which means that those responsible for the oversight of tasks don't have to have any knowledge at all of how to accomplish those tasks. The errors on websites such at afl.com.au are an example of what can result. I would say also that the errors reported by the OP could result from 'unintelligent entry' - the material for the AFL site could be compiled in Christchuch or Manilla by people who have no idea what an Australian Football score should look like.

Online 'news' publications everywhere are full of these sort of errors. Once upon a time local news was compiled by locally based sub-editors and at the end local typesetters who could also say "that can't be right".

If you want AFL facts and figures entered intelligently, ditch the AFL and corporate media and instead go to sites such as:

AFL Tables
FootyStats
Final Siren

It's Friday morning. Wouldn't a link to the teams be the absolute front and center news items? Instead, Maric's ******* mullet and Bucks and Mick having breakfast - though suspect this at least has less to do with Telstra's incompetence and more to do with the AFL's determination to provide 'content', as opposed to stuff fans are actually interested in.
On top of that, finally found a link in an article and I get the ******* Out of Bounds umpire! Unbelievable!

Finally found the link at http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams but bloody hell it took some work.

I think this is a pretty consistent theme. They don't give a **** about fan retention (have the market cornered) and the digital world is a mysterious inconvenience.

The market has dictated that they compete though, but the admin clearly don't care about the final product, only how much Telstra are willing to pay for the rights.

Expansion is about TV rights. Rules changes are about avoiding lawsuits and attracting mums/supposedly being more appealing to the female market (therefore more new viewers) and selling the online digital rights to Telstra, who are known to provide a shitty product is again about the dollars coming in.

All have come at the expense of existing fans, all have come at the expense of the overall quality of the product, but what they represent is bigger dollar value when the rights negotiations are said and done and therefore bigger bonuses.

It isn't caretakers of the game acting responsibly and in the best interest of supporters, instead it is a great big exercise in pocket lining.
Really well said! Sucks that I feel powerless to have any impact on changing it though.

aflwebsite.jpg

Not much advertising :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder why the media doesn't make more of what a crap website it is? Are they all scared of Andy?

I think one problem is those in the media don't use this type of service to access AFL information.
Friends of mine who are 50+ don't care about my complaints about afl.com.au.

I thinks some media (AFL360 for example) would attack the website and mobile apps issues, but don't have that type of knowledge to present solutions or even explain what the issues are.

For a good iPhone sports app, look at the MLB 'at bat' app. Good content, updates scores immediately, great access to videos, great access to individual team pages, easy navigation to other MLB.com content.

Maybe it is a financial issue, after paying out the wages for all those new AFL headquarter staff members. Things like websites are forgotten about.

The highlights packages on the site have gotten worse. Where last year they were hastily thrown together, error-ridden "traditional" style highlights packages, this year they are simply 10-12 clips put together into a package with no narration and a very annoying backing track, completely deflating any sense of flow in the game and leaving the viewer unsure as to when the passage of play has occurred

The highlights packages on the site have gotten worse. Where last year they were hastily thrown together, error-ridden "traditional" style highlights packages, this year they are simply 10-12 clips put together into a package with no narration and a very annoying backing track, completely deflating any sense of flow in the game and leaving the viewer unsure as to when the passage of play has occurred
Yeah they've sacked the guy with the boring voice and now play stock rock music over the top with no commentary.

Imagine if the EPL did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back