AFL Era Success/Fail Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was just thinking about how Collingwood matches up with other teams in terms of success/failure rate since 1990 - when the VFL officially became the AFL.

AFL Premierships (since 1990 when the VFL officially became the AFL):
5 - Hawthorn
4 - West Coast
3 - Brisbane, Geelong
2 - Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney
1 - Carlton, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs
0 - Fremantle, Melbourne, St Kilda, Gold Coast, GWS

AFL Grand Finals:
7 - Geelong
6 - Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, West Coast
5 -
4 - Brisbane, Essendon,
3 - Adelaide, Carlton, North Melbourne, St Kilda
2 - Port Adelaide, Richmond
1 - Fremantle, GWS, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Finals Appearances:
22 - West Coast
21 - Geelong
20 - Sydney
18 - Hawthorn
17 - Essendon
15 - Collingwood, North Melbourne
14 - Adelaide, Western Bulldogs
12 - Carlton
11 - Brisbane, Port Adelaide, St Kilda
10 - Melbourne
9 - Richmond
7 - Fremantle
4 - GWS
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Wooden Spoons:
0 - Adelaide, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide
1 - Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, West Coast, Western Bulldogs
2 - Fitzroy, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, St Kilda
3 - Melbourne, Sydney
4 - Brisbane
5 - Carlton

If someone wants to work out finals won be my guest, I lost interest before I could do that.

What do you take from this? These are my thoughts:

• The mode of premierships won is 2, and the median 2.5 and this is where we stand.
  • We are one of the most successful in making grand finals, and have the highest rate of grand finals per finals appearance at 40%, but have only won 33% of them (same as Sydney and Carlton) which is obviously below average and only better than those who haven't won a grand final at all (St Kilda have the worst rate at 0 wins from 3 appearances)
  • Our finals appearances number is around average, being above the median of 13. We've made finals 50% of the time, so obvious again we're around the average mark here.
  • Carlton have the most spoons :D:D:D

Was just thinking about how Collingwood matches up with other teams in terms of success/failure rate since 1990 - when the VFL officially became the AFL.

5 - Hawthorn
4 - West Coast
3 - Brisbane, Geelong

AFL Grand Finals:
7 - Geelong
5 -
4 - Brisbane, Essendon,
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Finals Appearances:
22 - West Coast
21 - Geelong
20 - Sydney
18 - Hawthorn
17 - Essendon
12 - Carlton
10 - Melbourne
9 - Richmond
7 - Fremantle
4 - GWS
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Wooden Spoons:
3 - Melbourne, Sydney
4 - Brisbane
5 - Carlton

If someone wants to work out finals won be my guest, I lost interest before I could do that.

• The mode of premierships won is 2, and the median 2.5 and this is where we stand.
  • We are one of the most successful in making grand finals, and have the highest rate of grand finals per finals appearance at 40%, but have only won 33% of them (same as Sydney and Carlton) which is obviously below average and only better than those who haven't won a grand final at all (St Kilda have the worst rate at 0 wins from 3 appearances)
  • Our finals appearances number is around average, being above the median of 13. We've made finals 50% of the time, so obvious again we're around the average mark here.
The last stat is a heart warmer!!!!

Carlton and Melbourne being utterly shithouse in the AFL era gives me so much joy.

It seems we've continued our 70s and 80s tradition of losing grand finals pumping along into the modern era sadly (not to mention drawing them!) which undoubtedly sucks. I know on paper one should be glad their team is good enough to make deep finals runs, but it stings badly. Especially when you go from a ripping prelim victory (2011 and 2018 spring to mind, those were indescribable live) to a heartbreaking granny. Let's hope we can get 1 more flag on the board and draw level with Essendon & Carlton

No huge surprises there, hawks def been the best team, and have been for a long time, I mean, move back to the 80’s and it just gets better. Oh if only I grew up a hawks supporter in the 80’s as a kid 🤣.

this kind of proves my point on us as a club, I think we need a complete overhaul and change of personnel, to try and push for success like the hawks have had. no more boys club. They’ve really done it well, and over 40 years been miles on front of everyone

Similar thread I posted some time ago.

We've really been mediocre since the first half of last century, what is an achievement though is that while being poor we're always the highest profile and have a huge fan and member base.

We've really been mediocre since the first half of last century, what is an achievement though is that while being poor we're always the highest profile and have a huge fan and member base.
might snitch and bitch but we're loyal............. and a bit mad

We started off early on with the biggest support, and since then the media have focused on us for more ratings which kept new fans rolling in.

We started off early on with the biggest support, and since then the media have focused on us for more ratings which kept new fans rolling in.

I think it's the constant teasing and never pleasing which keeps the fans rolling in. In the AFL era we've contested 6 gf's for two wins, 'uhh so close, damn' when will the dam wall burst? Another relevant thread:

5 - Hawthorn
4 - West Coast
3 - Brisbane, Geelong

AFL Grand Finals:
7 - Geelong
5 -
4 - Brisbane, Essendon,
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Finals Appearances:
22 - West Coast
21 - Geelong
20 - Sydney
18 - Hawthorn
17 - Essendon
12 - Carlton
10 - Melbourne
9 - Richmond
7 - Fremantle
4 - GWS
0 - Gold Coast

AFL Wooden Spoons:
3 - Melbourne, Sydney
4 - Brisbane
5 - Carlton

You forgot the asterisk on the 95 Carlton flag and WCE 06

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back