Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sebastian Giompaolo can you pass this on to WW. This is a bigfooty list of bugs and other feedback from this 2k odd post thread. Unsure if WW have noticed or will notice what I sent elsewhere.

This is a list from all users who have posted here with one reason or another. Multiple people have generally agreed with most. Some things can be altered by sliders or settings to a degree but A) isn't perfect, B) hides the problem, C) the use of other options if they are poor or D) People who don't want to mess with settings.

AI

• AI player was trying to move forward, but it was like the AI was trying to move in front of an invisible wall. This was when the AI was trying to take a free kick.
  • AI tends to randomly kick out on the full for no reason or pattern.
  • Rubber banding is silly sometimes – kicking goals on boundary from 50m+ odd meters banana for example and not a one-off big goal miracle as tends to happen a lot.
  • When the defender kicking in plays on and runs along the boundary so you get ready for a long kick outside 50 near the boundary only the AI player to kick it at a 75degree angle directly In-front of goal to a pack of players 20m away from the goal or on the full.
  • AI switching in defense and decide to go to a 2 on 1 disadvantage on stronger difficulties isn’t too smart.
  • AI missing from the goal square randomly
  • AI clipping through the floor at the center bounce or ball ups
  • Ruck does one contest then irrelevant position player replaces him in the ruck for every contest after that and the AI runs the ball out of the middle the same way every time.
  • AI runs through the mark; I don't get 50. (or rather they shouldn’t be running through the mark in it's pathing)
  • Just had the AI standing next to the goal post while my team was kicking in from a point, he played on and got instantly tackled by the guy standing next to the goal post.

Sound

• Kick a goal in the GF or one-sided attendance I want to hear a huge roar.
  • The moan that's been there since live 2 when an away goal is kicked is terrible – smaller roar\claps or booooo from home side depending on context of like interstate or big club vs small club in Melbourne should be taking place
  • Chants sound like 2-3 people and need to be improved
  • While playing another team for example Syndey, Freo chant started up every time I kicked a goal
  • Saying things like (paraphrase) from Gary Lyon “not playing for one another, that’s why they are losing” when they are dominating and other out of context clips triggered
  • Commentary should have just recorded the same statement over including the team names rather than clipping it + when you're putting lines together rather than just saying them whole it's always going to be average. Do acknowledge that it could get more reputative, so it needs more built up and well cycled dialogue.

Gameplay

• The ball is randomly stuck on the ground and nobody can pick it up. Must give away a free to get the game going again. Happens randmoly
  • Maybe they could introduce a stronger mechanic where you push R1 and kick and the game will automatically try and kick to the most open player in front of you.
  • While some improvements like spare man, strategy are still limited in actual influence on how the is game being played, like what if I want my forwards to hold their positions and have numbers when I kick there? Or what if I want everyone out and the full forward isolated in a one on one? What if I want the stoppages more congested or what if I want more release players on the outside? I can’t really choose any of that which makes most games feel the same tactically. You can’t really choose how high your team presses up the field or deep it defends. Nor are there any tactics for specific players.
  • You can't change the default quarter length from 2.5 minutes. Every exhibition game I must manually set it.
  • You can't change the default kick in player and second ruckman in the role’s menu. Every exhibition game I must manually set it.
  • The first ruck only seems to spend about 50% of time on ground. I spent most of my last game with Dixon in the ruck, Tom Rockliff at full forward and Lycett on the bench.
  • Consider removing "2nd ruck", in favour of having three (3) secondary ruck options for each of the FW/CT/BK thirds/zones of the field.
  • Controls clunky - Pressing Y to mark, tackle & dump kick is silly. It can be very difficult to tell who has the ball sometimes, so I’m trying to tackle, and I dump kick. I try to mark, and I dump kick. It’d fine if I could change control layouts, but you are forced to cop the default layout.
  • The other downside is it doesn't pause when switching. This has caused me to handball/kick in the wrong direction on more than one occasion. I haven't fiddled with Movement Speed yet as I don't know what it does.
  • Giving away frees for charging is becoming super frustrating, can’t use any body due to the risk of giving away a free half the time. That and giving away frees for throwing the ball, when you’ve kicked it 50 metres while being tackled.
  • Players fend of 3 tackles in a row far too often.
  • Kicked to a player who I thought was making a lead. Turns out he was sprinting to the bench and had no intention of getting the ball and it goes right through him and his opponent and out for a throw in.
  • Slow game down further
  • People still feel it’s a tackle fest
  • Long kicks, hack kicks using the triangle button Perhaps too easy.
  • Framerate tends to drop badly.
  • Set shots are way, way too easy. But flip joystick was annoying in the past so don't bring that back.
  • Players standing around the ball doing nothing as it sits on the ground

Pro mode\Coach Career

• Created character is selected for both Vic sides. The game things I am Metro on the menu. Game thinks I am Metro on the ground. Camera thinks I am Country. So, I can control my player from the view of someone else.
  • If you call for the ball in be a pro mode, and they face the boundary, it will be kicked out on the full
  • Playing in a lot of positions such has half back flank is frustrating to get ball from AI
  • With a career with Dangerfield, at Round 10 he suddenly disappeared from the team roster, now I can’t make changes to the team either. Another Player had finished the season and had Brodie Smith, Ben Davis and Rory Sloane are the only 2021 crows that remain on the list.
  • Game froze in be a pro season when there were 3 mins left, I got subbed and just clicked finish match and it just hung for about 2 minutes
  • Kicks are marked by the opposition all the time or are my teammates bad (unsure on this one)
  • My coach career keeps crashing (error code CE-34878-0 when I try to go into team manager. Tried closing and reopening the app 3 times.
  • Too many injuries at the start of career (Getting 5-6-week injuries every game)
  • To be able to change the oppositions jersey in career mode. Getting kind of annoying having Home games when the jerseys are clashing and there's nothing to do to change the oppositions kit.
  • would be nice to be able to view stats in pro career properly. I want to know how many AFL games and goals I have scored across how many clubs with how many premierships. Not how many wins and losses I have accumulated since u18s and in the 2s.
  • Jersey numbers in pro mode. It's 2022 and for some reason a large number of crow’s players have numbers in the 70s and 80s. I'm stuck with my 47 too so it would be nice to also be able to change to a free number.
  • view a player’s attributes in team management? How am I supposed to know who to put on the wings and flanks etc. It doesn't even show their height.
  • Introduce into BAP the Under 18 equivalent comps for WA (WAFL Colts) and SA (SANFL U18), so can have a more authentic Rookie career experience as a kid starting career outside of Victoria. Even if fictional teammates still, its a more authentic narrative for all major footy states then.

Camera

• Doesn’t follow flow of play well on all settings. A player does say that the best setting are as follows:
  • Play Direction
    Let’s you play kinda side on, but slightly angled in the direction of the in-possession team’s goals to see leads up the ground.
    (‘Dynamic’ angles in direction of goals that the ball is in, which sucks coming out of defence)
    On ‘Play Direction’, I go with:
    Distance: Far
    Zoom: 55
    Height: 55
    And so it’s not too disorienting,
    Rotation Speed: 30
    Movement Speed: 30 . But even so, if all other camera are receiving poorly reception, or need the player take long time to edit, will the target audience be willing to do this? Perhaps finding a best camera option that’s been edited with different slider options as default will be something to consider. A bit like changing game speed mentioned earlier to slow the game down more.
  • Should move and be moved after a mark instead of fixed position
  • You can't have the camera zoomed too far out or the graphics start cutting out. Any zoom less than about thirty and I start getting regular half seconds of black screen during gameplay. Optimisation here is key.

Players

• Players like Gawn are the size of Caleb Daniel
  • Players ratings need adjusting.
  • Players positions need adjusting.
  • A lot of editing options are not there for woman (I think that can do equal or more damage to message then to what it might be trying to prevent)
  • Nic Newman kept ending up as a main ruckman. I went to team management and thought I got him out of there and Kruezer back there but later in another game he back there and when went in to change him it shows restriction and cannot move him out of that position.
  • A player spent hours on some of the lists fixing player ratings, positions and team line-ups. Only to have 2 Eric Hipwoods pop up (1 replacing Allen Christensen) and multiple players wearing the same number on the field.

• Finding matches is a big issue for casual
  • Ranked should NOT be using 99 custom teams or certain presents that are extremely strong. Otherwise everyone just plays the OP team.
  • Extreme lag despite internet speed among australians

Other

• Make a classic seasons and history mode like (live 2004?) where you replay classics (get license for older players?)
  • As an example, Sydney fans massively outnumbered Eagles fans even though it was at Optus.
  • Robotic\unsmooth animations in kicking and marking
  • Docklands roof to be closed if rain predicted or set - and if rain set - then default Wind to Nil during play at docklands. (and obviously rain set to Nil too)
  • ANZAC round & Indigenous round themed match intros.
Thank you , there is some good stuff here, I cant promise everything will be done but I will certainly give it good push. I'm not the type that likes to make posts so please don't expect to see me too often. Having said this, I'm happy I made the post , even if Ross beats me up with his lawyer hat , it was worth it just to get this information.

I can only go on the data I have, but am happy to limit it to the modern generation, I would have to wonder about returns and trade-ins, so I don't think you are there yet. Sales to me are important, but not as important as the quality of the game, counter to your beliefs, AFL Live is the certainly a better game than AFL Evolution 1, regardless of it being a ten year old game on PS3.

In any case, I'm pretty sure people here don't care about the sales, or the past in general, and are looking forward, to hearing about your plans for AFL Evolution 2.

Maybe after AFL Evolution 2 is patched and has ongoing support, it will become the better game, as it should. The great thing for people here is that they now have a line to you, and you can make that happen.
Hello Ross, thank you for stopping me at 4 posts, that 2484 (and climbing) number was giving me heart palpitations. Sebastian

Good s**t Wicked Witch.

Also does anyone get the visual glitch on Adelaide Oval where the screen will start flashing and going different colours? I thought it was my screen playing up at first but turns out it only ever happens when playing at Adelaide Oval. Example below.

Last edited:

Thank you , there is some good stuff here, I cant promise everything will be done but I will certainly give it good push. I'm not the type that likes to make posts so please don't expect to see me too often. Having said this, I'm happy I made the post , even if Ross beats me up with his lawyer hat , it was worth it just to get this information.

Thanks for the acknowledgement and passing it on.

In my opinion as long as there is a clear suitable official advertised way for information to be given to the developer, there's every chance to build a strong relationship with players and working together.

At the moment it's hard to tell if that's comments on the AFL Evo page, messenger with the page or WW email so your appearence was appreciated and convenient to ensure it reaches.

Last edited:
Interesting that with a passionate community here just frothing to give them feedback, they're more concerned with debating over sales numbers.
Perhaps gives an indication as to why BA was dropped in favour of WW.

"If we can get nearly as many sales with WW developing the game, and they will do it for x amount less, why wouldn't we go with them?"

I'm not the type that likes to make posts so please don't expect to see me too often.
Why not have someone be here then? One of your biggest failings as a company imo is your lack of communication. Why not have a staff member here engaging with the community, taking feedback etc. Its free ffs.

For all the salt, I love Ross’ honesty. No reasonable game expects perfection but we love hearing our feedback is heard.

My big thing is how easy godlkicking is. If you acknowledge it can’t be patched, I’d be happy with being told that. I’m not demanding an answer, just providing an example that gamers can be told bad news and accept that making games is hard. So yeah WW, engage with the community more.

Last edited:
Perhaps gives an indication as to why BA was dropped in favour of WW.

"If we can get nearly as many sales with WW developing the game, and they will do it for x amount less, why wouldn't we go with them?"
That's what I found interesting. It was a very clear indicator of what factors they were concerned with when making the decision to switch developers.

As you know, I have never practised as a lawyer, I'm currently not registered to do so ;)

Don't let the 2484+ posts worry you, I'm an absolute minnow in here compared to others, and probably 2300 of those posts are pre-2012.

You shouldn't be a stranger on here, while there are some that will just rip into you (it's a forum), you know that there will be many that are thankful for the insight that you can bring, and more so, thankful that they can be heard directly.

This is your thread, I'll step out.

Sebastian Giompaolo
Free* research/bug reporting for you, known involvement for us, better games for everyone.

*payment by way of having our commentary names in the game accepted :)
Wow, those were the days! I remember getting my name in AFL 2005 or AFL 2006 due to helping the BigFooty resident dev (at the time) Fiery Hawk with some small thing back in the day. Nowadays I get my name in the game because I help make games.

I'll never forget racing to the create a player section to hear Dennis Cometti call out my name (and when he did it correctly too I was even more chuffed!). The only time I get excited about it now, is when we make internal memes out of the outtakes or bad takes of our own names. :p

That's what I found interesting. It was a very clear indicator of what factors they were concerned with when making the decision to switch developers.

You'd have to be incredibly naive to believe that this isn't the overriding factor that drives most business decisions.

With all the technology BA have developed over the years for other games, that can be re-used regardless of the sport, maybe they can put in a more competitive bid the next time the rights are available as they won't need to build them from scratch. Competition is good.

But that's for the future, here's hoping WW can fix the bugs in Evo 2 here and now :)

As the Bombers try to mount a comeback in the last quarter, they find Jake Stringer loose on the back flank. However, Stringer decides this is the perfect time to turn heel and do the football equivalent of tearing off your shirt to reveal an nWo shirt underneath. In a virtual middle finger to the Bombers faithful, he just pumps it out on the full back where it came from to give the Crows the chance the seal the game.

Ah yes, the 'Lewis Johnston in the 2013 Showdown' manoeuvre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not have someone be here then? One of your biggest failings as a company imo is your lack of communication. Why not have a staff member here engaging with the community, taking feedback etc. Its free ffs.
Gotta have a way to filter out the duplicate posts, the detail-lacking ‘its cr@p’ comments, and the random other junk thrown around in the community.

which is why I propose the community ‘working group’... the passionate ones of us that can collate the USEFUL info FOR FREE*.
Then Sebastian Giompaolo or WW don’t need to employ someone just to look through tons of nuffy posts talking junk. They would get the feedback in a useful form, like what BallaratBulldog put together with even more detail.

Wow, those were the days! I remember getting my name in AFL 2005 or AFL 2006 due to helping the BigFooty resident dev (at the time) Fiery Hawk with some small thing back in the day. Nowadays I get my name in the game because I help make games.

I'll never forget racing to the create a player section to hear Dennis Cometti call out my name (and when he did it correctly too I was even more chuffed!). The only time I get excited about it now, is when we make internal memes out of the outtakes or bad takes of our own names. :p

Wow Fiery Hawk, that's a blast from the past. I remember checking the threads every day to see if he'd posted any more inside info.

I got my name in DBC14 thanks to the "post your name and get it in the game" thread but then it got turfed out of the successive games. :( I was shattered.

Last edited:

Haha yeah loved that.
I wanted to propose getting our faces in the game...but that’s a fair bit more effort for the graphics team.
(My profile pic is me from Ashes Cricket 2009. Create a player: Skin Type #3, Custom Head #49... boom! )

Gotta have a way to filter out the duplicate posts, the detail-lacking ‘its cr@p’ comments, and the random other junk thrown around in the community.

which is why I propose the community ‘working group’... the passionate ones of us that can collate the USEFUL info FOR FREE*.
Then Sebastian Giompaolo or WW don’t need to employ someone just to look through tons of nuffy posts talking junk. They would get the feedback in a useful form, like what BallaratBulldog put together with even more detail.
I don't visit there much because it's a cliquey cesspool but PlanetCricket has a bug reporting thread which has a preset template to follow. Stuff like platform, situation, game mode, game version, bug description etc. No discussion, just post your s**t and get out.

Only worth it if they're going to read it though.

Is there a big difference in players like that in the game? If I used Scott Pendlebury rather than Macrae would he have less of an influence no matter who’s controlling him?

That's a good question. I think it comes down to how often they randomly disappear from the game. Some mids just go completely AWOL, not as bad as rucks but they do disappear. Some get tagged by the AI harder than others too i reckon. Bont definitely does.

Personally i find having a good midfield performance in a game one of the more enjoyable things to do rather than have a random back pocket end up on top of the disposals at the end. A dominant player who impacts the game is always nice, regardless of whether you win.

I'm still working out what teams mids i enjoy playing with and who are just straight up crap. As in, i can't get them into the game.

Dangerfield, Bont, Jelly, Treloar, Walters, Pendlebury, Oliver, i've struggled to play with against the AI.

Had some big games with Cripps and Fyfe.

Macrae is on another level though. I reckon he plays 90% of the game in the mid, and always pops up around the ground. His rating is only like 87 as well, compared to Bont who's 92 from memory and can't get anywhere near it. Even when i switch their positions around Macrae still finds the footy.

All you need is one dedicated bugs thread which might exist already

Macrae is on another level though. I reckon he plays 90% of the game in the mid, and always pops up around the ground. His rating is only like 87 as well, compared to Bont who's 92 from memory and can't get anywhere near it. Even when i switch their positions around Macrae still finds the footy.

Just like real life

Also does anyone get the visual glitch on Adelaide Oval where the screen will start flashing and going different colours? I thought it was my screen playing up at first but turns out it only ever happens when playing at Adelaide Oval. Example below.

Adelrave Oval

All I can say is I'd rather Big Ant make AFL and it's not even close. Their Cricket games aren't perfect but by jeez they absolutely demolish WW attempts at their AFL games. AFL Live was made nearly 10 years ago and still beats what's being put out sadly. As an avid AFL fan that isn't something I want to admit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back