Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

6.5 and 6 respectively, but it's really irrelevant because Evolution was never reviewed by either outlet and it's unlikely Evo 2 will be either, so there's no comparison point. Also, I take reviews for AFL games and any niche sports title with a large grain of salt because it often feels like the reviewers lack perspective or an understanding of what is important in the game.
Surely Tristan Ogilvie or Lucy O'Brien from IGN will review it

“Ashes Cricket isn’t perfect, but that’s unfortunately to be expected from Big Ant cricket games at launch.”

“If you can get over the numerous yet humorous glitches and expect them to be patched out later, then this is a decent cricket simulator”

“Like an ambitious rookie, AO Tennis appeared promising, with alleged photo realistic looks and authenticity backed by a extensive data built AI. But Big Ant Studios' production can't live up to these expectations”

“At its best, AO Tennis is a clumsily controlled simulation of the sport. At its worst, it’s underdeveloped, under-featured and entirely broken in certain areas.”

“With its poor presentation, lack of content, and frustrating controls, AO Tennis in its current state is subpar at best, and requires much more refinement to even meet the standard of last generation's tennis titles. Rather than a Roger Federer-esque ace, AO Tennis is more akin to a double fault whose shots don't even make the net.”

“While the presentation of the Australian Open is quite entertaining, the overall experience with its limited freedom of movement and strong focus on automatisms is mediocre at best.”

Maybe you fellas should concentrate a little more on your own game launches before having a crack at the opposition.
Post up some review excerpts of WW games so we can see how they compare.

What kind of Metacritic scores have they been getting?

I think we can all agree that Big Ant should still have the AFL licence, but the BA poster here is a bit of a dick which makes it hard to support them

S
There is no timing to it. It's all about positioning and, in higher difficulties, things like bumping and bracing.

I personally think it has improved dramatically. I love that positioning is much more important than timing.
But there is some timing element to the bracing, bumping, positioning right?

If I try to bump almost every time it changes to a cross and I don’t even attempt to mark. Brace seems to do nothing at all and I’ve tried every positioning.

Any other tips?

Can someone help me out how to stop opposition players being able to run free from stoppages (primarly wingmen) and the AI does nothing.

Same thing happened when a FB ran and the FF didn’t follow him. I don’t know if its the difficulty or the changing sliders.

I think we can all agree that Big Ant should still have the AFL licence, but the BA poster here is a bit of a dick which makes it hard to support them
I don't think that's very fair. Ross was extremely generous with his time and the way he interacted with the community here back prior to AFL Live releasing and post-release. He answered questions, gave us insight, posted up clips and screenshots, sought input and feedback. So much more than we've ever seen from WW at any point. As I recall, BA even setup live demos at EB Games prior to release.

WW channel their pre-release info and take their input from a YouTuber. They also apparently needed said YouTuber to give them very basic, fundamental recommendations about how an AFL video game should be designed despite them having developed three already.

He wasn't being a dick at all, he answered what was asked of him and people actually got mad even though he never actually trashed the game.

He wasn't being a dick at all, he answered what was asked of him and people actually got mad even though he never actually trashed the game.
He thinly veiled trashed the game, blind Freddy could read it

At best was smugly ambiguous

He thinly veiled trashed the game, blind Freddy could read it

At best was smugly ambiguous

Being ambiguous isn't trashing the game, everyone can easily trash the game because there are many reasons to but he didn't.

The way people carried on was like he shot one of their family members.

In 8 years time when we are on AFL X 1 people will be banging on about giving it back to Wicked Witch because AFL Evolution 2 was not great but a decent base. The nostalgia to what was all in all a barely playable AFL game is bizarre on this board.

If the AFL were smart they'd license out to anyone who wants to make a game but sounds like TruBlu own the sole rights #sad.

Being ambiguous isn't trashing the game, everyone can easily trash the game because there are many reasons to but he didn't.

Meh I just want an awesome AFL game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor gripe in the scheme of things, but what exactly is the point of the XP system? I understand the little in game goals get you to try new things (at a stretch), but each game I get XP and maybe go to a new level and...nothing happens.

FIFA have a great system where you get XP and the higher you go the more cosmetic content you can earn - some new boots, a new ball design. Minor stuff that you don’t lose out by not engaging with, but if it’s your cup of tea it incentivises you to level up.

This just tells me I’m level whatever, and I have a certain amount of XP to go up a level. Alright? Cheers I guess?

Minor gripe in the scheme of things, but what exactly is the point of the XP system? I understand the little in game goals get you to try new things (at a stretch), but each game I get XP and maybe go to a new level and...nothing happens.

FIFA have a great system where you get XP and the higher you go the more cosmetic content you can earn - some new boots, a new ball design. Minor stuff that you don’t lose out by not engaging with, but if it’s your cup of tea it incentivises you to level up.

This just tells me I’m level whatever, and I have a certain amount of XP to go up a level. Alright? Cheers I guess?
I simulated a season in Career Mode and got reduced XP which I found strange. XP needs fine tuning!

Playing Vic metro vs Country in career mode. After playing for country in round 1, was strangely picked for metro in round 2. Checked in team management and I was named at centre instead of the usual chf. Game starts and after a few seconds I that realised that in fact there are TWO of me, one on each team. Camera is following who I should be controlling but blue arrow is pointing towards the second me who I can't even see half the time because the camera (Pro mode) is focused on the 'real' me.

Yeah, it is a little strange how he chose to go down a decidedly ambiguous pathway with his comment. As a Carlton supporter I would've thought he would at least say that having Patrick Cripps on the cover was a positive thing, but no. Nothing.

It would probably be better (for himself as much as anything) if he just didn't respond at all to that question in the first place.

Playing Vic metro vs Country in career mode. After playing for country in round 1, was strangely picked for metro in round 2. Checked in team management and I was named at centre instead of the usual chf. Game starts and after a few seconds I that realised that in fact there are TWO of me, one on each team. Camera is following who I should be controlling but blue arrow is pointing towards the second me who I can't even see half the time because the camera (Pro mode) is focused on the 'real' me.

Yeah, myself and another user on here had the same experience. Quite funny in a way - though it made that particular match unplayable for me so I just exited it and moved on to the next match.

I simulated a season in Career Mode and got reduced XP which I found strange. XP needs fine tuning!
From what I recall the first Evo had trophies/achievements for reaching certain levels. The reduced xp for simming was probably to reward those that actually play the games, otherwise everyone would finish the other achievements and then just sim the remaining xp before putting the game down. I don't think they have the level trophies in this one, but they probably just cbf changing something so unnecessary. More important tasks to complete.

Yeah, myself and another user on here had the same experience. Quite funny in a way - though it made that particular match unplayable for me so I just exited it and moved on to the next match.
Oh, okay. Sorry, I didn't see that.
We're you back in your proper team after that?

I don't want to make interchanges manually though. I still want automated subs.
Depending what quarter length you're running, subs are hardly necessary as often as the computer makes them for you. I changed mine to manual and then just check team management halfway through each quarter to see if any changes are needed (only sub when players energy hits yellow/orange).

I understand you still want automated, but the developers still haven't fixed this issue or the issue of players ending up in completely wrong positions throughout the game because of subs.So this is the best option you have to keep things realistic and to ensure you don't snap the disc when Brent Daniels ends up rucking when Jacobs goes for a rest 5 minutes into the first quarter.

I'm preferring the pro player mode where you are just one player. Mid-forward position is spot on. You can spectate the ruck contest and watch the inside mids fight it out, then call for the ball when you gain possession and attack the goals. Very satisfying.

Overall the game is a bit glitchy, but I reckon WW has nailed the feel of the game. Fun distraction while isolating with no real footy to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back