AFL Evolution - 2018 season update

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball still goes through the post lol
I reckon I hit the post 4 times in one game where the ball morphed through and it was counted as a goal
Also what’s with players taking so long to pick up the ball?
You almost have no time to handball it which means you have to tap it or kick it off the ground
Obviously this is on the higher difficulties like very hard and legend but still. Should always have time to dispose of the ball unless there’s genuine congestion
Not because you have 2 meters of space and they just take too long to pick it up

Actually do some research on players strengths and weaknesses.

Actually do some research on player positions.

Allow players to have a secondary position.

Completely scrap the old engine and develop a new one from ground up, they've had three cracks at it and all three have been s**t.

Actually do some research on players strengths and weaknesses.

Actually do some research on player positions.

Allow players to have a secondary position.

Completely scrap the old engine and develop a new one from ground up, they've had three cracks at it and all three have been s**t.
Sounds Great! I agree with you; research the player positions is great because it would make it easier for people to place a player in a postion.

Asking WW. I downloaded the game this morning, played a single game to test it out & I found a distinct lack of performance from the game. It's seems to be running quite slowly. Could just be me, but i had 3 or 4 set shots at goal that jumped & resulted in me kicking it out on the full.

Just wondering whether it's from the update or just from me?
Happens to me aswell. It's so annoying!

Starting to think I may be an anomaly with this delete saved data thing, I didn’t have any saved gameplay/seasons due to a replacement PS4 5 months ago but still had made custom lists saved with created players and my own creations which I had to download off my players hub, in my 2018 pack download all of these players have just reverted to the delisted players list where in the edit player hub I have discovered you can actually edit their number if they are on this delisted list.

I was the same. Except had a coach career save file that i was at about 2023 in. Was still active and playable after the update. Just got really lucky i'd imagine.
I've had no issues with gameplay yet, actually enjoying it a bit more playing in the NEAFL, as its so scrappy you can actually win contests etc. Made copies of all the 2017 delistees playing with state league clubs and sent them to their respective teams, and still had all my Thunder create a players from the 2017 version (I made NT Thunder for the VFL in the last version). Just wish geurnsey editing was available

Enjoying the update. It seems to be running really smoothly for me now, it's a pretty good sports game to be fair.

There are a few things I would look at in this game to improve on:

- ball physics, just with when the ball bounces on the ground, it doesn't have to bounce at the same speed away from the play and out of bounds, it could be more realistic in terms of, sometimes the ball bouncing straight up or slowing down before bouncing forwards to the boundary or even stopping before the boundary.
- marking, perhaps a little more control on what type of mark can be taken, such as an attempt at the big mark with a button combo, like what was present early on when the game was released. (This is a purely subjective critique).

- lastly, a jumper creator, would be cool.

- maybe just more unique skills and some graphics upgrades, periodically upgrading the engine. etc.

- released on the Nintendo switch! :D portable!

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the difficulty settings even after the update. On Hard, I win fairly comfortably each time... actually spend more time focusing on the Match/Season Objectives than trying to win the game.
On Very Hard, I get thumped by over 100 points.

I can never win a scrap... always get bumped over, and all my other players run forward of the ball.... so when they win in, they're away.
Then, the CPU plays a possession game, completely not giving me a chance to even be involved in contests.
Any tips on what I can do to improve?

(I do sorta like the fact that a harder difficulty makes an opponent better, instead of making you worse..... except that the possession game completely screws me because I can't fight it with 'an extra man in defence' tactic or anything.... also, I want to keep the sliders as close to default as possible, so I'm used to them for when I play online).

I find it amusing sometimes that a hand pass travels further and with some "venom" than a kick at times. Think like the Hodge handball in the 2008 grand final but a bit more aggressive... surprises me!

I did a set shot kick for goal into the wind at almost full power on the kick meter, it barely traveled the distance for a legal mark.... yet one of my players still jumped up and took the grab (very surprised there was no play on call).

Sometimes the ball physics remind me of AFL 99, kicking a long bomb from the center square and having it bounce through for a goal is a magic trick! I mean when you kick it after not directly running through the middle (where if the ball bounced straight it would go through for a behind, but it bounces in such a way like a leg spin cricket delivery!).

I can get a little too enthusiastic and thus get caught with a holding the ball call by the umpire. I keep my finger on the acceleration trigger just as I mark (gotta learn to let go) and then get caught holding the ball after being told to play on.

I'm not timing my marks as well as I used to for some reason, thus I'll lose more marking contests. I counter this by going for the spoil (which seems to work better) or occasionally playing dirty and bumping the player contesting the mark with me. This seems to be a good tactic, as I can get the timing right and rarely get pinged for rough conduct :D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reading a lot of crap about heritage jumpers and stadia, but has the gameplay improved at all?
Haven't bought the update, but seeing as it's a DLC and not a new game I wouldn't expect much to change. Thankfully there's still the sliders (and I think they added a couple more) so you can customise it until you find a good balance.

I'm reading a lot of crap about heritage jumpers and stadia, but has the gameplay improved at all?
I’ve played about 5 or 6 games since the patch/update (at afl level) and they’ve been some of the best games I’ve played with AFL Evo (which is saying something as I’ve always loved the game)

WW have seemingly done a great job of balancing the game in this latest patch as even though you can still win big and lose big, you always feel like you can work your way back in when your down or just as easily lose a lead if you slack off (prior to this update it felt like it was quite easy for the game to swing one way or the other)

I think so, yes. It runs really smooth now.

Does it still do that thing where if you handball forwards it sometimes hangs in the air forever before being intercepted by a player running the other way?

Anyone know how to sort out the game crashing on the loading screen? Just downloaded the update and have no idea on how to get past it .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Xtreme mate I saw you mentioned in the other AFLE thread about home ground advantage.

Have you found a way to resolve it?

I've been simming AI v AI and the home team 9/10 win the game.

I simmed two last week, Adelaide v Carlton at Etihad and then at Adelaide Oval. Worst side vs the best (going by AFLE's team ratings).

Carlton beat Adelaide at Etihad by 36 points and then Adelaide beat Carlton at Adelaide Oval by 108.

It's almost ruining the experience for me. I've been messing with the sliders and will try somehow find a way where it's not so lopsided, but do you have any ideas?

Cheers

Xtreme mate I saw you mentioned in the other AFLE thread about home ground advantage.

Have you found a way to resolve it?

I've been simming AI v AI and the home team 9/10 win the game.

I simmed two last week, Adelaide v Carlton at Etihad and then at Adelaide Oval. Worst side vs the best (going by AFLE's team ratings).

Carlton beat Adelaide at Etihad by 36 points and then Adelaide beat Carlton at Adelaide Oval by 108.

It's almost ruining the experience for me. I've been messing with the sliders and will try somehow find a way where it's not so lopsided, but do you have any ideas?

Cheers

Sadly not, I actually never investigated it too much aside from when playing. I've done AI v AI games (another one of my quirks with the pc version. I record the AI v AI contests and watch them later for fun :D). Didn't pay too much attention to home ground advantage in those situations, in fact I thought the results reflected more on the ratings on the teams as well ? but then I never really played many weaker teams against each other.

I used Hawthorn at the MCG quite often and while there was the occasional Hawthorn thumping win (eg: they commonly beat the WCE, Sydney..... games against Geelong were split). They lost quite a few games (Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs etc) despite being the home team.

I do feel there is a home ground advantage when playing single player. But it might also be a momentum thing ? Granted I've not tested what happens if it's the home team getting thumped by the away side.

Sadly not, I actually never investigated it too much aside from when playing. I've done AI v AI games (another one of my quirks with the pc version. I record the AI v AI contests and watch them later for fun :D). Didn't pay too much attention to home ground advantage in those situations, in fact I thought the results reflected more on the ratings on the teams as well ? but then I never really played many weaker teams against each other.

I used Hawthorn at the MCG quite often and while there was the occasional Hawthorn thumping win (eg: they commonly beat the WCE, Sydney..... games against Geelong were split). They lost quite a few games (Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs etc) despite being the home team.

I do feel there is a home ground advantage when playing single player. But it might also be a momentum thing ? Granted I've not tested what happens if it's the home team getting thumped by the away side.
I play the PC version too and do the same as you do (except for the recording of games - because the simulation option of AFLE in season mode is so out of whack I do mine manually and set up the 2018 season from an excel spreadsheet) and I've noticed it really stands out.

If you're playing Geelong v Hawthorn at the G I'd assume as both teams 'home' games are there there wouldn't be a difference. But if you AI v AI sim lets say, Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, then do it again at the MCG, I'm sure you'd see Sydney thrash Carlton and Carlton thrash Sydney.

It's very odd. I've tested it for best v worst teams, and also for teams ranked the same overall.

I did one earlier tonight, Adelaide (81 OVR) v Sydney (79 OVR) at AO. Adelaide won by 75 odd points.

Am doing another one now - Adelaide v Geelong (79 OVR) at AO.

It's currently Adelaide leading 51-6 with 7 minutes left in the 2nd term.

It's driving me nuts!! Lol

What quarter lengths do you usually sim ?

I've done 3.5 - 5 7.5 and 10 minute quarters. I did a 20 minute quarter length a few times... stopped doing it when I realised I could play several games and still get realistic scores on shorter quarters :D.

I'll give simming other teams a go in the next few days. I find it interesting that a home team bias has been coded into the game. I'll sound like I'm putting WW down.... but I wouldn't have expected it (like the rubber banding in some car racing games).

What quarter lengths do you usually sim ?

I've done 3.5 - 5 7.5 and 10 minute quarters. I did a 20 minute quarter length a few times... stopped doing it when I realised I could play several games and still get realistic scores on shorter quarters :D.

I'll give simming other teams a go in the next few days. I find it interesting that a home team bias has been coded into the game. I'll sound like I'm putting WW down.... but I wouldn't have expected it (like the rubber banding in some car racing games).
I'm simming 10min quarters. I've got a set of sliders now that give me realistic scores and stats so it's pretty bang on but the home field thing is killing it!

I've compared the stats and scores I'm getting from the simmed games to the averages from the actual 2017 AFL season.

The range for total score in a game (both teams) came to between 140-220.

So I will get scores often of say 126-40 or 110-35. When you add up both teams score it falls within that 140-220 bracket, but it's just so lopsided. Seems I never get close games either.

It's the end of the 3rd term in this Crows-Cats game I'm simming and the Cats pulled it back but still trail 71-33.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back