AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this be a business and or publishing problem more so than a WW problem though??

Maybe there was a cut off date for development, is the AFL in communication with them saying "this game is important to us and the sport, can you please update lists for the new year and upgrade the game", etc....

we don't know.
Yeah that's a fair enough point.

They can still respond to their customers on FB or twitter though surely, even if the answer is "yeah, sorry not happening", "out of our control" or "Ask the AFL" etc.

Wouldn't have thought a tiny patch to allow for jumper number changes would be too big an ask, (shouldn't be an issue in the first place!!) and really what's the point of having social media profiles if they aren't prepared to use them?

My point is they don't have to worry about updating lists or providing a large 2018 update, when there are plenty of great fan hub creations for 2018 first year players. All we need is the ability to change the numbers of some of these creations pre-draft (some of mine included... my Paddy Dow is the top downloaded version but i created him pre draft so his number is incorrect, same with my Rayner), plus all the free agent movements that can simply be updated with a number fix.

Why they have locked jumper numbers at all leaves me completely dumbfounded. Piss poor design decision.

Sooooooo.... it may have been a coincidence, but if anyone follows Tony Olango (new West Coast player) on Instagram, his story today showed Liam Ryan getting facescanned. In front of him is a TV with AFL Evolution on it. I have no idea if it was just for a Foxsports ad or something, but they had scanners and cameras on all sides

Sooooooo.... it may have been a coincidence, but if anyone follows Tony Olango (new West Coast player) on Instagram, his story today showed Liam Ryan getting facescanned. In front of him is a TV with AFL Evolution on it. I have no idea if it was just for a Foxsports ad or something, but they had scanners and cameras on all sides
Was on my way to say something similar

Was just watching ten news in Perth just now and they had a story about the new draftees doing something at Etihad and they briefly showed someone getting facescanned next to an AFL Evolution sign and the game being played (2018 update almost confirmed I’d say)

Anyone know an easy way to change guernsey numbers for sides?

It looks like the only way this can be done is by creating the player from scratch.
Jersey numbers for Licensed players cannot be changed.
There needs to be a simple option in Team Manager “assign jersey numbers”

It looks like the only way this can be done is by creating the player from scratch.
Jersey numbers for Licensed players cannot be changed.
There needs to be a simple option in Team Manager “assign jersey numbers”

Sorry if i've missed it earlier, but how does the numbering actually work for licensed players? Does it just take the next highest number after their old one or something

Sorry if i've missed it earlier, but how does the numbering actually work for licensed players? Does it just take the next highest number after their old one or something

For example, I've moved Rockliff from Brisbane to Port, and he's taken his "preferred number 38" with him.
The preferred number can't be changed for some reason when editing a player (unless you create a new player from scratch, but then you can't use the likeness unless you develop it yourself from scratch.

An extremely long way of making sure they've got the correct numbers might be to make sure all numbers are taken by random players apart from the number you want, (before drafting in your player).
For example, trade Lever out of Adelaide, fill all other numbers in with random players (leaving #6 open), then recruit in Gibbs.

On the plus side, a lot of the rookies that have been created have been created with the correct numbers.

Looks like some sort of update coming for the new season

Screenshot_20180122-155548.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For example, I've moved Rockliff from Brisbane to Port, and he's taken his "preferred number 38" with him.
The preferred number can't be changed for some reason when editing a player (unless you create a new player from scratch, but then you can't use the likeness unless you develop it yourself from scratch.

An extremely long way of making sure they've got the correct numbers might be to make sure all numbers are taken by random players apart from the number you want, (before drafting in your player).
For example, trade Lever out of Adelaide, fill all other numbers in with random players (leaving #6 open), then recruit in Gibbs.

On the plus side, a lot of the rookies that have been created have been created with the correct numbers.
Yes this is what had to be done in AFL Live 1 as well.

Looks like some sort of update coming for the new season

Screenshot_20180122-155548.png
That’s interesting

More than just an average update if Sheridan is being scanned (perhaps taking the chance to do a second sweep through all the teams)

I love that WW and tru blu finally seem to be taking AFL games seriously

That’s interesting

More than just an average update if Sheridan is being scanned (perhaps taking the chance to do a second sweep through all the teams)

I love that WW and tru blu finally seem to be taking AFL games seriously

It's pretty awesome...

I'm glad that since 1991, finally a game that is being upgraded.

I played this for a week and never touched it again. Just too many better games out there worth my time.

Lol, The AFL really are wasting a big opportunity to expand their audience overseas (ie what FIFA did), when they sanction updates to a sub-par game just for profit, if that. I'm still stuck playing Live 1, and it's still superior 7 years later.

Lol, The AFL really are wasting a big opportunity to expand their audience overseas (ie what FIFA did), when they sanction updates to a sub-par game just for profit, if that. I'm still stuck playing Live 1, and it's still superior 7 years later.

Yeah, i mean, it really isn't superior at all.

No doubting the game mechanics are very nice on AFL Live 1, and it is a great AFL game for its time, but if we are going into pros and cons territory, Evolution just has more depth and modern touches, as it should, it's newer and clearly more time was given in it's development. It's not perfect, i still don't really get the marking system, but considering that EA nor 2K will ever do AFL and it's an Australian gaming studio, it's a pretty good effort that we can get these great AFL, Cricket and Rugby games from companies like Big Ant and Wicked Witch, they do a lot of good things, considering they don't have 80 million dollar budgets. The end results are usually impressive for the time and budget they do have.

There was always the chance that in this era or say 2010-2020 we got nothing at all, because nobody would put money into local sporting gaming, but luckily that's not the case, you have both AFL Live 1 and AFL Evolution in a sport that spans 5 states in one country alone, which is infinitely better than having zero AFL games developed in a time where sports games require vaster budgets and features and game mechanics.

If all it takes is a specific list of elements to be patched to vastly improve the game, then it's merely first world problems and that's an understatement....

For me it's marking and improvements on smoother gameplay that would be ideal, updated roster, improved marking control ability. More skill movement variations maybe. Silkier graphics.

Last edited:

No doubting the game mechanics are very nice on AFL Live 1, and it is a great AFL game for its time, but if we are going into pros and cons territory, Evolution just has more depth and modern touches, as it should, it's newer and clearly more time was given in it's development. It's not perfect, i still don't really get the marking system, but considering that EA nor 2K will ever do AFL and it's an Australian gaming studio, it's a pretty good effort that we can get these great AFL, Cricket and Rugby games from companies like Big Ant and Wicked Witch, they do a lot of good things, considering they don't have 80 million dollar budgets. The end results are usually impressive for the time and budget they do have.

There was always the chance that in this era or say 2010-2020 we got nothing at all, because nobody would put money into local sporting gaming, but luckily that's not the case, you have both AFL Live 1 and AFL Evolution in a sport that spans 5 states in one country alone, which is infinitely better than having zero AFL games developed in a time where sports games require vaster budgets and features and game mechanics.

If all it takes is a specific list of elements to be patched to vastly improve the game, then it's merely first world problems and that's an understatement....

For me it's marking and improvements on smoother gameplay that would be ideal, updated roster, improved marking control ability. More skill movement variations maybe. Silkier graphics.

It's obviously the best AFL game to date, any one saying otherwise is just taking the piss. Even if this game got 1 out of 10, I'd still buy it to support it so in some far off place in time, I can finally play an AFL game worth my time. AFL evolution has moments of greatness in it, but there is just too much that grinds on me to the point where I ask myself why waste my time?

Personally, I think they should just step away from the realism off this game for a while and perhaps make a more arcadey version. Let's just focus on the fun factor like PES has tried to do, and step away from real world simulation, because that just isn't working right now. Hell, I'd take an NBA jam style AFL game over this. Let's just focus on massive marks, and big dudes crashing into each other at top speed. I'd play that.

The idea would be to use it as a marketing strategy. You're thinking of it the way the AFL are doing so, only for instant profit, and that means we'll never get a decent game, ever. The AFL blows millions on other things, why not invest long term in a billion dollar industry? That's what FIFA did, before anybody knew what it even was. "Evolution just has more depth and modern touches, as it should" It plays like the PS2 games.

It's obviously the best AFL game to date, any one saying otherwise is just taking the piss. Even if this game got 1 out of 10, I'd still buy it to support it so in some far off place in time, I can finally play an AFL game worth my time. AFL evolution has moments of greatness in it, but there is just too much that grinds on me to the point where I ask myself why waste my time?

Personally, I think they should just step away from the realism off this game for a while and perhaps make a more arcadey version. Let's just focus on the fun factor like PES has tried to do, and step away from real world simulation, because that just isn't working right now. Hell, I'd take an NBA jam style AFL game over this. Let's just focus on massive marks, and big dudes crashing into each other at top speed. I'd play that.

There's a lot of people lying to themselves about Evolution. I could pop out the old PS2 and get the same gameplay from the Premiership series. Live 1 is much more closer to a realistic simulation, which is remarkable since it was only Big Ant's first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back