AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok
I've been playing this more today...
Well, basically all day
and a few more thoughts.

In regard to the "which is the better base or foundation game Live 1 or Evolution" discussion:
AFL Live still is in my opinion but it's "fairly" close.
I'm getting a lot of really good footy plays, fast moving link up play in evolution.

Getting a Dangerfield type roving a ruck tap and sprinting away from the contest to put it lace out is something that was never really in Live1 and certainly nowhere near as enjoyable as it is in Evolution. Evolution I think offers a much better variety of fast footy. And probably more satisfying football moments.

Where AFL live1 excelled in was it's mechanics. It's control scheme was tight, nuanced and everything made sense from a footy perspective. That is far more important for a foundation game.

Although patches will polish up Evolution I doubt whether the overhaul necessary to make its controls as good as they need to be will come out of it.
I have more or less mastered marking (as much as it can be) but it really wasn't until I watched my son play it on beginner for the first time this arvo that I realised just how badly implemented it is.
He was just shaking his head going "what do I have to do"?
It should never be like that.

Another couple of minimal and basic gripes:
Field kicking animations look fine in open play but they still look very sub par up close on goal kicking replays.
Holding the ball up in front of their chests and then dropping it to their boot as if dropping a dirty nappy into the bin.

And they really need to implement some sort ball tracking so players on the field follow the ball with their heads. The amount times guys run around like headless chooks running the opposite direction as if there is no ball it's so jarring, and included in every sports game I've played in 3-4 years at least.
Bradman has it. Not hard.

When on the boundary you have to turn in a bit so you are facing the inside of the field when you hold down L2. Just like in real life! You can't be facing the sidelines as in real life you wouldn't be able to pull off a banana in that direction.
True but does the ball shape like a torpedo for anyone else also can any one make dribble kicks turn corners or do they only got in straight lines

Other then the hole fatigue no sim till on field matter of be a pro the inability to save mid game is killing me and has left me shaking my head. Is it just me?

I feel it's pretty accurate.
Literally all of your 300+ posts are bashing the game without offering anything constructive, even before it came out. Give it a rest ffs.

Don't know what I am doing differently, but last night and tonight I seem to be getting a lot more frees for the opposition holding the ball or throwing. Also noticing there seem to be a few (not many) more interchanges happening. Set to full auto on 5 min quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel it's pretty accurate.
We get it! You hate the game! Big Ant would be a 1000x better in your opinion. We've heard it 300+ times. Do something else besides whining!!!!

I stated in that petition thread that you bumped because "AFL De-evolution is so crap" that you're better off starting a campaign to petition the AFL to fund more into their games or To approach BigAntStudios with everyone else who really wants Big Ant back about making another pitch for the AFL game rights besides posting the same crap day-in, day-out.

Jesus, It's almost like you're getting paid for this. No person has this amount of time available in a day or the absolute care to post the same amount of posts everyday with the same subject. ("AFL De-evolution is a reskinned AFL Live 2. Big Ant would have done much better than Wicked Witch and we should all beg and plead Tru Blu to bring them back as AFL Live was a 1,000,000x better than AFL De-evolution.") If you're really that concerned about the quality of AFL video games and you really want to move Heaven and Earth to get back Big Ant to make another AFL game in-between their busy schedule of creating the Don Bradman and Rugby League Live series because you see Wicked Witch as the Anti-Christ of AFL Gaming.

Get off your arse and do something about it!!!!

You're not going to achieve anything if you keep posting that childish drivel! There are better ways for you to use your time than telling everyone that you hate AFL Evolution... Sorry "AFL De-evolution" for the 25th time this week. WE GET IT!!!!

Move on!

Jesus, At least the other guys who don't like the game at least provide actual criticism.

So I'm very much contemplating returning the game 2moro. Has wicked witch commented on patches they are bringing out?

I half wanna keep it to support the developers but I know I'm not going to put it back in the PlayStation in its current form.

Also, how does the returning policy at EB work? Do I need a reason? I also traded in a game that paid $20. What happens there?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think I found a slight way to not get outmarked as often.

In one game, I tried using both "triangle" and L2 (PS4 controls), and while I didn't outmark my opponent, I was able to hit the ball away from them before they could mark it (spoil the ball) and then it fell to the ground and made it a 50-50 contest to get it back.

It is far from ideal, but I stopped the opposition player marking three or four times by pressing these buttons and spoiling the ball, and then having one of my players swoop on it.

Also, another trick is to anticipate where the opposition player is going to kick the ball, and then, after it leaves their boot (since if you do when they have the ball, the game awards a 50 metre penalty against you), you can then attempt to mark, or at least hit it away. Try it. It won't work every time, but might stop you conceding one or two goals, and cause a couple of turnovers your way.

I think I found a slight way to not get outmarked as often.

In one game, I tried using both "triangle" and L2 (PS4 controls), and while I didn't outmark my opponent, I was able to hit the ball away from them before they could mark it (spoil the ball) and then it fell to the ground and made it a 50-50 contest to get it back.

It is far from ideal, but I stopped the opposition player marking three or four times by pressing these buttons and spoiling the ball, and then having one of my players swoop on it.

Also, another trick is to anticipate where the opposition player is going to kick the ball, and then, after it leaves their boot (since if you do when they have the ball, the game awards a 50 metre penalty against you), you can then attempt to mark, or at least hit it away. Try it. It won't work every time, but might stop you conceding one or two goals, and cause a couple of turnovers your way.
A tip for marking
Double tap triangle

It's basically a double shot at the timing and as for jostling just push right stick towards your opponent and double tap triangle

In regard to the "which is the better base or foundation game Live 1 or Evolution" discussion:
AFL Live still is in my opinion but it's "fairly" close.
And one dev nailed the base/foundation on their first attempt while it took the others about 5 or 6 attempts to build a passable base.

I deliberately ran over the mark when a player was taking a shot today because I knew he'd be more likely to miss from the goal square and sure enough he did.
Was discussing that with a workmate who also plays today. We concluded that if you give up a mark on 50 you're far better off giving away a 50m penalty so that they go to the square and inevitably miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back