AFL Evolution - Mods Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

New and improved with opinions taken into account.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 133
Hey all, these are my notes and thoughts on the AFL Evolution demo and the possibilities to mod it.
I'm writing this to help the modding community get a brief overview of the demo and it's resources.

Please take this information with a grain of salt, I'm not a programmer/artist, these are my best guess details :)
If you have anymore details not included in this post and you want to set me straight or contribute to this please do, I'd love to learn more
and it will only help the modding community.

The game files are located in x:/Steam/SteamApps/common/AFL Evolution Demo.

The AFLD_xx.dat files contain various data sets for the game.
I'm not sure of the format for these files but viewing them in a hex editor shows various player info and stats.
The AFLD_00.dat file appears to include a list of players and includes any you create in the player editor as well.
The rest of the AFLD_xx.dat files appear empty or may get populated with data during gameplay I'm guessing.
The pak.waz file stores the main game files such as textures, models, animation, shaders, databases etc.
Access the pak.waz file with something like 7zip, winzip or winrar.
Extract the pak.waz file and you'll end up with a main data directory and various sub directories under that.

The Audio directory holds sounds for the effects, music and ui.
All the files appear to be wave files (.wav), 2 channel, 44100 khz and various bitrates, I saw between 192 and 420kbps.
They should all be easily edited with your favourite audio software (Windows Sound Recorder, Audacity, Wavepad etc.)

The Database directory obviously holds lots of database files (.dat)
Viewing these .dat files in a hex or text editor show things such as textures names, locations of files, models, instructions, team info etc. etc.
I'm not sure exactly what order or format these files are in.
If you have the time and willpower browsing through these shows some interesting info.
The subfolders include .dat files for animation events and commentary files.
Unfortunately the main commentary sound files do not appear to be included in the demo.

The Particle directory contains particle effect animation/graphic files (.wtx) and a few (.dds) rain graphic/texture files.

The Player directory will be the main one that mods will come from as it includes animations, models, portraits and texure files.
The animation files (.wwa) are probably edited in 3dsmax is my best guess, I'm not sure of the format.
The model files (.wwm) are probaly edited in 3dsmax as well but once again I'm not sure of the format.
Viewed in a hex editor they appear to have texture information at the start of the files, model info. in the middle and animation info. at the end of them.
I haven't been able to successfully open or make sense of these files unfortunately.
The portrait folder has a few .dds files and an environment? file that I couldn't display.
The texture folder contains most of the good stuff ie. textures you can easily view and modify and show in the game.
I see a lot of great new jumper designs already floating around on the forum, I'd also like to see other new stuff like beards, gloves, hair, helmets, jumper number styles, shoes and tattoos.

The Prop directory appears to contain a bunch of model, texture and animation files.
Most of these appear to be for the stadium props, sideline details, flags, pom poms and the crowd.

The Shader directory contains the complied shader objects (.cso) files.
I believe these are Direct X shader files and may be vertex, pixel and geometry shaders which alter the way the graphics are displayed to make things look pretty :)

The Texture directory appears to contain various alpha channel .dds files.

The UI directory includes various files for displaying the main UI files like loading screens, the minimap and on screen game details.
Most of these files contain both a .wnm and a .wtx. Viewing the smaller size .wnm files in a hex editor show references to afl3_dev which leads me to believe is the
Wicked Witch online user database web server, as the Community Hub login page is at https://afl3.trublu.com.au/user/login.
The .wtx files could be grabbing graphic elements/textures from the server, as I cant see any inside the files, not sure.

Finally, the World directory has stadium, field and camera resources.
The textures folder has a lot of stadium and field .dds textures that should be easily edited to create different looking stadiums. Want to stick different advertsing on the field fences or
change the dirt and grass, go for it!
The sky_dome folder contains the weather type for the sky, you can change it for sunny, overcast, twilight etc.
The mcg folder has various .wwm (model and/or material files?) and .wwd files (I'm not sure what these are, dynamic lighting maybe?) as well as .dds textures for stadium seats, fences, beams, walls and windows etc.
The camera and replaycam folders consist of .wwc files, I assume these are camera files. These should provide cut scenes and various views from different cameras in the game area.

Well hopefully this has given some aspiring modders a bit of a kick start to help out with modding efforts for the game.
From looking at demo game files and resources I'm hopeful that if the gameplay is spot on, this should be quite a good AFL game.
We should be able to end up modding anything player and texture related that the built in player editor can't.
With the pc version having a delayed release, it should give people some more time to work on their modding efforts before we get our hands on the final release.

Thanks for this! are there any programs that I would need to edit some of these files (I can use photoshop for .dds and that) any suggestions?

Thanks for this! are there any programs that I would need to edit some of these files (I can use photoshop for .dds and that) any suggestions?
Sure, you can use photoshop or paint.net or gimp for the .dds textures. You could use Windows Sound Recorder, Audacity, Wavepad for the .wav sounds.
For a hex editor I'm using a trial version of hex workshop but there are heaps of free hex editors to use like HxD, UltraEdit, WinHex, you can use these to edit the .dat files as well as .w** files.

Sure, you can use photoshop or paint.net or gimp for the .dds textures. You could use Windows Sound Recorder, Audacity, Wavepad for the .wav sounds.
For a hex editor I'm using a trial version of hex workshop but there are heaps of free hex editors to use like HxD, UltraEdit, WinHex, you can use these to edit the .dat files as well as .w** files.
Thanks mate

Where did you find this? seems interesting
After a heap of research I finally came across a youtube link with a little tutorial of how to grab the game meshes

If you do go ahead and try this just make sure you select steam.exe as the program to open and tick the Hook into children processes option in Renderdoc otherwise it wont capture properly.

Last edited:
Tempted to replace the Indigenous jumpers with Heritage jumpers. If I was to upload my pak.waz file with the mods, and there were no Indigenous jumpers, just Heritage jumpers, would you guys be okay with that?
Personally, I reckon the more different jumpers the better.

is there a capped limit on how many jersey variations a team can have? maybe you could add both Heritage and Indigenous

is there a capped limit on how many jersey variations a team can have? maybe you could add both Heritage and Indigenous
I assume Fizzler is just replacing the textures, so they can't have more than the four that are already in the game.

So I'm wondering if they will release an update on Steam for the PC Fanhub demo once the full game releases on console, maybe some extra gameplay or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are peoples thoughts on the game so far? Here is my honest review

Attachments

• WW.PNG
    WW.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 78
Can anyone link me to a website or video that will teach me how to do this kind of stuff? I'm alright at modding but I'm this'll probably be to advanced for me.

Can anyone link me to a website or video that will teach me how to do this kind of stuff? I'm alright at modding but I'm this'll probably be to advanced for me.

Attachments

• READ ME.txt
    871 bytes · Views: 66

Remove this Banner Ad

Back