AFL Game Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also add New Zealand to that who were said to be the one's to actually get enough momentum for this title to get going, also potentially England too.

Just for reference, not like it's hugely meaningful being PSP titles. But AFL and NRL Challenge both released on the exact same day. Granted they were both released to limited states as well. I don't think there's a lot of worry that they'll clash with each other too massively.

And its being released in France as well. Those PSP titles were the crappest AFL and NRL games. Waste of $50. But i still think the AFL game will be released in September

SMAN-21: Lets see. EA Sports released Madden 10 on 13th Aug, NHL 10 on 15th Sept, Fifa 10 on 1st Oct and NBA Live 10 on 6th Oct. and 2k Sports released NHL 2k10 on 15th Sept and NBA 2k10 on 6th Oct. Although Big Ant dont have the same money, im sure they are capable of selling 2 games a month or so out from each other. NRL will sell well in NSW and QLD. AFL will sell well in VIC,WA,SA,TAS,NT.

Madden 10: Electronic Arts Tiburon "Employing several hundred" - http://www.tiburon.com/ourStudio.html

NHL 10: EA Canada "Employees 1,800+" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Canada

Fifa 10: EA Canada "Employees 1,800+" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Canada

NBA Live 10: EA Canada "Employees 1,800+" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Canada

NHL 2K10: Visual Concepts, cant find any proper number, but it seems to have about 160 - http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=21664&accountno=362

NBA 2k10: Visual Concepts, cant find any proper number, but it seems to have about 160 - http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=21664&accountno=362

Bigant: Apparently about 65.

Edit: Obviously Visual Concepts is part of Take Two Interactive who have 2002 people. I'm sure there is sharing of technology throughout the group. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

They've updated the bigant website:
Originally Posted by www.bigant.com
"Rugby League Live" announced
for Playstation 3 and Xbox360

Due for release on September 2nd 2010 Rugby League Live will feature 40+ licensed teams from competitions such as the NRL, Super League, State of Origin, City v Country, and World Cup.

AFL!
Now that we have released info on Rugby League Live, expect news on the upcoming Australian Football League game for the Xbox360, Playstation3, and PC here soon!

By who's definition? :)

They should have draftees that have names that are randomly generated. Not Matthew Sandilands or Chris Kirk.
As annoying as it was, the developers did this for a reason: they only had a certain number of pre-recorded names spoken by the commentators. Otherwise the commentary used numbers.

I dragged out the ol' PS2 in early 2009 and re-named the team to fit with the Geelong list at the time. I played with Shane Mumford in the ruck, but it got old pretty quickly to hear Dennis Commetti continually saying "Numbah... Forty... One wins the tap." :p

With the names they should identify which names can be passed on to future draftees. Coming up against Relton O'hAilpin or Majak Sidebottom just isn't realistic. But someone named Matthew Johnson would be realistic. So identify which names can be repeated and which ones cant.
Then do heaps of names at random.

Another thing I think should be in the game is Confidence. If you are down by 40 points or so in the last quarter, your confidence would drop and disposal effectiveness would drop and you would miss easy goal. You'd have a bar for this for each player.

Or the team is pumped trying to come back and their confidence goes up? Or does it only go down. How would the programmers model such a thing. How do you put stats around a players confidence. And what of your own frustration if something that was easy ten minutes ago now is really hard because the game has 'decided' you're player is nervous. Wouldn't that be more annoying than anything?

Great idea but I reckon if you put ten gamers in a room you would have eight different opinions of how it should work and what a given player's ability to handle pressure is. Would be a very tough nut to crack.

I just hope I am made to employ more in-depth tactics than 'win the hitout, sprint out of the center and kick straight to the forward who perfectly marks and goals.' That's basically what my time spent '05 degenerated into, even on the hard difficulty.

Didn't play '07 though. An improved player rotation system would be good too.

I just hope I am made to employ more in-depth tactics than 'win the hitout, sprint out of the center and kick straight to the forward who perfectly marks and goals.' That's basically what my time spent '05 degenerated into, even on the hard difficulty.
Definitely. There's gotta be more emphasis on get the ball and just kick it or handball it out. Only real rare situations where you can burst clear of clearances. Maybe fumbling of the ball and a lot more tackling too.

Also hitouts just have to be a lot weaker. If you timed it right (which wasn't hard about 95% of the time you could) you would hit the ball a good 20 metres. Really has to be just tapping it down to your feet with the rare hitout maybe going 10 metres, but that needs to be near impossible to do as well.

Definitely. There's gotta be more emphasis on get the ball and just kick it or handball it out. Only real rare situations where you can burst clear of clearances. Maybe fumbling of the ball and a lot more tackling too.

Also hitouts just have to be a lot weaker. If you timed it right (which wasn't hard about 95% of the time you could) you would hit the ball a good 20 metres. Really has to be just tapping it down to your feet with the rare hitout maybe going 10 metres, but that needs to be near impossible to do as well.

You could do a Leon Davis. Dick handballs to you and you have open goal in front of you and you spill the ball and they rebound. That would be great additions

That rugby game looks really good SOO and Country vs Country, makes the AFL game look promising

- The final series should be harder to win than the season games.

- Show the coach come out at 1/4 & 3/4 time and talk to the players (you can skip this part)

- Players run through the banner (not already lined up perfectly in the shape of the ground with the FF being the captain). They then run around the ground and start to warm up at one end.

- Commentators & Boundary Riders on camera.

- More realistic crowd. If it's North Freo at Etihad dont just cut the crowd in half at the top.

- Training schedules (inc. pre season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- The final series should be harder to win than the season games.

- Show the coach come out at 1/4 & 3/4 time and talk to the players (you can skip this part) ...

To be honest I would rather have none of these things and have them instead spent their time on making a better core game. For me the best result for AFL 2010 would be to have the best possible gameplay with minimum bells and whistles. IMO that would impress a lot of people and mean they were more likely to buy subquent installments (AFL 2011, etc). Also it would mean that when developing the next one (e.g. AFL 2011) they would have a really solid base to start from with the gameplay and could use a lot of development time to add the extra features lacking from the first game, thus giving people who bought AFL 2010 (and liked the gameplay) a reason to upgrade.

To be honest I would rather have none of these things and have them instead spent their time on making a better core game. For me the best result for AFL 2010 would be to have the best possible gameplay with minimum bells and whistles. IMO that would impress a lot of people and mean they were more likely to buy subquent installments (AFL 2011, etc). Also it would mean that when developing the next one (e.g. AFL 2011) they would have a really solid base to start from with the gameplay and could use a lot of development time to add the extra features lacking from the first game, thus giving people who bought AFL 2010 (and liked the gameplay) a reason to upgrade.

I think most of us agree with this.

Maybe as a marketing excercise, the AFL could have competitions at all footy clubs (suburban, country etc) that the average punter could enter to get their own name as the names of the draftees/future players in season/manager mode.

I don't know much about the logistics/costs/programming sides of this idea, but it would really generate interest in the game to the very specific target audience of it, Auskickers/Junior leagues, and their familys.

Something that is a must for this game is the ability to

a) create your own custom player
b) assign any skill rating to said player
c) place player into any team

My mates and I used to have great multiplayer sessions with NHL when we had a team that was made up of players we'd created named after ourselves. Wanted a similar thing with Fifa but any created player was instantly s**t and the only way to get them any better was to play through the 'be a pro' season with each of them.

I want to be able to take this game home, create all my friends, make them superstars and be able to have multiplayer games with them right away. - Yes it means that you can create an awesome team and win easily, but when you're having a few beers and a game it's so much fun.

Something that is a must for this game is the ability to

a) create your own custom player
b) assign any skill rating to said player
c) place player into any team

My mates and I used to have great multiplayer sessions with NHL when we had a team that was made up of players we'd created named after ourselves. Wanted a similar thing with Fifa but any created player was instantly s**t and the only way to get them any better was to play through the 'be a pro' season with each of them.

I want to be able to take this game home, create all my friends, make them superstars and be able to have multiplayer games with them right away. - Yes it means that you can create an awesome team and win easily, but when you're having a few beers and a game it's so much fun.

If it's anything like you want it to be it will be terrible.
I do not want an easy game, I want a hard game.
I am sure many people will agree with me. Giving your players 100 ratings in everything will just ruin the game.

^^ agree [2 posts above..]

This feature is needed to make it replayable (and to amend players who you think are over/under rated). Although I always believed the makers left it out on purpose so that you were inclined to buy the next game with all the updated rosters. At least Fifa fixed it this year though, they removed the cap on skill points for created players.

For the guy just above me: it's not mandatory to make all of your players rated 100, so uh, just don't do it??

I am sure many people will agree with me. Giving your players 100 ratings in everything will just ruin the game.
As long as you can't take the created players online with the 100 ratings and such I don't see the issue really. If a bunch of mates want to just have fun without creating players that need to be built up then I don't see the issue. Would be good if there's the option for a Be A Pro like build up to a created character as well as being able to fully customise ratings.

How does someone else making all of their players level 100 ruin your gaming experience? It won't change the way you play or who you play so I'm struggling to see the link.

I like being able to make myself some 6'7 behemoth who can run quicker then Usain Bolt. If you don't then you don't have to edit him in?

:confused:

I definitely believe that the core gameplay should be focused on more than anything else but it's about time an AFL game had a proper player creator/editor, stats and team editor built in.

Not only for the obvious reason of putting ourselves in the game but also in order to update the lists or change them if we feel they should be different. Could also inspire a modding community of sorts, with people working to create other leagues.

As I said in my last post, I think that a big focus should be on the tactics and the differences in play styles from team to team depending on who is coaching them. For instance, St. Kilda would play their extremely defensive shutdown style of play which is hard to score against whilst Geelong would be a hard side to score against with their great attacking, free flowing gameplan.

To prevent things getting stale, the coaches of teams could change over time if their team was doing badly and with that you would see a new type of game plan employed.

Um... you wouldn't be forced to do that... Rate them whatever you want.

Looks okay. Screenshots are always unforgiving compared to gameplay too - because during gameplay you're usually concentrating on the action!

Happy enough that I recognised many players in the shots too - not just three-faces-for-all-players like the previous PlayStation AFL games.

As we've all said - if the gameplay is the focus of their development, then I can live with the graphics at the moment.

But, the games are being released on the PS3/Xbox360, not an earlier Gen console.

Looks like a lazy development to me, dont have my hopes set too high.

:thumbsdown:

it's probably not laziness at all. this is likely a very small team working on a small budget. it's not easy when you're being compared with games coming from big teams on huge budgets. it's important to keep this in mind before rubbishing the game. we all wish this was different, and AFL had a big enough market to justify a big-budget game, but it's just not that case.

If the graphics are anything like the rugby ones then I think it will be decent looking.

I would be more worried about

1. The game play
2. Creator/Editor/Player names

Season Mode will never be fun if players are created from the same names as what there is now, like on previous versions.

If the WAFL, SANFL and VFL are included hopefully we have the proper players names from that, that you can draft from, I would be happy enough to have a choice in drafting out of AFL players who have been delisted and guys who have been playing in those lower levels.

To me I would be more interested in looking at where players who have been delisted end up, rather than they get delisted , not drafted and then you have a swarm of fake players come into the system which could end up well being Dane Pavlich, Adam Riewoltd etc which would be annoying.

For example, Richmond delist Polo, McMahon, Hislop, Nahas,, and at the draft if no AFL club picks up those players, rather than have them disappear from the game, they would then go down to the feeder level clubs and then are in that cycle for the next lot of draft picks the following season. I would be happy enough with say 16-18(depending on how many sides are included in the game) " new" players to enter the draft each year. Anymore than that and I think it is just pushing it, I for one would get sick of after the first 2 seasons of having so many new names which as I said could end up being annoying filling up the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back