AFL in Crisis: Stop this now before someone gets hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This current crisis that has hit the AFL is the worst I've seen in my lifetime. As I've been alive for over half a century, that's a fairly long time! I'm not your average, every day female with a passing interest in AFL. I am passionate about it. I watch several games every week. Subscribe to Foxtel purely for the Footy Channel. My husband never has a problem if he wants to watch or go to the footy. My son is a Div 1 footy player in the AFLBJ Under 12s.

I work within the drug design and development industry (molecular biosciences), so when the word peptide was mentioned I took notice. It has been quite cathartic to actually be the "google hero" I've been accused of. I've enjoyed reading the ACC report, the WADA code (which I knew very little about before this) and combing the ASADA website. As new information came to hand, I'd dig in and do some more research. The substances have been particularly interesting.

At first I was very sympathetic with Essendon. I am a self proclaimed James Hird fan and I am very disappointed that this has happened under his watch. The longer this goes, and the more information that comes to hand, the angrier I am getting. And not just because of the continued denials by Essendon fans (I get their blind support of their Club, I do - I had to do it myself during the Adelaide debacle recently), or their smugness (convinced they'll find a loophole somewhere, somehow, that will find them blameless in all this). I think now it's gone way beyond the Essendon issue.

Young athletes - men and women - are dying in their pursuit of success. Heart attacks, liver failure, some early onset cancers, blood clots, anuerysms. All caused by or contributed to taking substances they believe will give them ultimate success. In some cases these substances have had very little real research done on them. In some, the substances have not yet been approved for human use. Perhaps of more concern, are the substances that are being used for off-label purposes (drugs prescribed for one purpose, but used for another).

In this case, Essendon - through Dank - have come up with a complicated "intervention" program, aimed at making the team faster, bigger, stronger - in a short amount of time. I say complicated because he has listed substances that are so far beyond the realms of normalcy it beggars belief.

Are we THAT desperate in our desires to win a premiership, that we stoop to this level?

Taking one substance - let's talk the most obvious - the peptide AOD9604 - in isolation. This drug has not yet achieved approval for human use by any regulatory authority anywhere in the world. Regardless of it's performance enhancing or recovery properties (or not), whether it showed side effects in subjects or not, it has not yet achieved approval for human use. The trials that have been carried out on this drug, have been done looking for the results of weight loss - particularly the loss of adipose fat tissue in the abdomen. The substance was taken orally in tablet form. To assume that it is therefore safe for elite athletes to use, for a purpose other than originally intended, administered in a completely different way to the trials, is fool hardy at best. At worst, it is considered prohibited under the WADA code.

If you then combine that unknown quality with other substances that appear to be also being used for off-label purposes, the potential for unknown side effects rises significantly.

Has Dank conducted significant research on the use of or combination of these substances? Does he know the long term effects? You know he hasn't - and that's why the players were asked to sign documents that accepted there could be risks involved.

What will stop this push for finding the edge over our opponents? The death of a footballer? Will we be happy to say keep going until then?

That is why this has to stop now. ASADA and the AFL MUST come down on this hard now. The message that it is completely unacceptable must be loud and strong. Essendon (and any other club found guilty of doing this) must be punished severely. That is the only way we can ensure the safety of our players.

Totally agree. What the AFL must do is create a list of substances that players are allowed to take. Anything not on the list is banned. Full stop no excuses.

If a club wishes to use a substance the AFL must sign off on it as being 100% safe and put it on the list. This is the only way to stop this evil practice of using young men as lab rats in search of premiership glory.

100% agree. I also work in molecular bioscience and I'm horrified at what we are hearing. Beyond the legality problems, there are serious issues about player health involved here. They got them to sign waivers! This looks terrible for the administration, knowingly putting players at risk with banned substances.

Agree with you also Baldur about the "allowed substances" list.

This issue has been festering for about 15-20 years I believe and this current investigation is so far not about changing the culture of the sport. I will explain as best as I can.

A drug culture has long been established. Players are jabbed, pre game at training and at half time. Sports science departments have gone through the roof constantly looking for the next edge. Athletes in their competitive mindset I believe will take anything they believe is legal and gives them an improvement. It is why they risk permanent damage playing with injury and having pain killers. Every club now employs chemists similar to Dank (thou not as borderline with the law) to bulk up players and improve their performance. Players take supplements and leave nothing uninvestigated that might help. If the AFL were so concerned about this image why not investigate practices after the lions IVs to get a handle on what was happening rather than just ban what was embarrassing. Was it against the integrity of the game or just not a good look?

Now the Essendon saga is simply about whether they breached ASADA guidelines. They did or didn't. So far it took WADA 3 months to confirm something was banned so I don't hold confidence of full disclosure any time soon.

The major issue I have with Essendon is whether a doping culture became a team strategy. By that I mean were players instructed to present for treatment as part of a "team strategy" they didn't want or need. To my mind I don't give a &&@^ if it was a Vitamin injection no one should be coerced or pressured (i.e. you won't get a game, not a team player) into medical treatment they don't want. This leads to a very very murky world where players will feel if they don't dope they can't compete. If Hird or anyone bought this culture in they should go. There is however no evidence this has occurred. If it was left up to the players and Essendon are found to be innocent of any breaches than they will carry on.

Yet these questions are not being asked. I agree with the OP that the AFL can draw a direct line and say this is what we want our code to look like, this is our position on drug use and this is the medical system we want to apply for any draftees. These are our standards going forward and any reckless medical conduct that endangers players health will not be tolerated.

As for the role of individual athletes, I doubt you will stop all drug use, pain killers etc anything not on the banned list. Unless all pharmaceuticals are banned which won't happen. It is too far ingrained now. In fact should all drugs be banned at all? (Pain killers and legal drugs, supplements etc not the already WADA banned stuff) I'm not sure as you could argue it is medical treatment.

With Essendon's investigation there is no proof the whole team was doped. To spite the jockeying for position and media moves of different party the line has been that Hird requested all WADA approved drugs are to be injected and players health must be protected, Dank also hasn't changed his line that he never injected banned drugs. With everyone telling the same story, no positive tests and the 2012 samples not been flown overseas for testing it is hard to see things changing.

Where Essendon are potentially stuffed are with the 6-10 players who took AOD. If this is found to have breached the code those players will be suspended (not without a huge sh*& fight thou) and officials will likely lose their jobs. The AFL may then act in imposing extra penalties. Yet if they were to act very very harshly and not do an AFL wide audit you can bet people will scream blue murder and fingers will be pointed everywhere. At Melbourne and what punishment they will receive, other clubs supplements, those other clubs with Dank links, the players named in the ACC report and the 4 corners club inquiring about HGH.

I agree with the OP in that this is huge. But it doesn't stop at Essendon it goes AFL wide.

Crisis!!!

CRISIS!!!!

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=CZD&E=ASX&N=633003

AOD9604 is a small peptide compound modeled on the fat metabolizing region of human growth hormone (hGH). The make-up of AOD9604 represents only a small fragment of human growth hormone (hGH). It is not hGH and it is not a variant of hGH. It consists of less than 8% of the homology of hGH. There exists substantial scientific and medical evidence showing that AOD9604 has none of the safety concerns associated with hGH.

In the six (6) human clinical trials involving 925 patients conducted at Medeval, Manchester, UK and sixteen (16) major Australian hospitals and medical centres between 2001 and 2007, and in further substantial pre- clinical testing, it has been shown that AOD9604 is very safe.
This record has been further validated in June 2012 by AOD9604 receiving a pivotal GRAS status recognition to enter the U.S. market as a food additive, conditional only on publication of existing safety data in peer- reviewed journals. One paper in this regard is due for imminent publication.
This status is in accordance with Section 201(s) of the U.S. Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The GRAS status was verified by an independent panel of U.S. experts who are qualified to make such determinations.

Australian registered doctors can legally prescribe AOD9604 with prescriptions made up by a compounding pharmacy.
:rolleyes:

Well said jenny, what gets lost out of all of this is, regardless of team, is that we have players that feel the need to take substances that haven't been approved for human use.

This is not what we want in the game that we all love. It is after all, only entertainment.

Jenny
Well written, informed and persuasive.

The concerns you express have been recently validated by the death of a Cronulla player being linked with the use of these peptides - so it is a serious issue.

However, your scientific perspective is also tinged with a hint of moral outrage, and reading between the lines you appear to be suggesting that we are in need of a moralistic set of principles over and above a legal set of principles.

That's fine as an overarching philosophy, but ultimately, one way or the other, there needs to be a means of determining what is ok for players to put into their bodies and what is not, and I really don't accept that it can ever be that black and white.

There are stacks of things that could be described as performance enhancing which are not covered by WADA, and there are things prohibited by WADA which probably are NOT performance enhancing.

So to reduce it all to a moral set of principles is difficult, if not impossible.

We have to rely on science, and we have to reduce that to a strict legal code of what is and isn't ok, and if it's vague and ambiguous, I'm definitely not in favour of just prosecuting because someone thinks that's the right thing to do, or because it looks "bad".

Watching the coverage of the game yesterday was interesting. They played the last quarter of the anzac game from 95, the contrast in body shape, size and athleticism to now was stark. Back then player's actually got tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the coverage of the game yesterday was interesting. They played the last quarter of the anzac game from 95, the contrast in body shape, size and athleticism to now was stark. Back then player's actually got tired.

Yep. Back then, players trained to be fit enough to run out a game. Now they train to be fit enough to get through the training sessions.

Excellent OP.

Everyone involved in using PEDS should read about IFBB bodybuilder Luke Wood.

Luke was an Australian who lost his life a few years back after competing at a high level.

A sobering and sad story really, but there's plenty more like him.

Completely screwed up his dosage of PEDs and paid the ultimate price.

More here: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/14588-luke-wood-t3-accident.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back