AFL Live 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What a bummer. We're hard done by, us AFL video game fans (apart from AFL Live, and even that had issues).

Seems like mixed reviews on here. Going to pick it up in the next couple of days, can't hurt.

Looks awful. I'd be tempted if I still lived in Australia but I'm not shipping that, especially with NHL 14 and GTA V out soon.

Might give AFL 1 a play tonight though. That with an updated roster would be ace.

You can tell this game was made by a company with no idea about football.

My mini review:
~ Still no player stats. Very odd how they don't even tell you who has the highest possessions
~ No pregame intro, nothing at half time and no post match

That's all I can think of for now. It looks like they focused on the gameplay so much and forgot about some very basic elements that wouldn't have been too hard to add too the game. Either way I bought it from EB Games so I can always get a full refund if I want to.
Odd, the chap on the FB page answered a question about stats and said you had access to a full wrapup of every player's stats post-game.

The no intro/outro thing, that's odd. That's surely a pretty basic requirement presentation wise for a sports game. Even NES AFL had a post-game bit.

ZBfqu1x.gif

So there's no stats wrap or anything post game?

Odd, the chap on the FB page answered a question about stats and said you had access to a full wrapup of every player's stats post-game.

The no intro/outro thing, that's odd. That's surely a pretty basic requirement presentation wise for a sports game. Even NES AFL had a post-game bit.

ZBfqu1x.gif

So there's no stats wrap or anything post game?

Maybe I hit X took quickly which took me back to the main menu. All I saw was a small score summary and that's it.

I'll have to have another look.

I'm really enjoying it personally. It handballs where I want it to, it kicks where I want it to, it marks when I want it to, the smothering/tackling is great and the ball actually bounces more like a football. The only negative for me so far is that free players are created too easily.

Presumably no-one has had a go with local multiplayer. That's where AFL Live 1 really shone; maybe this will follow suit.

As with the previous game, once everyone calms down, a thread with a comprehensive list of fixes is probably a good idea. That DLC might be the light at the end of the tunnel so we need to ensure it's clear what does and does not work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Presumably no-one has had a go with local multiplayer. That's where AFL Live 1 really shone; maybe this will follow suit.

As with the previous game, once everyone calms down, a thread with a comprehensive list of fixes is probably a good idea. That DLC might be the light at the end of the tunnel so we need to ensure it's clear what does and does not work.

In 6 months?

This comment from Whirlpool is instructive:

Whirlpool Guy said:
Okay... first game I played I thought it was shite. Manly because they have stuffed around with the controls. Second game I was getting used to it. And the third game I am starting to enjoy it.

It feels like a bit more of a polished AFL game than the last. It is more free flowing than the before. You won't get 300 tackles per game.

This is encouraging and partially answers my question about learning curve. Once you adapt and get a feel for the tactics and nuance, it might reveal itself to be more competent than first impressions suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back