AFL Moratorium

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should the AFL announce a moratorium on drug use and match fixing?

Brisbane Lions being accused, everyone knows Demons are not the only team that may have tanked, most of the footy world knows anabolic steroid use was rife at a couple of clubs in the 80s, individual match results being called into question etc etc.

Should the AFL draw a line in the sand and announce that it is not going to chase down all these allegations retrospectively (probably an impossible task anyway) but that it is going to be rigorous about these issues going forward.

My view is that as allegations are made, more come out as people accused try to show that they were only doing what everyone was doing. No way the AFL can get on top of everything and meantime it is just a huge distraction from what we all want to talk about - footy.

No. I highly, highly doubt it's as widespread as some people seem to want it to be. Any idiot will be making allegations now to get their name out there. And if any team DID partake in PED use and matchfixing then they shouldn't escape penalty.

No. I highly, highly doubt it's as widespread as some people seem to want it to be. Any idiot will be making allegations now to get their name out there. And if any team DID partake in PED use and matchfixing then they shouldn't escape penalty.

Yes any idiot can make an allegation. Problem is you have to chase them down. And how far back to you go? Lions 2002 now being called into question. Do we go back to the 90s or even the 80s. The problem I see with both these issues - drugs and match fixing - is that we are applying todays rules to yesterday.

Yes any idiot can make an allegation. Problem is you have to chase them down. And how far back to you go? Lions 2002 now being called into question. Do we go back to the 90s or even the 80s. The problem I see with both these issues - drugs and match fixing - is that we are applying todays rules to yesterday.
Being called into question by some idiot on FB whose name the media can't even get right. Forgive me for not thinking it's the end of the world.

Should the AFL draw a line in the sand and announce that it is not going to chase down all these allegations retrospectively (probably an impossible task anyway) but that it is going to be rigorous about these issues going forward.
Problem is that they have already retrospectivly investigated other controvertial issues ie tanking and undeclared 3rd party player deals. It can't now turn around and say were not going to investigate past drug issues. That would be inconsistant and unfair on other clubs who have copped penalties to do so.

...but then again it wouldn't be beyond the AFL to be inconsistant and unfair would it? ;)

They can't do it on both, the drug issue involve PEDs is not udner control of the AFL so they can't offer immunity or lesser suspensions because it is ASADA who hand down the suspension.

Match fixing is another issue, but I seriously doubt the AFL would want to admit that it has happened, look at the whole Melbourne situation it came about because the AFL incentive for failure was so great if you knew you weren't going to do much better.

They can't do it on both, the drug issue involve PEDs is not udner control of the AFL so they can't offer immunity or lesser suspensions because it is ASADA who hand down the suspension.

Match fixing is another issue, but I seriously doubt the AFL would want to admit that it has happened, look at the whole Melbourne situation it came about because the AFL incentive for failure was so great if you knew you weren't going to do much better.

For match fixing (as opposed to tanking) I doubt they would have a choice - if there are criminal elements involved the police will probably be the ones to make that call.

For match fixing (as opposed to tanking) I doubt they would have a choice - if there are criminal elements involved the police will probably be the ones to make that call.

Well I would argue it is the same thing. Different motivations maybe, but the same thing.

I don't think ASADA will look back further than what is currently on the table. But we now have allegations around Brisbane (credible or otherwise), 2 days ago I heard a respected journalist on radio talk about the anabolic steroid use at two multiple premiership teams of the 80s. No doubt the 90s will come into question. To me it will be the AFL that decides whether these allegations need to be chased down or not. And the problem I see looming is that now it is being so widely discussed in the public domain, more and more allegations are going to surface.

I don't think ASADA will look back further than what is currently on the table. But we now have allegations around Brisbane (credible or otherwise), 2 days ago I heard a respected journalist on radio talk about the anabolic steroid use at two multiple premiership teams of the 80s. No doubt the 90s will come into question. To me it will be the AFL that decides whether these allegations need to be chased down or not. And the problem I see looming is that now it is being so widely discussed in the public domain, more and more allegations are going to surface.
What needs to be remembered is that any action that is taken must be taken on what the rules were at the time for the AFL/VFL not what the rules are now. This being the case it means that nothing can really happen. The story of past teams using PEDs will blow over and nothing will happen as it is incredibly messy working out what was legal what was illegal, etc.

I know for a fact that PEDs were common in the 80s and 90s in the AFL with a larger percentage of players using them than what people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the spirit of this thread, I call on the authorities to appeal for the following to come forward:

- D.B.Cooper
- the Babushka Lady
- Jack The Ripper
- the Loch Ness Monster

and any other person responsible for anything sinister who has previously gone undetected.

Carlton (81,82,87)
Hawthorn (83,86,88,89)
Essendon (84,85)

So who's the lucky odd one out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back