Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the stream, did it pause or stop at any point? I tried it last pre-season and it wasn't the best.
I only tried it for a few minutes, a little choppy from my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet - watchable, and didn't pause or stop, more the occasional dropped frame. I'm going to try watching at least some of tonight's game streamed from my Galaxy S4 phone to see how that goes, and I might give the Android emulator a go too - I'll report back tomorrow with some learnings.

It's not a concern - yet - but if he doesn't play in the next game it will be. He's meant to be fit.

You also have to consider the role he is going to play. If an outside mid for e.g., and you have NC5, Blease, Gore, Lang, Gregson all slated to play, there are only so many chairs.

If by NAB 3 anyone's a no show ( not known about why) then yes, concern is required.

GO Catters

Yeah good point. Never heard anything more, did we?

Other than Hocking I think it was saying it would be dealt with internally.

Perhaps him getting some bench time is part of that.

Crime done, time being done.

Message delivered.

GO Catters

Have you got a link to that Daz? Last thing I could find was this: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ash-call-on-brad-hartman-20150109-12kxg5.html

We are on the same path. Im pretty sure CS was interviewed where he said much what the article referred to and them later Hocking alluded to the fact that they would deal with in internally and cooperate with any investigations / processes.

Of course, it could be im completely wrong and talking total shit.

Wont be the first time… or probably the last...

GO Catters

stronger list then I would have expected, although with the amount of guys injured they didn't have alot of choice in who to rest. Both type B rookies playing, Hartman & Read the only really young blokes not playing.

We're all like Pavlov's dog. Slobbering all over the floor at team announcement in anticipation of our first meal in 6 months.

especially for a pissy practice match :p
These trial matches are always shit, sloppy examples of our great game and up there in the sweltering heat of Queensland will be no different. Of course, if we lose, or certain players don't do as well as we had hoped, their shall be plenty of questions asked immediately afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched just about every game last season via the afl app and appletv and it was fantastic. I do have fiber optic super fast internet though, which obviously helps.
Thanks for answering one of the queries I had....about casting to Apple TV. Strange they haven't got a specific AFL App for Apple TV though.

Thanks for answering one of the queries I had....about casting to Apple TV. Strange they haven't got a specific AFL App for Apple TV though.

No worries TT. Yeah that would certainly make it easier if they had an app directly through Apple TV, hopefully one day. I just hope this year's version is not screen size limited as I read on the info section of the app. Would be about right that they ruin what was a fantastic experience for me watching footy to force us into buying Foxtel. I'm hoping it's the same as last year, fingers crossed. Will know in a few hours.

After a long off season it's safe to say I'm pretty keen for this one.
All of the new guys are the ones I'm interested in.
Lang, Hartman, Jansen, Kolodjashnij and this years draftees.
Seems Cunico is the only one that wouldn't be a chance to play going on the various puff pieces and rumblings out of the club.
Keen to see how Kersten looks and where he plays.
And obviously M Clark.
A Hawkins/Clark/Kersten forward line eventuating at some point would be nice.
With you on the new guys, debuts & draftees, although I would add Bews & Thurlow (asap) as well.

The puff pieces may not b as blowing in the wind as some think. In the recent community camp pics Jordan C looked uncomfortable to me, he's young, may b immature and take some time, definitely in the right club to get the edge he needs.

Just a query, you don't regard Mitch Clark as a new guy..?

Thinking something along the lines of this:

B: Billie Smedts, Tom Lonergan, Jake Kolodjashnij
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, Andrew Mackie
C: Mitch Duncan, Josh Caddy, Steven Motlop
HF: Shane Kersten, Mitch Clark, Jordan Murdoch
F: Jimmy Bartel, Tom Hawkins, Darcy Lang
R: Dawson Simpson, Cam Guthrie, Mathew Stokes
I: Nakia Cockatoo, James Kelly, Sam Blease, Jarrad Jansen, Jed Bews, Mark Blicavs
Subs: Dean Gore, Padraig Lucey
Emer: Cory Gregson, Jordan Cunico, Michael Luxford

One or both of Clark & Kersten to be subbed out perhaps.

How's old Corey Enright? Fronting up for his 16th pre-season. What a gem.

Last edited:
With you on the new guys, debuts & draftees, although I would add Bews & Thurlow (asap) as well.

The puff pieces may not b as blowing in the wind as some think. In the recent community camp pics Jordan C looked uncomfortable to me, he's young, may b immature and take some time, definitely in the right club to get the edge he needs.

Just a query, you don't regard Mitch Clark as a new guy..?
Fringe players is probably the term I should've used.
If he's fit, you'd think Clark will be a near certainty to play Rd 1.
I'm more interested in who's gonna grab those last 2 to 3 spots.

Happy to see Cunico (& all 4 of this years draftees) get named in the squad.

I watched just about every game last season via the afl app and appletv and it was fantastic. I do have fiber optic super fast internet though, which obviously helps.

I watch it on my galaxy note, via Wi-Fi. Frozen frames here and there, but works well.

Never tried it on tv though, I have Android tv. So would be interesting to see if I can load it on the tv then watch it via Wi-Fi.

This thread is seven pages already! :eek:
First pregame thread of the year Woohoo:cool:

image.jpg

Who are you excited to see pull on the hoops in this game?

Cockatoo, Jansen, Clark, Stanley, Bews would be fascinating to see.

OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Vardy, Menzel and Cowan!
:hearts:

Blease gets the ball at our defensive 50, goes for a Wojcinski-like dash down the wing beating everyone, handpasses to Cockatoo who takes another couple of bounces, then kicks it long inside 50 & what an amazing grab from Vardy! He plays on, handpasses over the top to Menzel who kicks a goal what a play!

#NewRecruits :D

:rainbow:
I'm guessing Jansen laid a bone crushing shepherd somewhere along the line there ;)

:rainbow:

I'd love to see Cockatoo in full flight.
Me too SC! I'm beside myself with excitement + hope that he plays!

A bit more Hartman and Lang too!
Definitely!!!

Same as normal for me:

1. A mostly fit and healthy list.
2. Signs of improvement in the youngsters.
3. Signs that the established players are all fit for the season.
Yes! Let's hope! *crosses fingers, legs, toes + whiskers*
4. Breakout year for Caddy, Guthrie, Blitz et al - which may be covered by your Point 3, Partridge.
FOOTY'S BACK!!! :cool:

Looking forward to seeing the new recruits of course, JJ and Clark.

We should also see some new work around stoppages that they'll be testing before the season proper so keep an eye out for it.
Yes, the new Boyz definitely! Can't wait to see how Clark + Tomahawk work together!

Am I allowed to say I wish GAJ was playing? *ducks for cover*

Of those, Cowan, GHS, Walker, Hartman and Toohey are ones I’m not sure of the reason for their absence.
Is there a reason for Bates missing? At any rate, hope Cowan and Hartman are missing purely as a rotational thing.

What I hope for this game (In terms of younger guys & draftees):

DEFENCE:
Kolodjashnij to play most, if not all, of the game while Rivers is rested.
Blicavs to play all game as 2nd Key Defender while Lonergan maybe rested.
Bews to play most of the game just shutting down the Suns main small forward while Kelly is moved into midfield some more.
Smedts to play a more attacking small defender role, really hoping this pre-season hard work pays off for him into the season too!

MIDFIELD:
Guthrie to not be tagging at all & simply hunting the ball as he could break out this year if he does that.
Jansen to play most of the game, hopefully improved fitness more this pre-season, in the centre-bounce next to Caddy/Guthrie/Duncan/etc.
Gore to play 3 quarters if not all game (fitness very good) & hopefully show some good signs in centre square with his tackling & speed & ball use.
Cowan to play maybe 3 quarters on the Wing as a more outside midfielder hopefully getting through game fine.

RUCKS:
Lucey to get a touch...
Simpson to not get injured & hopefully work in tandem well with our mids.

FORWARDS:
Clark to just get through a half without injuring himself. Any goals he gets is just a bonus for this game.
Kersten to, if he plays, really show some good signs as that F3/F4 spot.
Hawkins to kick 20.
Gregson, Blease or Cockatoo to show some good signs as a forward pocket kind of role. (Perhaps Gregson more as Blease & Cockatoo can do more running stuff down the wing).
Lang to play a half forward pocket the other half centre.
Great post Daniel.
Could we add Hartman, please? He played well last year + is another kitten I'd like to get games into.
Blitz may be needed to ruck, if Simpson or Lucey run out of steam. Concerned about the heat sure, but humidity is far more taxing. If Clark is fit + rearing to go, perhaps a rotation through the ruck for a bit ??? It may be too much to expect in his first game.
Must say I like the sound of Gore + as he's a ranga, any chance he could be Lingy's successor?
"A smart footballer who reads the play well and is happy getting his hands dirty to win his own ball." -
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/player-profile/dean-gore
What about Stanley? It'd be good to see him playing for our first outing of the year, to see what he has + to get experience in the team.

Looks like it doesn't mirror to apple tv any more, watching the live video on afl.tv atm and there is no mirror option anymore - typical AFL - watch a bunch of assholes. Corporate greed - don't you just love it.

For those who like the team in the thread -

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-26/nab-challenge-squad-announced
"Cats squad

2. Billie Smedts

3. Jimmy Bartel

4. Andrew Mackie

5. Nakia Cockatoo

7. Harry Taylor

8. Jake Kolodjashnij

9. James Kelly

11. Darcy Lang

12. Sam Blease

13. Tom Lonergan

15. Dean Gore

16. Dawson Simpson

19. Mitch Clark

21. Jordan Murdoch

22. Mitch Duncan

23. Josh Caddy

24. Jed Bews

26. Tom Hawkins

27. Mathew Stokes

28. Cory Gregson

29. Cam Guthrie

31. Jordan Cunico

32. Steven Motlop

35. Jarrad Jansen

37. Michael Luxford

39. Shane Kersten

42. Padraig Lucey

44. Corey Enright

46. Mark Blicavs"
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-26/nab-challenge-squad-announced

Very disappointed no Hartman, nor Stanley.

Thrilled for Luxford + Kolo + for brand new kittens Cockatoo, Gore, Cunico, Gregson + Lucey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back