Toast Round 1 NAB Rising Star 🌟 Ollie Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we better make a official thread... Congratulations to Ollie Dempsey for this rounds NAB Rising Star 🌟.
Always great to see a Cat get nominated

For you historians I rely on from BF….I know the last person to get nominated was his tall twin…(round 11 2022) but when was the last time the Cats had a FIRST round (lets ignore opening round as 10 teams didnt play including Cats) nomination?

From the Australian: Dan Batten

Many Rising Star nominees are highly touted juniors and high draft picks that were on the radar for years.
Geelong forward Oliver Dempsey’s path to his barnstorming display against St Kilda, which earnt him the Rising Star nomination and put himself on the map as an AFL footballer, pales in comparison.
In 2021, the budding young junior basketballer decided to return to footy with Carey Grammar in the Associated Public Schools (APS) competition and for Old Carey’s under-19 side – his first season in three years.
That was purely to have run around with mates in his final year of school.
But that soon changed as several AFL clubs soon took notice of the exciting and athletic forward.
Oliver Dempsey is the round one Rising Star. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images Oliver Dempsey is the round one Rising Star. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“It was definitely weird the first call I got from my manager now Winston Rous. After playing three games at APS I was like ‘this is weird’,” Dempsey said.
“I was just playing for fun and I didn’t remotely think about AFL footy and then after that it sort of became a bit more serious and I spoke to Geelong, Melbourne was another club and a bit to Port Adelaide, but that was about it.”
“It was mainly Geelong and after the first two (draft) nights there was the rookie on the Friday and I definitely didn’t think I was going to get picked up and then happened to get the call was ‘Wellsy’ (Stephen Wells).”
Since then the draft smokey’s ascent has been as steep as his leap.
It took him just eight rounds in 2022 to make his AFL debut against North Melbourne down in Hobart, where he and his friends certainly caught the eye.
His mates brandishing ‘D-E-M-P-S-E-Y’ on their bare stomachs cheered on every one of his 16 disposals and celebrated his debut goal with gusto.

Dempsey managed another five games in 2023, four of those as the substitute, but it was a breakout VFL season – where he was named in the VFL team of the year – and his impressive final round game against the Western Bulldogs that gave him extra belief.
“It felt like last year I really found my straps and being able to play consistently good footy at VFL level and just waiting for that opportunity,” Dempsey said.
“Obviously played the last round of the year when we couldn’t make finals and played some of the young boys and I felt really confident out there and that put me in a good spot to have a good off-season and a good pre-season and to be able to have that good, strong dozen games at VFL level was very good for my confidence.
“I think I did a lot of work with (development coach) Nigel Lappin last year with my contest work and getting confidence with it. Put on a bit of size as well and I think that clicked and went in with a bit of a different mindset saying, ‘I want to play, I want to be above VFL level and play like I should be in the AFL’, and that’s what I aimed to do last year and it felt like towards the end of the year I achieved that and I could be a guy in that team.”
Dempsey flies for a mark against the Bulldogs last year. Picture: Michael Klein Dempsey flies for a mark against the Bulldogs last year. Picture: Michael Klein
The 21-year-old took that frame of mind into the 2024 season and his upward tend continued, with a strong pre-season capped by two imposing practice games.
“I think going into the practice games I had a few good sessions and felt like I did belong and definitely those two practice games were when it started to feel real for me and feeling like ‘this is where I belong and I can do this at this level’,” Dempsey said.
Dempsey didn’t just belong against the Saints: he had arrived.
The livewire was arguably the best player on the ground to half time and had more telling moments in the second half, finishing with 15 disposals, three goals, three score assists and two contested marks.
His favourite personal highlight wasn’t the running goal with a baulk nor the flying pack mark. Instead, it was being the first player to kick a goal at the newly opened Joel Selwood Stand end.
“It’s history, lucky enough to be the first one to kick a goal at that end with the new stand and the five stages done so that was pretty cool after the game hearing that,” Dempsey said.
“It was really special, so much fun out there, especially playing the first game with the Joel Selwood Stand which was so sick and felt really confident out there. I’ve been working really hard in the pre-season and the off-season and I feel like I belong in the team so it felt really good to showcase that.”
Oliver Dempsey’s pre-season hanger against the Blues. Picture: Michael Klein Oliver Dempsey’s pre-season hanger against the Blues. Picture: Michael Klein
Picture: Michael Klein Picture: Michae Klein
After receiving Rising Star recognition, his next nomination might just be for mark of the week – already giving fans a glimpse of his hops during the pre-season with a hanger against Carlton.
“It is something that I came in with, one of my strengths I think. Hopefully I can muster up one in the real season but we’ll see,” Dempey said with a laugh.
“(The Rising Star nomination) is definitely pretty special, obviously going through two years of being in and out sort of thing and being able to get it in round one is pretty special to me and it is an honour to do it at such a great club as well.”

DAN BATTEN

For you historians I rely on from BF….I know the last person to get nominated was his tall twin…(round 11 2022) but when was the last time the Cats had a FIRST round (lets ignore opening round as 10 teams didnt play including Cats) nomination?

I believe Nina Morrison is our only other first round rising star nominee

We've had a few nominees from Round 2:
  • David Spriggs, 2000
  • Shannon Bynes, 2005
  • Charlie Constable, 2019

And Round 3 nominees:
  • Tom Hawkins, 2007 (Joel wasn't nominated until round 5)
  • Mitch Duncan, 2011
  • Brandan Parfitt, 2017

I believe Nina Morrison is our only other first round rising star nominee

We've had a few nominees from Round 2:
  • David Spriggs, 2000
  • Shannon Bynes, 2005
  • Charlie Constable, 2019

And Round 3 nominees:
  • Tom Hawkins, 2007 (Joel wasn't nominated until round 5)
  • Mitch Duncan, 2011
  • Brandan Parfitt, 2017
I knew you would know….Don’t know how you brain has any room for anything other than football knowledge though!

Huge leap.
Legit vice like grip.
Amazing agility.
Massive tank.

The goal where he got the handball off MOC and just glided around the player in front of him, straightened up and goaled was underrated.

Still a baby in terms of footy development.

Not sure if he will end up a mid, but for a while I have said he could be a dynamic goal kicking mid.

At the very least he will be a very good half forward that links up really well.

Definitely a Wells special

I knew you would know….Don’t know how you brain has any room for anything other than football knowledge though!

My fav go to for stats is Footywire and tonight I learnt they keep a record of rising star nominations each year

There is more to see here.

As an Ollie watcher it was interesting to see him being on the end of a few kicks for a change.

Watch replays of his early games and generally he had to scrounge possessions.

All.low rated young forwards in their first few AFL games just fill space. Even in good position they are not included in, or on the end of, moves.

The delivery goes to known talent.

Ollie , now, should see more of the ball and his all round skills will be a very big plus for Geelong.

Needs to avoid injury. If he does he will give those celebrated high draft picks a run for their money. However, to overcome the " high draft syndrome" the so called pundits suffer from, he has to be much better than any top ten pick.

Gotta love it when you see Jack Henry, Blitz, Zuthrie, Close, Stengle Atkins, Miers (almost a rookie), O'Connor strutting their stuff. 8 first team locks plus Dempsey.

Was miffed when Ollie Wiltshire did not play at Deakin on the weekend.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is more to see here.

As an Ollie watcher it was interesting to see him being on the end of a few kicks for a change.

Watch replays of his early games and generally he had to scrounge possessions.

All.low rated young forwards in their first few AFL games just fill space. Even in good position they are not included in, or on the end of, moves.

The delivery goes to known talent.

Ollie , now, should see more of the ball and his all round skills will be a very big plus for Geelong.

Needs to avoid injury. If he does he will give those celebrated high draft picks a run for their money. However, to overcome the " high draft syndrome" the so called pundits suffer from, he has to be much better than any top ten pick.

Gotta love it when you see Jack Henry, Blitz, Zuthrie, Close, Stengle Atkins, Miers (almost a rookie), O'Connor strutting their stuff. 8 first team locks plus Dempsey.

Was miffed when Ollie Wiltshire did not play at Deakin on the weekend.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really glad we've taken the time to put conditioning into the body with him. A long term investment

Huge leap.
Legit vice like grip.
Amazing agility.
Massive tank.

The goal where he got the handball off MOC and just glided around the player in front of him, straightened up and goaled was underrated.

Still a baby in terms of footy development.

Not sure if he will end up a mid, but for a while I have said he could be a dynamic goal kicking mid.

At the very least he will be a very good half forward that links up really well.

Definitely a Wells special
Agree with ALL said D Bridge, have just loved this kid from the get go and I was over the moon when we rookie listed him as you could see he had so much 'natural talent and raw ability' like very few, the world's his oyster.

"The goal where he got the handball off MOC and just glided around the player in front of him, straightened up and goaled was underrated." ✅✅✅

Ollie can side-step on a dime without almost losing stride which coincides with his 'great athletic balance' which is a sure sign of a special athlete but then to re-balance once he side-stepped his opponent, steady and kick the goal with almost 'nonchalant ease', that's when you know you've got the makings of a very special player. Even when Ollie is going for specky's with his prodigious leap he retains his 'naturally gifted athletic balance'.

Ollie Dempsey 'with much excitement' has taken over as my favourite young player over SDK and Max Holmes which has happened a little earlier than I expected him too, then we have other top promising younger players in Tanner Bruhn whom I love along with Ollie Henry, Jhye Clark and a younger Connor O'Sullivan who is going to be a star with still much to look forward to with the talls in Toby Conway and Shannon Neale and then promising smokies such as Lawson Humphies, Oisin Mullin, etc PLUS we also then have a slightly older and newly recruited Shaun Mannagh whom is highly skilled with high IQ footy brain..... no wonder I love this club so much with Wellsy and co regenerating our side on the fly, while still remaining highly competitive and with very little assistance from not receiving on-going high draft pics, just a sensational effort by all concerned at the club. GO CATS

Below is a pic of the 'naturally gifted athletic balance' of Ollie Dempsey when flying for and taking a specky vs the Blues in recent practice game!

Attachments

• Ollie Dempsey (MOW vs carlton).jpg
    Ollie Dempsey (MOW vs carlton).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
While his second (sidestep) and third (come-from-behind mark) were both fantastic examples of what he can do, the top 2 highlights for mine were his goal assists.

That kick to Close from outside 50 was @#$@#ing elite - literally centimetre perfect. Then the cross-field kick to Tuohy was weighted so even if Wood had made contact, Tuohy was probably going to mark or get a free kick anyway.

Kicking goals is great, but bringing your team mates into the game is an under-rated ability - and looks like Ollie has both.

At the same age, is he showing more than Ablett Senior? Haha. Quite possibly ! Now let's not put too much pressure on the kid. haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back