List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Krueger won't make it. Similar to a young Paddy McCartin in which he puts himself in harms way and will continue to get hurt
Moore went through a period where he seemed to do a hammy or a joint every match he played, there are some blokes who grow into their frames suddenly and the injuries settle down. Hoping Krueger is that, but you may be right.

Henry seems well knit, he's not that skinny and doesn't seem prone to being crunched or limping off.

I like watching the ex Pies, I give Treloar and Stephenson and Grundy and all those a cheer when we play. It took the sting out of 2011 somewhat that Pods got his medal: I was sickened when he went down but I bet he felt no pain on the dais. Henry was a good sport about the booing and he gave the crowd a little wave with his first goal, good stuff.

Moore went through a period where he seemed to do a hammy or a joint every match he played, there are some blokes who grow into their frames suddenly and the injuries settle down. Hoping Krueger is that, but you may be right.

Henry seems well knit, he's not that skinny and doesn't seem prone to being crunched or limping off.

I like watching the ex Pies, I give Treloar and Stephenson and Grundy and all those a cheer when we play. It took the sting out of 2011 somewhat that Pods got his medal: I was sickened when he went down but I bet he felt no pain on the dais. Henry was a good sport about the booing and he gave the crowd a little wave with his first goal, good stuff.
Moore was a special case, they solved his problem with soft tissue injuries by moving him to defence, where his straight-ahead pace meant he didn't have to twist and turn as much.
It would be ironic if this is the solution to Krueger's issues, given that he moved to Ciollingwood to play forward, rather than the defence where Geelong was slotting him.

Not trying be a d**k here, but let's be real, if Krueger didn't play for Collingwood you'd have no hope of him making it and wouldn't even know who he is.

Essentially a 2017 draftee, with 9 games to his name. Big guys do take time, but that's a looooong time to not be showing much of anything.

For reference, it's the same draft as Naughton, LDU, Cerra, Brayshaw etc who feel like they're closing in on veteran status....it's been a while now, and 9 games just doesn't suggest he'll be anything of substance at AFL level.

We don't do it anymore, but for a long time there we were the experts at holding onto injured spuds for too long. Cowan, Smedts, Gregson etc.

In fact hes so keen to impress he keeps injuring himself.

Definitely a KPP prospect if we can get his body right. Was stuck behind Cameron and Hawkins for you I guess, less obstacles to a senior spot at the Pies so actually a bit of a parallel to Henry.
I don't think it is a keen to impress thing, he has a very fearless attack and just isn't physically built for how he plays... he was constantly injured while with us as well.

But I also think he rates himself much much higher than his actual ability and that will be his biggest issue. I am not saying he is a spud, just that he isn't as good as he thinks he is

We don't do it anymore, but for a long time there we were the experts at holding onto injured spuds for too long. Cowan, Smedts, Gregson etc.
WAAAAY to long and let's not forget Murdoch, the most ordinary footballer I've ever seen to play 100 games. The sooner we identify players that are going to be AFL capable or NOT the better!

I think Gregson in particular had a VERY promising start. Very nimble. Athletic. He got injured and just seemed to lose all confidence in himself

All the carry on and booing of Ollie.... would he even be getting a game for Whingewood?
Get a game? I’m glad they wouldn’t have because that’s why we have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute jet, and barely scraped the surface of his potential yet.

Has the talent and ability to even bob up in the midfield eventually if the coaches see him there. Very similar first 40 games to Rozee/Fyfe who started as third talls too.

Or he might just keep doing what he's doing, and end up with 500+ goals to his name when it's all said and done.

Either way, so happy we've got him. He'll be winning games off his own boot before too long.

Congrats Ollie!!

Excellent first year. Will need to learn some tricks on the ground as I could see other teams playing tall defenders on him as his marking is so good.

You have to tread very carefully on this forum discussing young players futures - which is absolute 1000% nonsense

And they have this stupid phiosophy that if you question anything to the the negative that then you barrack against that player to be proved right - fair dinkum

But i disagree with your assessment - re his marking is so good - re his o/head marking he dropped so many of them - he could even have 2-3 bites at it - but he just couldnt quite hang onto them - and sometimes they were at a vital stage - and by not holding them he put Geel under pressure - Gary Rohan is a strong reliable one grab o/head - O Henry isnt at this stage - no way

Season 24 is a crunch year for him - and it is for Bowes - and i grant that season 23 would have been difficult for them - walking into a club that just won the flag - Scott- Danger - Stewart doing countless interviews - joy all around the joint naturally - so it would have been an unusual environment to walk into

You can write all the puff pieces - and posters can like it to the cows come home - but SEASON 24 will tell everyone what level O Henry will reach as a footballer

You have to tread very carefully on this forum discussing young players futures - which is absolute 1000% nonsense

And they have this stupid phiosophy that if you question anything to the the negative that then you barrack against that player to be proved right - fair dinkum

But i disagree with your assessment - re his marking is so good - re his o/head marking he dropped so many of them - he could even have 2-3 bites at it - but he just couldnt quite hang onto them - and sometimes they were at a vital stage - and by not holding them he put Geel under pressure - Gary Rohan is a strong reliable one grab o/head - O Henry isnt at this stage - no way

Season 24 is a crunch year for him - and it is for Bowes - and i grant that season 23 would have been difficult for them - walking into a club that just won the flag - Scott- Danger - Stewart doing countless interviews - joy all around the joint naturally - so it would have been an unusual environment to walk into

You can write all the puff pieces - and posters can like it to the cows come home - but SEASON 24 will tell everyone what level O Henry will reach as a footballer
Better to compare him to other players his age and by age he is an excellent mark. He plays much taller than his height and presents at the football like a key forward.

Maybe this reply is playing right into your fishing expedition, but the bold is such bullshit

Ollie Henry hasn't long turned 21, will be 21 for the bulk of season 2024 which will be his 4th season as a footballer, and the season in which he'll (most likely) be playing game #50

What we will "find out" about Ollie is how he's developing as a footballer, and his comfort level with his role & role within the Geelong team in his second season with the club

It's just laughable if you think you can make an assumption on what level a player will reach when they're just 21 & not yet 50 games under their belt - come back in 5 years when he's 25/26 & has 150 games, that'll give a more accurate assessment of what level Ollie will be capable of reaching during his career

You make this rant every third day, which makes it seem more like we need to tread carefully around praising players near you than the other way around.

Season 2024 "crunch" after kicking 41 goals in his debut season as a Cat (as a 21 year old) in a struggling side? Now that's a stretch.

With Bowes you have a point.

Bloke in his first season for us kicked 41 goals as a 21 year old.

But sure... for a guy that might play till he's 32 - so another 10 years - lets make his 4th season the be all and end all of his career.

Hope you got wipes handy in case that blows up near your face- but that never happens.
Boris didnt get better after 4 years.
SJ didnt.
Selwood definitely didnt.
Hawkins peaked at year 4 so you nailed that one.
And Scarlo - the king of the 4th year player peaking unit....

FFS the proclamations people force themselves into lol.

How long till the preseason games start so the silly stuff can be over with?

GO Catters

You make this rant every third day, which makes it seem more like we need to tread carefully around praising players near you than the other way around.

Season 2024 "crunch" after kicking 41 goals in his debut season as a Cat (as a 21 year old) in a struggling side? Now that's a stretch.

With Bowes you have a point.

Final post on it - i post reality

About 4-5 posts above mine - " could even bob up in the midfield - very similiar 1st 40 games to Rozee and Fyffe " - thats incredible stuff

Final post on it - i post reality

About 4-5 posts above mine - " could even bob up in the midfield - very similiar 1st 40 games to Rozee and Fyffe " - thats incredible stuff
The same reality "where 2024 will be the peak of OH's career arc?"

GO Catters

Bloke in his first season for us kicked 41 goals as a 21 year old.

But sure... for a guy that might play till he's 32 - so another 10 years - lets make his 4th season the be all and end all of his career.

Hope you got wipes handy in case that blows up near your face- but that never happens.
Boris didnt get better after 4 years.
SJ didnt.
Selwood definitely didnt.
Hawkins peaked at year 4 so you nailed that one.
And Scarlo - the king of the 4th year player peaking unit....

FFS the proclamations people force themselves into lol.

How long till the preseason games start so the silly stuff can be over with?

GO Catters

Dont get so upset - its a football forum - people are allowed to give their views without fear or favour - and you do not own the forum

Sure - you cant question a players courage - but you can give your view on what you think a players talent level is and will get to

And if Port Ade said we will swap Olivers - you can have Lord - and we will take Henry - I would do that in a heart beat

Now that is just my opinion which im entitled to on this forum - without tough guy Grandstanders jumping down my throat

Dont get so upset - its a football forum - people are allowed to give their views without fear or favour - and you do not own the forum

Sure - you cant question a players courage - but you can give your view on what you think a players talent level is and will get to

And if Port Ade said we will swap Olivers - you can have Lord - and we will take Henry - I would do that in a heart beat

Now that is just my opinion which im entitled to on this forum - without tough guy Grandstanders jumping down my throat
The bolded sections were irrelevant nonsense, the very fight starting you are accusing others of.

Sentence 3 was your actual football point and you're entitled to make it, while others are entitled to reply with disagreement without a tantrum ensuing.

Take it with grace instead of jumping at shadows, perhaps. We are in the discussion business.

For my football point -"IT IS MY OPINION AND I BELIEVE I AM ALLOWED IT": O.Henry has already proven an astute acquisition. 40 goal a season non-KPFs do not grow on trees and he's only just begun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back