Injury Jack Henry foot injury (2023 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

With tonight's update on Jack's injury & the club advising they're currently looking at it as a medium term injury, thought a thread to discuss Jack & this injury was warranted

Hope they take their time and get things right before Jack returns

Sad. I thought right from the start that likely case was after the bye. Given the description and history that seems now best case

I assume it isn’t worrying about when but just focus on the healing process. Sad for him

But for the club it is the one space we can probably cover (actually we can probably cover most spots at the moment!). Not saying that Sav and Kolo are as good just that along with SDK it is a pretty solid defence supported by bews, 2E, Zuthrie and a whole bunch of other small/mids (from atkins to MOC to Bowes to even Smith!) who can pinch hit behind the ball.

I hope Jack comes back mid year after a solid pre Season and builds for the finals…

Obviously short term we are short (literally) in the forward line. especially if/when Jezza misses for the birth…but i reckon with Rohan and the two Ollies and SDK swingman if needed they might just run with something different even without Scratcher (shame for him about his injury!), Tom and when Jezza misses.

I actually would mind seeing that this week against Brisbane - just to try it out. Give Jezza a rest…stay behind just in case with baby and keep out of injury risk!!

I did say Sav would play a lot….and you did reply only if Kolo or Jack got injured…

I know i did and i meant it.
He was never best 22 but he was literally the next kpd in which is partly why we rejected pick 33 from port (which was otherwise a very good offer) as we reasoned that we might need him and that was worth rejecting the trade.
Now he should get some games and we will see if he is worth the faith we have in him or not.

Sad. I thought right from the start that likely case was after the bye. Given the description and history that seems now best case

I assume it isn’t worrying about when but just focus on the healing process. Sad for him

But for the club it is the one space we can probably cover (actually we can probably cover most spots at the moment!). Not saying that Sav and Kolo are as good just that along with SDK it is a pretty solid defence supported by bews, 2E, Zuthrie and a whole bunch of other small/mids (from atkins to MOC to Bowes to even Smith!) who can pinch hit behind the ball.

I hope Jack comes back mid year after a solid pre Season and builds for the finals…

Obviously short term we are short (literally) in the forward line. especially if/when Jezza misses for the birth…but i reckon with Rohan and the two Ollies and SDK swingman if needed they might just run with something different even without Scratcher (shame for him about his injury!), Tom and when Jezza misses.

I actually would mind seeing that this week against Brisbane - just to try it out. Give Jezza a rest…stay behind just in case with baby and keep out of injury risk!!

Forward line we are ok as jezza will only miss 1-2 games at most, both ollies are good and neale should be back early in the year.

Defenders you are right we have lots of medium mid types (duncan tuohy bowes moc etc) who can play back there but against sides with 3 kpfs we will likely have to use sav for structure.

Imo the 3 players we couldnt afford to lose structure wise are henry/sdk, blitz and stanley (hawk as good as he is we have the fwd line depth to cover). Lets hope the other 2 stay fit.

*, does anyone actually know the type of foot injury? foot injuries can be extermely tricky. Last promising defender I liked was a guy called matthew egan, the foot injury wrecked his whole career

*, does anyone actually know the type of foot injury? foot injuries can be extermely tricky. Last promising defender I liked was a guy called matthew egan, the foot injury wrecked his whole career

But SEN understands Henry has suffered a break to the fifth metatarsal bone – the bone connecting the ankle to the little toe – which is considered the most problematic.

But SEN understands Henry has suffered a break to the fifth metatarsal bone – the bone connecting the ankle to the little toe – which is considered the most problematic.

* me, pretty sure that was what did egan. one of the metatarsal bone....they problematic cause they so small and intrigate which is hard to heal

Last edited:

This apparently is what jack has….​

How long does it take a Jones fracture to heal?​

How long it takes you to heal depends on the severity of your fracture and which treatments you needed. Most people need three to four months to recover from a Jones fracture.

Complications like nonunion or refracture will extend your healing time. It’ll also take your body longer to heal if you need bone grafting to repair your Jones fracture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a similar injury to what Beckham and Rooney both had before major tournaments in the 2000s. If it's managed well you'd think 3-4 months, but could be even sooner

* me, pretty sure that was what did egan. one of the metatarsal bone....they problematic cause they so small and intrigate which is hard to heal

Egan was a navicular.

A 12 week recovery/rehab if all goes well.
Aim for a week July 6th/13th return.
Gives him 7/8 games before finals.
A good test of our depth as we had a dream run in 2022 IMO.
Sav gets a good look in now. If he does well this conversation will die off quite quickly.
Wish him well as he is a solid fellow. Geelong thru and thru.

People seriously get “short termism” on this forum.

Think back to games last year with key players out. We did ok didn’t we? And we have more depth this year. We were never going to play our exact 22 from the GF. Rohan and Duncan will be right for Rd1. Hawkins unlikely but not 100% confirmed. And Jezza only misses if his wife literally goes into labour that day. It may happen / it may not.

I think we’ll be ok either way - and what happens Rd1 will hardly define our season. Henry missed a chunk of footy last year so he’s not exactly the key to winning or losing.

And no one could’ve forecast the years SDK and Stengle had so there’s always a silver lining somewhere. Menegola is back and looks fit with his valuable running ability - our midfield is way deeper - and Sav gets a well deserved run at it down back.

It’s a marathon not a sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back