Injury Jack Henry foot injury (2023 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

* me, pretty sure that was what did egan. one of the metatarsal bone....they problematic cause they so small and intrigate which is hard to heal
Egan was NAVICULA
Varcoe had the Fifth Metatarsal fracture.
Both are wretched injuries.
If Henry's is a recurrence, it's worse .

Definitely! The amazing thing is if we could clone Sav right now there's a decent chance both would be picked in the team for round 1. He's almost certainly our 2nd best key defender and 2nd best key forward of those available.
Even if that is true (I truly suspect Rhys would be better, anyway), it's the dictionary definition of damning him with faint praise.

His other competition for that mantle right now is a journeyman ruck who looks to be barely going and a kid who's never played beyond U18's level (who also has a niggle, I think).

It's time to set him to play back from here and see whether he can actually become genuinely AFL-competent in a specific role.

Even if that is true (I truly suspect Rhys would be better, anyway), it's the dictionary definition of damning him with faint praise.

His other competition for that mantle right now is a journeyman ruck who looks to be barely going and a kid who's never played beyond U18's level (who also has a niggle, I think).

It's time to set him to play back from here and see whether he can actually become genuinely AFL-competent in a specific role.
I believe down back this year is Sav's last chance saloon with the Cats anyway.

So disappointed for Jack's setback; 2 seasons in a row now that the first part of his season has been curtailed by foot injuries. Last time he got a clear run at it he was runner up in the B+F.

So important to us last year when he finally got some continuity into his game, too - he doesn't bob up for that contested mark/clutch goal against Richmond late in the H&A season and things may have turned out differently. His job on Franklin in the GF is already etched in GFC legend.

The fact that he was in the process of making a fair fist of a transition to KF (which of course he has dabbled in previously) and was giving us supporters a glimpse as to what type of contingencies Scott and the MC were planning in the eventuality that Hawkins not be available in the early rounds on 2023 makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow.

There's the old cliche Hawthorn's Clarkson used to go on about, ''one soldier goes down and another takes his place'' - which i personally found typically on-the-nose - but there aren't too many Jack Henry ''types'' getting around in the AFL; he is elite and there's no denying he will be a big loss.\

Hope he can come back in 2023 and get some continuity back into his footy, as he is a joy to watch when he's fit and firing; great overhead but also very quick.

So disappointed for Jack's setback; 2 seasons in a row now that the first part of his season has been curtailed by foot injuries. Last time he got a clear run at it he was runner up in the B+F.

So important to us last year when he finally got some continuity into his game, too - he doesn't bob up for that contested mark/clutch goal against Richmond late in the H&A season and things may have turned out differently. His job on Franklin in the GF is already etched in GFC legend.

The fact that he was in the process of making a fair fist of a transition to KF (which of course he has dabbled in previously) and was giving us supporters a glimpse as to what type of contingencies Scott and the MC were planning in the eventuality that Hawkins not be available in the early rounds on 2023 makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow.

There's the old cliche Hawthorn's Clarkson used to go on about, ''one soldier goes down and another takes his place'' - which i personally found typically on-the-nose - but there aren't too many Jack Henry ''types'' getting around in the AFL; he is elite and there's no denying he will be a big loss.\

Hope he can come back in 2023 and get some continuity back into his footy, as he is a joy to watch when he's fit and firing; great overhead but also very quick.
100% agree. My favourite Cat of many .

A little left field but given Esava is going so well down back can anyone see Jack as a midfield option in the second half of the season..?

Bigger body, good in traffic and he and Blitz roaming together would be a nice scenario I feel..

Looked good the handful of times he’s been given a run in the ruck.
I rate him really highly; I reckon he’d make a decent fist of midfield minutes - but not coming off a lengthy foot-related absence unfortunately.

I rate him really highly; I reckon he’d make a decent fist of midfield minutes - but not coming off a lengthy foot-related absence unfortunately.
Spot-on all points.

Worth considering for next year if Sav stays on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking more as an actual mid. Wouldn’t want to see him in the ruck. Yes he might cover more ground but you’d think less marking/spoiling contests and the resultant chance of injury.

Reported that he’s in full training so waiting another month+ to play a game doesn’t seem right.

This week we play Richmond in the VFL - do we think he walks away from the match unharmed?

We also have our second bye next week - so if he plays restricted minutes this week he then gets a weeks rest, otherwise we smash him at training over the next two weeks and he returns via the VFL in round 10 at home

I was thinking more as an actual mid. Wouldn’t want to see him in the ruck. Yes he might cover more ground but you’d think less marking/spoiling contests and the resultant chance of injury.

Yeah I understood that; I think it would probably work as Jack Henry is a versatile and talented player.

We saw what he could do in the ruck for a couple of games; his ruckwork was predictably non-existent, but he was able to get involved at the coalface. If he was played purely as a mid without having to worry about rucking then I reckon he'd go pretty well.

Unfortunately I reckon it will be a little while before Chris Scott will even have the option of pulling that lever due to the nature of Henry's injury.

This week we play Richmond in the VFL - do we think he walks away from the match unharmed?

We also have our second bye next week - so if he plays restricted minutes this week he then gets a weeks rest, otherwise we smash him at training over the next two weeks and he returns via the VFL in round 10 at home
VFL Round 10 would be a good result.

Geelong could see Jack Henry and Tyson Stengle return to the team for the weekend’s game against Fremantle, with both players currently in the mix to return from their respective foot and arm injuries accoding to Geelong GM of Football Simon Lloyd.

Health Update | Henry, Stengle in the Mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Back