Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Scott was taking about not being honest about Cameron being banged up and the like. Nobody's playing ducks and drakes with VFL players who have yet to debut.

Guys like Willis and Kroger get left off the weekly wrap because it's a video put out by the media department catering to the average fan. 99% of Geelong fans wouldn't be able to pick Willis out Kroger out of a lineup. 80% have probably never heard of them.

The club realises most fans don't want half the injury update be players they've never heard of. A one off "Flynn Kroger is an exciting young guy who returns to our VFL team this week after a hip issue and we're excited to see how he goes" is fine for most fans and they don't need a weekly list of "Kroger/Neale/Conway/Willis is progressing well with his hip/foot/hamstring injury and should be back in the medium term".
I don't think that's good enough. These hypothetical "most fans" probably don't care about the injury list at all. No mention anywhere of players for weeks, we don't even know if they are injured.

Chris Scott was taking about not being honest about Cameron being banged up and the like. Nobody's playing ducks and drakes with VFL players who have yet to debut.

Guys like Willis and Kroger get left off the weekly wrap because it's a video put out by the media department catering to the average fan. 99% of Geelong fans wouldn't be able to pick Willis out Kroger out of a lineup. 80% have probably never heard of them.

The club realises most fans don't want half the injury update be players they've never heard of. A one off "Flynn Kroger is an exciting young guy who returns to our VFL team this week after a hip issue and we're excited to see how he goes" is fine for most fans and they don't need a weekly list of "Kroger/Neale/Conway/Willis is progressing well with his hip/foot/hamstring injury and should be back in the medium term".
It's so cool how nonsensical this all has become. Some supporters of the club here have called for a weekly list (not video report, just list) of the actually injured players. Nothing more than that. Strangely enough, it's a 'privilege' that is afforded to the supporters of every other club in the competition. So it seemed to make some sense that this could be a reasonable request to make. How wrong we were!

Turns out that the club has actually been doing us all a favour all along by not releasing this info that pretty much nobody would ever care about. Don't know how I didn't see that earlier.

Now I'm just so glad that I don't support one of those other clubs, where supporters have had their time wasted with general injury updates for their entire playing list, in which they have held no interest whatsoever. How infuriating that must have been for them. And it's only going to get worse, with the AFL set to insist on even Geelong abandoning their industry-leading approach to become just another of those teams that disrespects the wishes of the majority of their supporters. So some overdue kudos from me to the Cats for handling this matter of injury reporting so maturely and respectfully, and further brickbats for the AFL as it insists on enforcing a policy that obviously the vast majority of supporters just don't appreciate at all.

#youknowitmakessense
#warningwarning
#sarcasticpost

It's so cool how nonsensical this all has become. Some supporters of the club here have called for a weekly list (not video report, just list) of the actually injured players. Nothing more than that. Strangely enough, it's a 'privilege' that is afforded to the supporters of every other club in the competition. So it seemed to make some sense that this could be a reasonable request to make. How wrong we were!

Turns out that the club has actually been doing us all a favour all along by not releasing this info that pretty much nobody would ever care about. Don't know how I didn't see that earlier.

Now I'm just so glad that I don't support one of those other clubs, where supporters have had their time wasted with general injury updates for their entire playing list, in which they have held no interest whatsoever. How infuriating that must have been for them. And it's only going to get worse, with the AFL set to insist on even Geelong abandoning their industry-leading approach to become just another of those teams that disrespects the wishes of the majority of their supporters. So some overdue kudos from me to the Cats for handling this matter of injury reporting so maturely and respectfully, and further brickbats for the AFL as it insists on enforcing a policy that obviously the vast majority of supporters just don't appreciate at all.

#youknowitmakessense
#warningwarning
#sarcasticpost
REALLY is a big issue for you.

REALLY is a big issue for you.
This is the most hilarious part of it all. It's absolutely not. But the trouble people go to here to defend the clearly ordinary handling of this matter by the club is just bizarre. Never ceases to amuse me that posters who 'don't care' go to so much trouble to supposedly defend the club from 'those who do'.

Makes perfect sense to just post 'I don't care, so stop talking about it'. Although even that would be redundant, as it invites response when silence is actually the desired outcome. But the contortions we get from some on here to 'justify' how atrociously bad the club is at just writing a few names on a list every week is just stellar in my view. Nadia Comaneci would have nothing on the mental gymnastics that's required to suggest that what the GFC does in this area is industry-leading, rather than just slipshod, disrespectful and plainly silly.

#youknowitmakessense
#warningwarning
#sarcasticpost

I'm sorry that something so minor matters so much to you. Maybe write to the club about it? Perhaps if it's in their top 500 most complained about topics they'll do something about it? Cause I doubt "why wasn't Flynn Kroger listed as injured when he didn't play VFL" is a major complaint they get.

This is the most hilarious part of it all. It's absolutely not. But the trouble people go to here to defend the clearly ordinary handling of this matter by the club is just bizarre. Never ceases to amuse me that posters who 'don't care' go to so much trouble to supposedly defend the club from 'those who do'.

Makes perfect sense to just post 'I don't care, so stop talking about it'. Although even that would be redundant, as it invites response when silence is actually the desired outcome. But the contortions we get from some on here to 'justify' how atrociously bad the club is at just writing a few names on a list every week is just stellar in my view. Nadia Comaneci would have nothing on the mental gymnastics that's required to suggest that what the GFC does in this area is industry-leading, rather than just slipshod, disrespectful and plainly silly.
There are 2 separate complaints here.

Why didn't Simon Lloyd give a full injury update? Cause media going out to members shouldn't be full of stuff most members don't care about like how Kroger's return from injury has progressed 1 week after the last update.

Why is the injury list not always complete? Probably because the people at the club that do this have 100 more important things to do and it was an oversight. What's the better explanation for Guthrie not being on the injury list a few times when he was clearly injured?

a) It was an oversight by the person at the club filling out the form.
b) the club wanted to confuse our opponents on a player they had already said was still many weeks away.
C) the club thought it would be a laugh to annoy the few fans who would notice and actually care.

There are 2 separate complaints here.

Why didn't Simon Lloyd give a full injury update? Cause media going out to members shouldn't be full of stuff most members don't care about like how Kroger's return from injury has progressed 1 week after the last update.

Why is the injury list not always complete? Probably because the people at the club that do this have 100 more important things to do and it was an oversight. What's the better explanation for Guthrie not being on the injury list a few times when he was clearly injured?

b) the club wanted to confuse our opponents on a player they had already said was still many weeks away.
C) the club thought it would be a laugh to annoy the few fans who would notice and actually care.
C! C! C!

I'm sorry that something so minor matters so much to you. Maybe write to the club about it? Perhaps if it's in their top 500 most complained about topics they'll do something about it? Cause I doubt "why wasn't Flynn Kroger listed as injured when he didn't play VFL" is a major complaint they get.
I've always said angry letters, ideally with threat to cancel membership, is the only noise going to get heard. And 5 isn't going to cut it but 1000 might.

I won't be one of them though.

I'm sorry that something so minor matters so much to you. Maybe write to the club about it?
Absolutely no need to do so, now that the dastardly AFL has stepped in and insisted that the club acts like an adult when it comes to publishing an accurate injury list every week. Trust them to ruin the good thing we had going here, while all the other clubs wallowed around in the mediocrity of embracing a very mild threshold of transparency around injury matters.

#alertunnecessarythistimeiguess

Last edited:

I don't know anyone who's calling for weekly verbal updates on 'how Kroeger is going'. The only request is a list, much like the manifestly incomplete one they already provide. Just add the names (and rough return timelines) of the players who are routinely ignored from week to week, despite the fact that it is clearly obvious they must be injured. Or on holiday in the Bahamas, I guess. Or in witness protection, I suppose.

It's not that the injury list is 'not always complete'. I think it can be shown that the injury list at the Cats was not complete for a single week of the 2023 season. You can postulate any number of reasons for why that would be the case. Although (c) certainly has no credibility as a realistic option.

So if you were to go with simply (a) or (b) (or a combination of both, as the mood takes them down at the club), that leads to the conclusion that the club is either inept (given it's a job that gets routinely done each week at every other club in the comp) or in fear. Two characteristics there that hardly propel you towards 'greatness', in my view.

Think you'll find that there's other clubs who don't always provide weekly updates or lists of injured players - with 3 or 4 weeks to go in the season Carlton provided no injury reports for at least a week and their fans were seemingly ready to riot based on their social media outcry

I know that as fans and members of the Geelong Football Club we tend to pay more attention to the news that is & isn't coming from the Club, but the complaints listed in this thread aren't isolated to Geelong, and do occur across all teams during the season - it's easier to not realise that though when it's not necessarily something you're either paying attention to or looking for

Think you'll find that there's other clubs who don't always provide weekly updates or lists of injured players - with 3 or 4 weeks to go in the season Carlton provided no injury reports for at least a week and their fans were seemingly ready to riot based on their social media outcry

I know that as fans and members of the Geelong Football Club we tend to pay more attention to the news that is & isn't coming from the Club, but the complaints listed in this thread aren't isolated to Geelong, and do occur across all teams during the season - it's easier to not realise that though when it's not necessarily something you're either paying attention to or looking for
Loose lips sink ships. Asymmetric info is one of the most powerful tools you have against an competitor.

Isolated examples of clubs not providing an accurate injury list on the odd occasion still pale into relative insignificance against the deliberate withholding of injury information that routinely happens down at the Cattery, though.

Anyway, I guess those who can't stand the 'moaning' about injury lists must be mightily relieved that the AFL has responded to the supposed two or three of us that care by insisting that Geelong sharpens up its act in 2024 and beyond. This thread will certainly be far less entertaining without the need for posters to go on defending the honour of the club against the malcontents that just can't accept that the club is clearly behaving reasonably and maturely when it comes to reporting on injuries amongst the playing group.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isolated examples of clubs not providing an accurate injury list on the odd occasion still pale into relative insignificance against the deliberate withholding of injury information that routinely happens down at the Cattery, though.

Anyway, I guess those who can't stand the 'moaning' about injury lists must be mightily relieved that the AFL has responded to the supposed two or three of us that care by insisting that Geelong sharpens up its act in 2024 and beyond. This thread will certainly be far less entertaining without the need for posters to go on defending the honour of the club against the malcontents that just can't accept that the club is clearly behaving reasonably and maturely when it comes to reporting on injuries amongst the playing group.

Hate to tell you, but there were more teams than just Geelong who were reporting injury timeframes in short, medium & long-term, some using TBC against a number of players (like half the list), others using real extended weeks return timeframes (6+ week difference) or not having players listed

I know some want to think the AFL's decision is purely in response to Geelong, but think you'll find that every club pushed the boundaries on their injury reporting in their own ways...

The changes are the AFL's way of trying to pretend they want a standardisation over an area of reporting that's been far from standardised for a while - doubt we get halfway through next season before we start seeing teams pushing the boundaries again

Going to be a long pre season with this crap , hopefully everyone will have it out of their system for next year and just accept the reason why the club won’t do as you all wish

I still don’t get the angst over this injury updates stuff

I have no doubt that every club would have fans who complain/criticise the way their club reports on things like injuries

I have no doubt that every club would have fans who complain/criticise the way their club reports on things like injuries
It really doesn’t matter in the end …I suspect the reason that people get worked up is gambling related

Otherwise shouldnt it really be what the players want in regards to their privacy? Otherwise who ******* cares

It really doesn’t matter in the end …I suspect the reason that people get worked up is gambling related

Otherwise shouldnt it really be what the players want in regards to their privacy? Otherwise who ******* cares

Gambling and Fantasy Football - I guess the latter is almost a form of gambling also, especially when you consider the money involved

Hate to tell you, but there were more teams than just Geelong who were reporting injury timeframes in short, medium & long-term, some using TBC against a number of players (like half the list), others using real extended weeks return timeframes (6+ week difference) or not having players listed

I know some want to think the AFL's decision is purely in response to Geelong, but think you'll find that every club pushed the boundaries on their injury reporting in their own ways...

The changes are the AFL's way of trying to pretend they want a standardisation over an area of reporting that's been far from standardised for a while - doubt we get halfway through next season before we start seeing teams pushing the boundaries again
Whatever you suggest about what other clubs have been doing, Geelong has had them all covered by the length of the street on one simple measure. And I believe it's the only measure that truly matters. Injured players are reasonably expected to appear on the injury list. Not 'disappear' for weeks or months at a time, as has happened in many of our recent seasons.

Under my view of what's reasonable, the club can still carry on with their 'short-term/medium-term/long-term/TBC' timeframes to maintain their 'competitive advantage'. Just list all your injured players at the start of the season, and then update the list (where it's appropriate to do so) each week. While that still seems like a measured and sensible proposition to me (and clearly also now to the AFL), it's clear that some here think even that is asking a lot of the club.

So we can only hope the GFC won't collapse under the weight of this ridiculous imposition upon our industry-leading practices as we enter 2024 and beyond.

Don't want to give the opposition info.... it's such horse s**t, I hate that we try and pull the wool over the opposition eyes, even our classic late changes!

Does it ever actually work? Were dogs gonna be worried about us surprising them with Willis? Or any other team for that matter?

I don't think it's worked for a long, long time. Teams are so well drilled now, they just adjust instantly. You see it quite literally every week when a player gets injured, frequently a star player. They just shuffle around and get on with it. Every possibility would have already been planned for.

There is absolutely no downside to the AFL regulating this from next year onwards.

• Maintain a comprehensive list.
  • Estimated weeks of absence. No “short term” etc.
  • Update it weekly.
  • Penalties for non compliance.

There is absolutely no downside to the AFL regulating this from next year onwards.

• Maintain a comprehensive list.
  • Estimated weeks of absence. No “short term” etc.
  • Update it weekly.
  • Penalties for non compliance.

Doubt we see one penalty next year for what some deem "non-compliance" - clubs will simply argue that they don't have sufficient information on the player/s situation at the time of reporting and we'll see more teams taking either the GWS option of TBC or the Richmond option of 4 - 10 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back