Prediction 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could just be Dempsey shot the lights out in preseason meaning he can't get a spot without the roles in the front half really shifting around and they don't want to experiment with that yet?
I think the degree to which Dempsey shot the lights out too could also be attributed somewhat to the pressure applied by Mannagh on spots.

So I guess we'll just write him off at 21, hey? Seems to be what this board does with a lot of our kids.

Still can't believe some of the nonsense written about Jhye, Tanner and Dempsey, who are all tracking well this PS. Give kids time and exposure, they can't all be Selwood from the get go. Look at Zach Guthrie as a prime example.

I don't think anyone's writing him off. But going by his form he's not there yet. If we rate him we'll find a way to get him some opportunities and if he takes them great. If that takes 6 seasons like Guthrie that's fine too.

It's the idea that we have to play him regardless of current form that is bizarre. So far posters have said:

"Neale needs to be blooded, you can't have him languishing in the VFL for a fourth season"

"If you can't see the value in blooding a 21-year old, 203cm monster with an elite running capacity as a third tall then you're beyond help."

"it's negligent to have a 4th year key forward rotting away in the VFL"

As you said it didn't harm Guthrie one bit spending years in the VFL getting the odd chance here and there and only staying in the team when his performances deserved it. I don't see why Neale should be any different.

The Mannagh thing is confusing me.

Just when I come to a realisation and accept that he is likely isnt going to play, this drops.

He looks the goods to me.

Not sure why we’d use pick 36 or whatever it was on a guy that’s 26 if we don’t have a role for him or want to play him.

But then they go playing him for 1.5 quarters in each match and it just seems that they don’t really wanna see him up against AFL players for a full games… which I find kinda weird because already know he is too good for the VFL, so what’s the point recruiting him and having him need to play VFL to prove himself.

Anyway I hope he plays and plays a full game… but the way he come on late in both practice matches and instantly impacted shows he could be a handy sub.

I really don’t know.

Time will tell I guess.
Yeah interesting. No doubt in my mind Mannagh could play…he is good enough on the evidence we have seen. Small and a specific player but just smart footballer. And mature.

But I am CERTAIN now that Dempsey will play. Frankly not just “done enough” but he was in our best handful for both practise games. His marking sets him apart from the other non KPF we have. so, other than a sub (which I think Mannagh could excel at) I don’t see how they squeeze Mannagh in. But we all have the sub allocated to either 2E, MOC or Bowes who are also all good options
]
What a great, but confusing, place the selection is at…lets hope it translates into performance!

I think the degree to which Dempsey shot the lights out too could also be attributed somewhat to the pressure applied by Mannagh on spots.
That could be right. Dempsey knows that Mannagh and then Rohan are natural alternates for his position. He is behind Miers, Close and Stengle in pecking order, even if he plays better than each of them…but he desperately needs to keep those other two out! And also Neale if they think they need to go big.

What a great position we are in the forward line. And backline is similar. Would love same completion for MF

Agreed absolutely correct. If i could add to that....

Our 2022 Premiership side won because of running and gunning, taking risks and being exciting.
To use the team's motto.

"It's dangerous out in open water, lets drag em out there on our level and not be safe and swim between the flags like other sides."

Playing Hawk and Jez with a smattering of medium and small forwards makes us deadly, we are the best forward line in the comp by far. It would make zero sense to go backwards by introducing Neale and making us too top heavy with Neale, Jez and Hawk and i like Scratcher...

He's not a medium hitup forward like Ollie or Rohan who can play tall or small. He's not a defensive forward like Close or Dempsey. He's not a hitup/attacking forward like Miers or Stengle. He's a tall forward, he should only be going in for Jez or Hawk being out resting/suspended/injured etc.
Excellent post FootyLad0: and I pretty much agree on everything you have said. I'd just like to add that I just wrote a post implying that Neale could play with Hawkins and Cameron but only in certain games to lessen the load when it comes to contested pack marking whereby Neale can mainly be responsible for hitting packs in the forward line to the inevitable the long ball and lessen the physical toll that comes with being involved in such demanding physical contests and hopefully at the same time hopefully fast track Neale to being a better footballer. But it's also to lessen the physical demands for Hawkins and Cameron because if we are well placed come finals, then to have a very fit and healthy Hawkins and Cameron over a very demanding and long AFL season will be critical in our attempts to win another flag but of course for this to happen Neale cannot afford to be dropping so many marks that he should be taking, but buy and large what you are saying is 100% correct and I fully concur with what you have written, congrats again on a excellent post.

That's a bizarre argument - the 203cm KPF isn't great at ground balls so we can't play him. We have Stengle, Miers, Close and Dempsey for that. Neale needs to be blooded, you can't have him languishing in the VFL for a fourth season. We gifted Esava 70 games.

Its not really. Remember the years 2015-2020 when our defensive pressure in the fwd line waa awful. Part of how we won the flag in 22 was a better pressure system but its also personnel.

Hawkins isnt great defensively, cameron is ok when he needs to be but its not his best go, henry was poor but is improving in this area. Rohan has been very good at it. One more tall in neale who is largely a non contributor defensively might be the tipping point.

That said id be staggered if hawkins plays 23 games this year so neale will get plenty of chances anyway. But i wouldnt play them all in the same team.

That could be right. Dempsey knows that Mannagh and then Rohan are natural alternates for his position. He is behind Miers, Close and Stengle in pecking order, even if he plays better than each of them…but he desperately needs to keep those other two out! And also Neale if they think they need to go big.

What a great position we are in the forward line. And backline is similar. Would love same completion for MF

It makes you wonder whether we are going to try to turn one of our excess general fwds into a spot in the midfield this year. Could be worth trying with say dempsey or mannagh on a wing.

Rohan isn't in the side for his ground ball gets, is he?

The role he plays is as a marking target and pressure forward, that's a role Neale can play, what does ground ball gets have to do with that role?

Who cares if Neale can't do everything Rohan can do? Rohan can't do everything Neale can do, e.g. pinch-hit in the ruck. The only thing that matters is they both have the attributes to play the 3rd tall forward role.

Neale was absolutely terrible when we played him in the ruck vs st kilda last year (as a fwd he showed a bit as a ruck he didnt). If he shows a genuine improvement in his rucking skills then you would consider playing him as fwd/ruck 2 (and cop the loss of defensive pressure) as it would free blitz up for other roles. But if hes not being picked for that reason then henry and rohan offer more outside of the marking contest.

possible hint for a round 1 debut 🤨

Hope so. I know we have a lot of pressure for spots but his cleanness with disposal and decision making is a POD.

It makes you wonder whether we are going to try to turn one of our excess general fwds into a spot in the midfield this year. Could be worth trying with say dempsey or mannagh on a wing.
Dempsey really needs to play a bit of wing in my opinion.

Dempsey really needs to play a bit of wing in my opinion.
Indeed, he has looked better the higher he plays. Gets to use his wheels and athleticism and doesn’t get starved of the ball i50.

Indeed, he has looked better the higher he plays. Gets to use his wheels and athleticism and doesn’t get starved of the ball i50.
Has all the tools and I think previously was probably a bit skinny for it but that running capacity, that contested marking, that knack to find a team mate, that natural attacking disposition. He can be a great wing.

Agree. Dempsey might spot on the wing but I reckon Mannagh could be a genuine mid option if others don’t perform to the level required. Miers also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Dempsey might spot on the wing but I reckon Mannagh could be a genuine mid option if others don’t perform to the level required. Miers also

Yeah I wouldn’t be shocked if we fast forwarded two years and both Dempsey and Mannagh were playing midfield minutes.

I will say Mannagh looks a little more nuggety though so even though I’ve hardly seen him play, I’d maybe have him in there before Dempsey.

Kinda hoping Mannagh gets a run through the middle soonish (would have liked to see it in the practice matches) because clearly we are stacked for forwards + we still have Rohan to come back… so if some of these half forwards can turn themselves into decent offensive mids it could be handy.

Thinking Miers could do it this year.

Then we still have Close, Mannagh, Dempsey, Stengle and Ollie Henry on the list as youngish half forward’s.

I think Ollie Henry is a locked in third forward type basically forever… but the others could possibly play further up the ground.

Dempsey and Mannagh would be my picks to do that long term.

I believe the cats will start the season conservatively sticking with most if not all of last years regulars with the inclusion of Clark for Guthrie Dempsey for Smith with Mannagh grabbing the spot opened up with the extra bench player this season, that by no means suggests he doesn't start on the ground.

I believe the cats will start the season conservatively sticking with most if not all of last years regulars with the inclusion of Clark for Guthrie Dempsey for Smith with Mannagh grabbing the spot opened up with the extra bench player this season, that by no means suggests he doesn't start on the ground.
Unless I’m missing something, there’s no extra bench spot.

Same old 4 on the bench and 1 sub.

Would actually just prefer 5 on the bench though.

I absolutely hate the sub rule.

Unless I’m missing something, there’s no extra bench spot.

Same old 4 on the bench and 1 sub.

Would actually just prefer 5 on the bench though.

I absolutely hate the sub rule.
You are right I think the change is just in the way that it's not medically attached in its flexability is that correct?

Yeah the only minor change (I think) is that last year they had to omit the sub from the 22, then add them on gameday. Now they name 23 with 5 on the bench, and nominate the sub 1hr before the game.
Hep just a technical change then.

So the sub once come from one of the emergencies and now it’ll come from a fifth bench player named.

In the end, 4 on the bench + 1 sub.

Would prefer just 5 on the bench but whatever I guess.

Hep just a technical change then.

So the sub once come from one of the emergencies and now it’ll come from a fifth bench player named.

In the end, 4 on the bench + 1 sub.

Would prefer just 5 on the bench but whatever I guess.
This is even worse if you play AFL fantasy. Because someone might get named on a Thursday but then actually be the sub.

I don't know why we need a sub anyway, 4 on the bench seemed fine to me.

It seemed like they were worried about concussions so allowed for a sub so that teams weren't disadvantaged. but then it's morphed into a tactical sub again anyway. Just make it 5 on the bench if they're concerned about injuries etc.

Mannagh has played mid and wing as well as forward at VFL level. Definitely him, he's a utility.
Dempsey could do it as well as he's quick and agile.... but idk if he has the endurance running game for a wing and you need a bit of bulk (like what Mannagh has) to be a modern day mid, otherwise you have to be silky skilled like Neale or Merrett to be a smaller mid.

Excellent post FootyLad0: and I pretty much agree on everything you have said. I'd just like to add that I just wrote a post implying that Neale could play with Hawkins and Cameron but only in certain games to lessen the load when it comes to contested pack marking whereby Neale can mainly be responsible for hitting packs in the forward line to the inevitable the long ball and lessen the physical toll that comes with being involved in such demanding physical contests and hopefully at the same time hopefully fast track Neale to being a better footballer. But it's also to lessen the physical demands for Hawkins and Cameron because if we are well placed come finals, then to have a very fit and healthy Hawkins and Cameron over a very demanding and long AFL season will be critical in our attempts to win another flag but of course for this to happen Neale cannot afford to be dropping so many marks that he should be taking, but buy and large what you are saying is 100% correct and I fully concur with what you have written, congrats again on a excellent post.
Appreciate it mate, i see your points as well. Good chat :thumbsu:

Mannagh has played mid and wing as well as forward at VFL level. Definitely him, he's a utility.
Dempsey could do it as well as he's quick and agile.... but idk if he has the endurance running game for a wing and you need a bit of bulk (like what Mannagh has) to be a modern day mid, otherwise you have to be silky skilled like Neale or Merrett to be a smaller mid.
It's a good take, but I'm going to guess that Dempsey has Mannagh well covered for endurance. He's regularly touted to be one of the fittest at the club.

My hopeful side that has at least some semblance of a chance

FB: Z.Guthrie SDK J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Stewart

C: Blicavs Dangerfield Holmes
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes

HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Stengle

IC: Atkins Clark Dempsey Tuohy Mannagh(sub)

Dempsey and Miers can alternate between half forward and wing. This naturally fits with when Holmes is switched to half back.

Atkins and Clark as the midfield bull rotations. Dangerfield across half forward when one of the forwards is rotated off makes sense, he actually was dangerous (pardon the pun) in that vicinity in 2023 at times. That would be one way to manage his midfield bursts, as well as maintaining the conservative time on ground minutes.

Blicavs can also float inside for secondary ruck or as a contested midfielder. But I suspect we'll need his hard running and defensive accountability on the wing, where he can also float back to cover our defenders and create outnumbers.

Bowes given a license to own a full time midfield gig (some wing minutes are compatible with this too, but no time in defence). This one is the iffy topic as that sub role sadly could be waiting for him.

As much as I'd like Mannagh to start, role-wise one of Tuohy and MOC have to play. And I accept both could but this wouldn't be my preference. There are pros and cons for playing either. This would leave Mannagh as a high impact sub who can create havoc around half forward and with the odd burst at stoppage.

I promise not to melt when there's a difference or two in the actual selected team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back