Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to remember your post in future, instead of yelling "They're so bloody slow" but I guess that was watching Hawk in his midfield forays, Blics couldn't bend to pick up, Duncan walking in glue, Stanley immobile, and a couple of contested midfield balls having slow reflexes =no idea, twice was Ollie, MOC. When Holmes, Miers, Dempsey,Rohan et al get on a run, especially with over the back balls, we look good. I think we are getting seriously studied, and made to look slow by a combination of factors.
We saw this last year. Our second tier midfielders are not actually that bad when they have the generals in there (round 4-8 last year was an example), but are exposed badly otherwise. We are in a position now where that is still Dangerfield, but Bruhn would be the second. I would be tempted to say Bowes is more important than Guthrie now.

We fall apart when our best 2 or 3 midfielders are missing and suddenly Atkins, Blicavs, Parfitt and Clark become our primary set up.

Although Holmes offers great drive off half back we probably need to up his midfield minutes a little more until Dangerfield is back.

Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, Atkins and Parfitt with Blicavs/Conway rucking to them is a far stronger midfield than Blicavs, Parfitt, Guthrie, Atkins and Clark getting rucked to by current-day Stanley (first 1.5 quarters last week). With Duncan out, why not shift Guthrie to half back where he actually looked good against Carlton?

I don't want that if he's going Okay. More like he's already had his toes wet, let's throw him in the deep end of that sweaty sea and see what he's got, if he's fit - and it has to be better than bad Stanley at the least.
I mean I want him to go OK too, and I'm sure he will until he runs out of gas. Will be interesting to see. I expect Clark sub and Conway off for him maybe 3rd quarter

We saw this last year. Our second tier midfielders are not actually that bad when they have the generals in there (round 4-8 last year was an example), but are exposed badly otherwise. We are in a position now where that is still Dangerfield, but Bruhn would be the second. I would be tempted to say Bowes is more important than Guthrie now.

We fall apart when our best 2 or 3 midfielders are missing and suddenly Atkins, Blicavs, Parfitt and Clark become our primary set up.

Although Holmes offers great drive off half back we probably need to up his midfield minutes a little more until Dangerfield is back.

Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, Atkins and Parfitt with Blicavs/Conway rucking to them is a far stronger midfield than Blicavs, Parfitt, Guthrie, Atkins and Clark getting rucked to by current-day Stanley (first 1.5 quarters last week). With Duncan out, why not shift Guthrie to half back where he actually looked good against Carlton?

Agree. speed on a long ball was our ace, but Ports pressure and some of Melbs, put an end to that for the jump on us. Apart from the midfield, what we really didn't want was turnovers moving the ball from there in to forward caused by roaming Jezza. Okay there was a splendid pass to Close, but a bit of sheer panic and bombing to interceptors. It was like any plan was stifled. Hawk drifts down too, less occasionally than he used to do, but whilst he can dead stop anyone with his strength, he's too slow on reflexes to catch them and won't fly

This is why I agree perhaps Holmes could help out, and why Dempsey is holding his own. Bruhn back definitely helps, and Guthrie did do a few good things (from watching the replay), let's hope he builds on the positive, because we really need a savvy in and under.

I'd like us to line up like this at times:

FB: Z.Guthrie SDK J.Henry
HB: Stewart Kolo C.Guthrie

C: Dempsey Bruhn Blicavs
FOL: Conway Bowes Holmes

HF: Close O.Henry Miers
FF: Stengle Neale Rohan

IC: Atkins Parfitt O'Connor Mullin Clark(sub)

When Blicavs rucks, O'Connor to the wing. Miers and Dempsey swapping between half forward and the other wing. Holmes and C.Guthrie alternating between half back and midfield stoppages. Atkins and Parfitt as relief/defensive midfielders, then when Clark subs on move Atkins to the half back line.

This is the game to unleash Bowes and Bruhn as our two primary midfielders, with Holmes injecting some spark with split positional minutes. This would be a lot more dynamic than the midfield set up we went with last week.

Game day!!!

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back