AFL slams 'offensive' web page

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually mostly agree with you. I am not saying that Aboriginals should be given assistance based on anything other than need, just that the reason that they need assistance is based on racial factors. I'm not suggesting you are a racist by the way, in fact I appreciate your contributions to the debate. Let's leave it at that.

Fair enough. Respect :)

Some of the assistance to Aboriginals CAUSES racism in my opinion.
By generalising to make it easier to provide assistance to those who need it ( usually financial assistance which is not always the only thing required ) all Torres Strait Islanders and Aboriginals are bundled together in that category.
People then form the opinion that all of them need assistance and are living of welfare. By rationalising the Australian law as such, people are given the impression that its OK to generalise and that the Aboriginals are inferior.

Agree completely.

Bring it back to AFL Memes for a second; the Hamish McLachlan stuff is consistently funnier and higher quality then a lot of the AFL Memes stuff. However, my biggest suggestion to the site is to change the page title to Footy Memes so they AFL won't have any need to take action.

the only bad things i have come across is about milne being a rapist cause thats a crime but even then ive only seen like two the rest arent that bad its all in good fun

Fair enough. Respect :)

Agree completely.

Dude... you're about 16 years old. (If not you're doing a bang-up job of impersonating a teenager)

You know just about nothing. Sorry to get real, but it's true isn't it? Are you aware of the complex (that means "old people with real jobs and a decade or two of experience have sweated over the details") considerations of the definition of "aboriginality"? It's been going on since Europeans arrived on this blessed rock.

Dude... you're about 16 years old. (If not you're doing a bang-up job of impersonating a teenager)

It doesn't surprise me that my line of thinking on this issue could be considered naive. Different opinions are often considered to be naive, as if there is a certain maturity level to be reached when they will change their mind and think like all the others.

History can be used as a way of ensuring past mistakes aren't repeated but too much focus on it will prevent real change from ever occurring.

You know just about nothing. Sorry to get real, but it's true isn't it? Are you aware of the complex (that means "old people with real jobs and a decade or two of experience have sweated over the details") considerations of the definition of "aboriginality"? It's been going on since Europeans arrived on this blessed rock.

I know more than I let on. And yes I am aware of the history. Any particular point you want to make about it?

I don't even get wtf kfc is even arguing against.
I heard some flogs trying to say that fried chicken jokes weren't racial vilification, and I felt the need to correct them. All this crap about treating a man based solely on the colour of his skin is a figment his imagination.
Either contribute a coherent argument, without resorting to creating your own imagined POVs to argue against, or GTFO :thumbsu:

The only thing I'm glad about is that you are a lone ranger. A few people have posted to try to educate you, but have left in a sea of :rolleyes:
You are so far gone into a sea of ignorance:
Nice try, strawman, MLK achieved some fantastic outcomes for african-americans. His efforts played a huge role in ensuring that american law and american society views african-americans as equals.

Now that this has been achieved, his campaigns are largely irrelevant in society today as equality has been achieved....

it's just so very very :eek:. I can't blame my fellow posters for trying to help a person so clearly in need, but I also can't blame them for feeling you're a lost cause and bailing.

I don't even get wtf kfc is even arguing against.
I heard some flogs trying to say that fried chicken jokes weren't racial vilification, and I felt the need to correct them. All this crap about treating a man based solely on the colour of his skin is a figment his imagination.
Either contribute a coherent argument, without resorting to creating your own imagined POVs to argue against, or GTFO :thumbsu:

Short memory? Here's a roundup of how this discussion began.

1. DawofSuspension had a whinge about the Majak Daw fried chicken joke
2. Necromancer Beth and others questioned how it was any different to making jokes about poms and teeth, kiwis and sheep, irishmen and potatoes etc
3. You chimed in pointing out that the origins of the fried chicken joke are in african-american slavery and that apparently Daw's parents were slaves, even though he's not african american
4. i chimed in at about this point with the view that it is stupid to assume how someone should feel about a comment based on the colour of their skin or their race, i.e. Daw is black, therefore he should be offended. We then also had a couple of tangents about whether people should be offended or not, and not assuming that people are intending to be racist
5. ????
6. Profit (where we are now)

3. You chimed in pointing out that the origins of the fried chicken joke are in african-american slavery and that apparently Daw's parents were slaves, even though he's not african american

People were posting incorrect statements, like claiming that a fried chicken joke was not a form of racial vilification, so I corrected them.
Show me where I posted that Daw's parents were slaves.

Here you go...

When you make fried chicken jokes to a black person, you are joking about the fact their grandparent was a slave. And don't for one ****ing second think that that history does not affect the people living with that stigma today.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

People were posting incorrect statements, like claiming that a fried chicken joke was not a form of racial vilification, so I corrected them.

I don't doubt that when most people take the piss out of someone's ethnicity, they are not intending to racially vilify someone. It is part of Australian culture to take the piss out of all aspects of people.

Of course there are some ********s who look to racially vilify someone because they racists.

However, the reality is that most people who make a fried chicken joke would see it as no different to making a pom teeth joke, kiwi sheep joke etc. And in the end, isn't that what you want? You want a society that doesn't racially vilify? That makes comments without the intent to be racist? So by continually accusing people of racism and assuming racist intent you only draw attention to the problem - if not create one that doesn't exist in that situation - and make it worse.

So by continually accusing people of racism and assuming racist intent you only draw attention to the problem - if not create one that doesn't exist in that situation - and make it worse.

Yeah it's Intent that's the problem. So say, if you make a bunch of racist jokes, instead of contributing to systemic oppression, the bewitching might of Intent spreads out, blocking every single person from fully hearing the awful racist s**t you just said, further preventing them from internalising it and using it to justify actions.
It also prevents it from creating an environment where racist behavior is seen as more acceptable, by twisting the very threads of fate there as well!
And, the best part? If you say it in earshot of someone who’s offended or hurt by it, the magical powers of Intent change everything! Now, instead of hearing a hurtful slur or sentiment that reminds of past abuses at the hands of ****jobs, the person in question only hears the beautiful natural sound of birds chirping. Or whale noises! Because you see, Intent is just that powerful. It literally keeps anyone from getting hurt by your ****ery! Magic!
Why the **** are you trying to defends people's right to make racist jokes? I'm not saying people don't have that right, I'm just saying it's ****ing awful. You can't seriously be that stupid that you are trying to contribute to a conversation about racism by saying we can solve it by ignoring it :confused::confused: oh wait...
For there to be any impact on a supposed 'victim' of 'racism' the victim has to be offended. What I don't get is why people just don't give a ****?
:rolleyes:

Yeah it's Intent that's the problem. So say, if you make a bunch of racist jokes, instead of contributing to systemic oppression, the bewitching might of Intent spreads out, blocking every single person from fully hearing the awful racist s**t you just said, further preventing them from internalising it and using it to justify actions.
It also prevents it from creating an environment where racist behavior is seen as more acceptable, by twisting the very threads of fate there as well!
And, the best part? If you say it in earshot of someone who’s offended or hurt by it, the magical powers of Intent change everything! Now, instead of hearing a hurtful slur or sentiment that reminds of past abuses at the hands of ****jobs, the person in question only hears the beautiful natural sound of birds chirping. Or whale noises! Because you see, Intent is just that powerful. It literally keeps anyone from getting hurt by your ****ery! Magic!
Why the **** are you trying to defends people's right to make racist jokes? I'm not saying people don't have that right, I'm just saying it's ****ing awful. You can't seriously be that stupid that you are trying to contribute to a conversation about racism by saying we can solve it by ignoring it :confused::confused: oh wait...

With particular reference to the bolded bit, person with "woe is me" mindset will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump. Sorry would have started a new thread but I'm a bit yellow at the moment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fa...ginal-memes-page/story-e6frf7jo-1226447001950

IN A major win for people power, Facebook has taken down a page mocking Aborigines after it sparked widespread outrage and campaigns for its removal

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2012/s3564731.htm

Despite some changes a Facebook page which has caused outrage by featuring offensive comments about Aborigines still appears to be in breach of Australia's Racial Discrimination Act.

The content has been largely replicated elsewhere on the internet

If you google it there is still plenty of stuff for you to judge if it is racist or not.

I have seen the aboriginal meme page it's hilarious people get upset over nothing because they have no lives

It's sad how people create alias accounts so they can troll people with comments like this.

By the way, your primary account is also getting a card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back