Roast AFL Ticketing Bugbear

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm getting fed up with the way the AFL treats us fans when it comes to ticketing and general admission notification.

Firstly I am a paid up Richmond member (along with the rest of my family) alas we are 11 home game general admin members.

My bug bear is this... I feel we're forever being told to double dip! ie: pay up for our membership, and then pay up again to upgrade to a reserved seat.

In the lead up to Rd 1 we were told to expect a 90K+ crowd and the MCG App only showed a total of 2 bays available for GA and walk ups in the top of the Ponsford stand.
The AFL, the Carlton FC and the Richmond FC all hit up social media with a scare mongering campaign saying "Tickets are selling fast, better guarantee your spot by purchasing a reserve seat now".

The on game day, magically a further 13 bays in the Ponsford and the Southern Stands were shown on the app as being available for GA.

Fast forward to this week and this is what was being shown right up until 10am this morning as being available for walk ups and GA members...

IMG_1762.jpg
One full bay in the Southern Stand (Q1) and 6 part bays (up the back) in the Ponsford.

I held out, didn't panic, my brother in law did though and shelled out big $$ to reserve his family seats in the Olympic Stand.

Then at 10.30am today, magically all of these bays became available!

IMG_1763.jpg
Suddenly there's 9 new FULL bays available.
It's scare mongering folks... don't fall for it if you can't afford it. Wait it out, and turn up early to secure the best GA you can on the day.

I kind of wish the AFL, MCG and clubs would do this in reverse.
ie: start with a large number of bays available, and then as they sell remove them from the GA map.
Leave it up to the punters to make a decision (with the right information) to decide if they need to upgrade.

My group of 5 were risking GA, glad to see that more has opened up. But yeah, that’s a dirty move and personally I might email the club and complain about it. They’ve encouraged people to reserve seats knowing full well that more GA would be released. Probably not their fault but I know for sure the AFL won’t listen.

11 game members yet we have to pay to go to marvel?
11 game members yet we have to pay for upgrades?
11 game members yet you can’t get a seat where you want?

I’ll be a normal member next season and watch it on kayo and go to local games.

My group of 5 were risking GA, glad to see that more has opened up. But yeah, that’s a dirty move and personally I might email the club and complain about it. They’ve encouraged people to reserve seats knowing full well that more GA would be released. Probably not their fault but I know for sure the AFL won’t listen.

Yeah good luck. They'll just pass the buck like they always do. Similar to last year with grand final ballot issues. "It's a tiketek issue...call them". "It's a club issue, call Richmond"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back