Under Age AFL U15s and U16s

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Migjt be early but that sandringham dragons and oakielgh chargers class of 19 is gonna be a good matt rowell hell alot of luke Mcdonald same just a man child good athleticism and fantastic skiils and it's not his first time being a bottom ager for victoria

Luke uinake Davies will make tac cup debut as a u16s year old, credit to him to get a game as a 16 year in the tac cup team and wouldn't be surprised of we see more cause schoolfooty is over

4 dandenong stingrays , cj jiath very stiff him and aiden domic were the engine room for vic country, luke Davies uniacke is abit overrated in my mind

I have seen a bit of Luke this year in the APS competition. If anything he is very under rated. Got banged up in the first game of the carnival and struggled with the attention he got. But when you watch this kid play your jaw just drops.
He was making under 18 top talents look stupid, his size and agility will make him a top pick in his draft year. Does need to work on his kicking though as it can drop off at times.
After the under 15 carnival a lot had him as the #1 in the country for his age group.
He displayed the same ability for Haileybury also finishing in the top end of there B&F as a year 10 I believe.
Definately one to look out for.
Also Clavarino was very good for HY in the APS as a year 10.

With the under 15 team this year it was very hard to gauge as a lot of the top talent didn't even go to the trials as they had been encouraged not to by there TAC team as they don't find it necessary for them too at that age in a school based competition.

The two best KPF's for this age group would be the King brothers (Ben/Max) from Sandringham. Both already Mid 190's and clunk everything that comes into the forward 50.
A top talent at the stingrays under 15 level is Mitch Riorden. Gun midfielder who would have been one of the first picked in the squad if he didn't get injured right at the start of the trials.
Another one worth watching for next year's under 16's is William James. Plays School footy with West at St Kevins.
Is a very solidly built and athletic mid/third tall. A natural footballer.

I think I've mentioned the Vic U15 guys earlier in this thread, not really sure about too many others. Only had a quick look.

Nothing really jumped at me, Nate Dear the U12 is the son of Paul Dear (and Harry Dear- Who is on the Crows' list younger bro)

How many ex-AFL players have Smith as there last name! Could be plenty of F/S in the U12s, I'll have to have a closer look at some point.
I think Sam Darcy in the 12's is a WB F/S

Rhylee West in the older group definitely is

Rhylee West in the older group definitely is

I've heard the kid is a bit like Libba in the way that he needs to work on not being such a spoilt, rude brat.

I also went to the EDFL 18.5s Grand Final yesterday and one of the U16s boys; Cam Rayner had an absolute blinder kicking 7 and he's a bloody onballer!!! 2016-2017 drafts should be pretty good by the sounds of it.

Haileybury good footy school but xavier and Brighton grammar look frighteningly good in a couple years alot of sandy dragons and oakielgh chargers development squad players in the first team and st kevs is a one man team (rylee west ) with out his injury he'd be the best player in Victoria and mitch riordan captaines u12s but hasn't reach heights like most haileybury people think he's got complacent

With the under 15 team this year it was very hard to gauge as a lot of the top talent didn't even go to the trials as they had been encouraged not to by there TAC team as they don't find it necessary for them too at that age in a school based competition.

The two best KPF's for this age group would be the King brothers (Ben/Max) from Sandringham. Both already Mid 190's and clunk everything that comes into the forward 50.
A top talent at the stingrays under 15 level is Mitch Riorden. Gun midfielder who would have been one of the first picked in the squad if he didn't get injured right at the start of the trials.
Another one worth watching for next year's under 16's is William James. Plays School footy with West at St Kevins.
Is a very solidly built and athletic mid/third tall. A natural footballer.
U are right m8 tac cup clubs don't really rate schoolboys

I have seen a bit of Luke this year in the APS competition. If anything he is very under rated. Got banged up in the first game of the carnival and struggled with the attention he got. But when you watch this kid play your jaw just drops.
He was making under 18 top talents look stupid, his size and agility will make him a top pick in his draft year. Does need to work on his kicking though as it can drop off at times.
After the under 15 carnival a lot had him as the #1 in the country for his age group.
He displayed the same ability for Haileybury also finishing in the top end of there B&F as a year 10 I believe.
Definately one to look out for.
Also Clavarino was very good for HY in the APS as a year 10.
He is not the best player its all about development luke was probably bigger than most blokes but now players can match it with him like an example Hunter clark

Dylan Clarke Melbourne Grammar year 11 draftable end of 2016. Won the school b&f ans is absolutely primed for big things.

U are right m8 tac cup clubs don't really rate schoolboys

TAC teams rate schoolboy players, they just dont like the school system because they take their best players for a fair chunk of the season which is fair enough. Id be annoyed too if I was running a TAC team.

I agree Riorden had gotten complacent this season, he just expected it all to happen. Not making the vic side and a few guys playing well against him seemed to have really gotten on his nerves. I can see him having a very good pre season and stamping his authority in next year's natonal champs.

Luke Davies though, I haven't seen anyone be able to do what he can do at 1st level as a year 10. I dont think there would be anyone with the upside he has. His height and size are already good as you say but he wasn't playing against kids smaller then him this season. He was playing against the 1st XVIII teams in the APS who arnt exactly small and still played exceptionally well when he wasn't injured.
I can't see how you can say he was good because he matured sooner than others his own age.

In terms of the next couple of seasons in the APS, Brighton are well placed because they have Shaw as the coach, without his exceptional coaching at schoolboy level I personally don't believe they would have been anywhere near as successful. They have now built a fortress at BGS due to the style of play he has them playing. In terms of talent coming through it's not great but it's good enough with Shaw as coach to get the most out of them.

Before West even started at St Kevins his year level were the strongest in Comp. he has just added to a very strong year level.
I don't believe Xavier can be mentioned in the same level as Brighton or St Kevins at this current time, they are a very strong football school but haven't enjoyed recent success and don't appear as strong as you say in the next couple of years.

Talent wise Haileybury are best placed for their year 10,11,12 levels next season but that won't get you APS success alone. They will miss a number of players due to vic commitments. The culture also isn't as strong as BGS, Skevs, MGS or Xavier. I would say they are better placed than most schools though.

I personally hope Geelong Grammar can build something with the next two seasons. They have some real talent and an advantage of a strong home ground if they can utilise it.

Who is your pick for next season?

TAC teams rate schoolboy players, they just dont like the school system because they take their best players for a fair chunk of the season which is fair enough. Id be annoyed too if I was running a TAC team.

I agree Riorden had gotten complacent this season, he just expected it all to happen. Not making the vic side and a few guys playing well against him seemed to have really gotten on his nerves. I can see him having a very good pre season and stamping his authority in next year's natonal champs.

Luke Davies though, I haven't seen anyone be able to do what he can do at 1st level as a year 10. I dont think there would be anyone with the upside he has. His height and size are already good as you say but he wasn't playing against kids smaller then him this season. He was playing against the 1st XVIII teams in the APS who arnt exactly small and still played exceptionally well when he wasn't injured.
I can't see how you can say he was good because he matured sooner than others his own age.

In terms of the next couple of seasons in the APS, Brighton are well placed because they have Shaw as the coach, without his exceptional coaching at schoolboy level I personally don't believe they would have been anywhere near as successful. They have now built a fortress at BGS due to the style of play he has them playing. In terms of talent coming through it's not great but it's good enough with Shaw as coach to get the most out of them.

Before West even started at St Kevins his year level were the strongest in Comp. he has just added to a very strong year level.
I don't believe Xavier can be mentioned in the same level as Brighton or St Kevins at this current time, they are a very strong football school but haven't enjoyed recent success and don't appear as strong as you say in the next couple of years.

Talent wise Haileybury are best placed for their year 10,11,12 levels next season but that won't get you APS success alone. They will miss a number of players due to vic commitments. The culture also isn't as strong as BGS, Skevs, MGS or Xavier. I would say they are better placed than most schools though.

I personally hope Geelong Grammar can build something with the next two seasons. They have some real talent and an advantage of a strong home ground if they can utilise it.

Who is your pick for next season?

I watched both West and Riorden play against each other earlier in the year out at Keysborough. Riorden had an injured foot and beat West winning the game for Haileybury. This was around the time the Vic teams were released. He might have seen it as a good time to vent some frustration with the selections but he easily win that contest.

I heard westy was killing it and they had to put clayton taylor on him and riordan is not him self anymore alot of players are better than him now his team alex young has improved heaps unlike mitch riordan his lost of confidence an his agility and quicknes that saw him dominate the footy,u gotta remember that mitch riordan is 184cm and big bodied were westy is around 179ish not the biggest frame and i don't think getting injured is why he didn't make vic team jack bytel didn't play last game and his talent got him through, i think the talent pool is easy to make it u look at a player like jy caldwell who was a emergency but still made ALL AUSTRALIAN , now if that was 5 years ago it would be harder for blokes to adapted to the footy and haileybury will get alot of players from scholarships from ssv n etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard westy was killing it and they had to put clayton taylor on him and riordan is not him self anymore alot of players are better than him now his team alex young has improved heaps unlike mitch riordan his lost of confidence an his agility and quicknes that saw him dominate the footy,u gotta remember that mitch riordan is 184cm and big bodied were westy is around 179ish not the biggest frame and i don't think getting injured is why he didn't make vic team jack bytel didn't play last game and his talent got him through, i think the talent pool is easy to make it u look at a player like jy caldwell who was a emergency but still made ALL AUSTRALIAN , now if that was 5 years ago it would be harder for blokes to adapted to the footy and haileybury will get alot of players from scholarships from ssv n etc

Clayton Taylor didn't play on west, clayton is another interesting player. Plays like an undersized key forward but is real aggressive at the contest. Not sure how he has played outside the couple of games I saw.
Westy is very solidly built, was bigger than the Haileybury boys which is why he was so strong in the contest.

This is why this age is so interesting, so much development will happen and picking and choosing who will/won't is a challenge. Makes a lot more enjoyable then seeing the finished project straight up.

You try telling the Skevs boys Riorden has lost his quickness/ Agility, they will laugh at those comments.
Young has improved a lot this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Haileybury picked up a couple of those South East boys including young/ Plummridge. I don't think they'd need to be overly aggressive with this year level though. But it goes back to the culture thing I mentioned earlier, HY need scholarships to be successful not all the other schools do because they have such large numbers coming through.

Clayton Taylor didn't play on west, clayton is another interesting player. Plays like an undersized key forward but is real aggressive at the contest. Not sure how he has played outside the couple of games I saw.
Westy is very solidly built, was bigger than the Haileybury boys which is why he was so strong in the contest.

This is why this age is so interesting, so much development will happen and picking and choosing who will/won't is a challenge. Makes a lot more enjoyable then seeing the finished project straight up.

You try telling the Skevs boys Riorden has lost his quickness/ Agility, they will laugh at those comments.
Young has improved a lot this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Haileybury picked up a couple of those South East boys including young/ Plummridge. I don't think they'd need to be overly aggressive with this year level though. But it goes back to the culture thing I mentioned earlier, HY need scholarships to be successful not all the other schools do because they have such large numbers coming through.
He doesn't use his athletic ability that much come to eastern ranges vs dandenong stingrays under 15s and watch

Absolute monster as in height? Usually blokes that size dominate very young- A lot of question marks whether they dominate.

I remember about 6 years ago the best player in Victoria was a massive tall and big bloke. By the time U18s came around he was rubbish and everyone had caught up in height.

No doubt one to watch though, good effort for an U14 lad.

Matt is no monster in terms of size - just talent. Finds a lot of the ball, very hard to tackle, excellent disposal on both sides and can take a strong contested mark against much bigger kids. Has won league Div 1 medal every year in the very strong YJFL junior comp. Selected for Vic Primary School team in both Year 5 and 6

Migjt be early but that sandringham dragons and oakielgh chargers class of 19 is gonna be a good matt rowell hell alot of luke Mcdonald same just a man child good athleticism and fantastic skiils and it's not his first time being a bottom ager for victoria
Matt Rowell a man-child? I think you have been looking at the wrong player - plays point guard as a basketballer!

With talk of the AFL lowering the F/S rule to 50 games with the points system making things fairer, will be interesting to see what happens with the Charlie Spargo situation, he's in the GWS academy, but he's been coming down to FS clinics at Arden St since he was younger. We'll see if it's implemented in time.

Paul played 81 games for North and after just missing out on Josh Kelly, Angus Brayshaw and his subsequent brothers it would be nice.

I have actually played against Tom hird before 1 on 1. Nothing special about him at all. Crocker will not live up to the hype

Why is that kaistar ? Do you think more attitude or ability what is going to hold Joel back?

Nahh
He is an ok kid
Yes he is very confident
& quite frankly he isn't a star
Very hard at it, but no composure with the ball
My kid played against him a few times So I've seen him firsthand

Yeah I saw him play a few games for ENPS a few years back. Not exactly sure he'll make anything of himself at AFL level. Same goes with Mason Fletcher.

With talk of the AFL lowering the F/S rule to 50 games with the points system making things fairer, will be interesting to see what happens with the Charlie Spargo situation, he's in the GWS academy, but he's been coming down to FS clinics at Arden St since he was younger. We'll see if it's implemented in time.

Paul played 81 games for North and after just missing out on Josh Kelly, Angus Brayshaw and his subsequent brothers it would be nice.

When has this Lowering of the F-S Rule been Talked about? 1st I heard of it

Everyone keep a careful eye on James Rowe, South Australian midfield/forward pocket playing u/16 at Woodville West Torrens Eagles Football Club. James (son of Stephen) despite his small stature coming in at 163 cm and 66 kilos is able to find the ball as well as anyone at this age, bust through packs, avoid tackles and loves to push up forward and hit the scoreboard. He has an outstanding ability to work both ways up and down the field and do the hard yards when it is needed of him. Rowe's ball use efficiency would have to be mixing it with the best in the competition. He can put his head over the ball and really does the team thing, very unselfish player.

Player comparison: He plays remarkably like a young Sam Mitchell through the midfield, he just has a knack for knowing where the ball will end up (usually in his hands), plays above his height and it works out well for him. The kind of player you wish you had three of, a real star and has been an honor working with him and watching him develop in to classy young player and a great kid. Has a very bright future ahead of him. Watch this space because this kid is going to do great things, inside footy or out.

Thanks James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back