AFL Women's League

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a great atmosphere and game was entertaining. Don't expect those sorts of crowds regularly but if numbers keep up to a reasonable level it would be nice if they revamped the lights and made it a regular twilight series in preseason. It was a fun night out.

Great night out. Seemed like a real excitement in the air. Great to be part of a sporting code that gets a turn out like that.

Afl did so well with the timing of this game, venue and picking 2 huge Victorian clubs.

I enjoyed the game mostly. Collingwood kicking 1 goal was shocking though. There were some excellent passages which in years to come will be the norm as
More more girls take up the sport.

IMO the timing of this league is A+. If the males were playing tomorrow and women tonight there is no way I would have gone but giving the women the "main attraction" opportunity at this time of year is spot on. No big bash, no men's Afl to compete with is an excellent choice.

Great game. I was worried 8 teams was going to stretch the talent way too thin. And whilst the skill level wasn't quite there, it was still great to watch football played differently to what we've become accustom to with the men. No set plays, unpredictable and tough.

The scoring is interesting. I'll be surprised if a club betters Carlton's 7 this weekend. On one hand, low scoring matches ensures the matches stay close and goals are more valuable, however pretty much every AFL fan loves a high scoring shootout, but that's just not going to happen organically in the AFLW given the lack of talent pathways up until now.

I hate the bastardising and watering down of things, but I'd be intrigued to see AFLW trial some modifications that not only serve to compliment the womens athleticism and abilities, but also ensure matches are exciting and fresh, similar to Big Bash. Logistically it might be a challenge, but a smaller field size relative to their kicking distances will help matters. Perhaps also the introduction of super goal (I know) from say 35m will add that extra buzz in close matches (which you would expect most to be this season).

Of course it's not going to get 22k every week, heck 10k would be a massive achievement. But the buzz is there, and it's quite clear that AFLW can go places. Would love to see the league use the W as a vehicle to return to suburban grounds, like Glenferrie, Moorabbin etc.

Last edited:
Watching tonight with Miss 2.5.
cac2dddaaa5e09ece1cc9d0c40878fe3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great game. I was worried 8 teams was going to stretch the talent way too thin. And whilst the skill level wasn't quite there, it was still great to watch football played differently to what we've become accustom to with the men. No set plays, unpredictable and tough.

The scoring is interesting. I'll be surprised if a club betters Carlton's 7 this weekend. On one hand, low scoring matches ensures the matches stay close and goals are more valuable, however pretty much every AFL fan loves a high scoring shootout, but that's just not going to happen organically in the AFLW given the lack of talent pathways up until now.

I hate the bastardising and watering down of things, but I'd be intrigued to see AFLW trial some modifications that not only serve to compliment the womens athleticism and abilities, but also ensure matches are exciting and fresh, similar to Big Bash. Logistically it might be a challenge, but a smaller field size relative to their kicking distances will help matters. Perhaps also the introduction of super goal (I know) from say 35m will add that extra buzz in close matches (which you would expect most to be this season).

Of course it's not going to get 22k every week, heck 10k would be a massive achievement. But the buzz is there, and it's quite clear that AFLW can go places. Would love to see the league use the W as a vehicle to return to suburban grounds, like Glenferrie, Moorabbin etc.
Biggest problem here is (unfortunately) the Dees. We are never getting summer games at the G, so will Casey work? Time will tell.

If crowds are anything like this, I can see them getting shifted to princes park too.
I think Collingwood-Melbourne will be for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest problem here is (unfortunately) the Dees. We are never getting summer games at the G, so will Casey work? Time will tell.

Melbourne train there And clearly are trying to establish a regional identity there. It's got 10,000 to pre season games so they'll keep it there

H/Sun ( Mc Farlane)5.2 stated:-
"Lockout crowds & extraordinary TV ratings have forced footy bosses to consider moving the 2017 AFLW GF to the MCG. Now on the cards is a double header of the first AFLW GF then the Ess. & Haw. Rd. 1 clash at the 'G on march 25....".

Mc Farlane also stated on 5.2:-
"... Lethlean said the AFL was ALREADY (my emphasis) in discussion with the State govt. & others about finding a home base for AFLW, with Ikon Park, Windy Hill, Whitten Oval, & Victoria Park being considered...".
He quotes Lethlean "... It ( ie Vic. Park, my words) will be in the picture for any match where up to 7,000 fans would attend, & there will still be plenty of those...".

I went to O/Park for the WB V Coll. trial game. It is an insult to the AFLW to have any games there. It is a dump for matches.

Virtually no seating, the surrounds are not very "tiered", so the viewing is very poor if you are short; no "background"because surrounds are so flat, which also makes it hard to see the play; no parking anywhere nearby (At Vic. park, you can find some parking within a 15 min. walk); no covered areas at all; & very open, so quite windy (At least when I went, there was a strong wind).

It was always previously mentioned ( by CFC itself!) it could hold only 4,000 -no idea where Lethlean came up with 7,000. I doubt O/Park could even hold 4,000 -the outer, & behind both goals very narrow.

So Coll. fans, if you want to embarass your Club & force them to transfer all future AFLW (& VFL) games eventually to the great Vic. Park, get to O./Park in BIG numbers if an AFLW game is put there.

The ensuing crush, lockout, anger & scandal from the chaotic scenes will force the CFC to reinstate the mighty Vic. Park for all future AFLW etc games! The ol'time traditional homeground footy vibe will be reborn!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back