AFL Women's League

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard on the 3AW podcast:
  • salaries will triple from the 2nd season
  • the comp will expand from the 2nd season (Geelong has already been guaranteed a spot, we know there are other clubs ready to go)
  • more than likely the comp will expand in length from 2 months to at least 3 months
  • the women prefer to have a stand alone grand final from 2018

Just heard on the 3AW podcast:
  • salaries will triple from the 2nd season
  • the comp will expand from the 2nd season (Geelong has already been guaranteed a spot, we know there are other clubs ready to go)
  • more than likely the comp will expand in length from 2 months to at least 3 months
  • the women prefer to have a stand alone grand final from 2018
A recent Fox article somewhere indicated that it is possible the Curtain raiser status of the women's grand final in 2017 will just be in terms of telecast. So the final will be the only game played at the venue, but the telecast will be followed by a men's game. Much preferable in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Apparently the West Coast Eagles have been told that they will have to wait until 2019 for a spot in the League. Not enough talent to go around apparently according to Lethlean, was one reason given.
This will fit into the Eagles new 50 million dollar facility being built at Lathlain Park, which is 2 train stops from the new Burswood Stadium. The club recently turned the sod on the site and will be ready likely in 2018.

Apparently the West Coast Eagles have been told that they will have to wait until 2019 for a spot in the League. Not enough talent to go around apparently according to Lethlean, was one reason given.
This will fit into the Eagles new 50 million dollar facility being built at Lathlain Park, which is 2 train stops from the new Burswood Stadium. The club recently turned the sod on the site and will be ready likely in 2018.

ref: https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/33187662/no-west-coast-womens-side-until-2019/

Doesnt look like its just the eagles, the afl seems to think that it will be 2019 before anyone else gets in

But AFL game and market development boss Simon Lethlean said yesterday the limited pool of elite female talent would restrict the size of the AFLW competition in its first two seasons.

Speaking at the AFLW players’ induction forum in Melbourne, Lethlean said the initial two-year pay deal struck this week between the AFL and AFL Players Association was negotiated with the eight-team structure in mind.

“We won’t expand the competition until the talent pool demands it and we can fill more sides with athletes who can play at an appropriate standard,” Lethlean said.

“My view is that that’s probably two years.

“That’s why (the players) got a two-year deal with the pay.

“We’ll be doing two-year broadcast deals.

“To make a sustainable and long-term competition, it’s best to start smaller and build as we see the demand and the talent dictate.”

It's good. It gives the current eight clubs a chance to grow their team before the introduction of new teams re assort the players.
One year was not much of a reward for winning the inaugural teams in the competition. 2 years is twice as good!

Looking through the nominations for the men's AFL draft I see they have Elli Keatch from Cranbourne Womans VFL listed as a nominee. Mistake or ambition?

upload_2016-11-26_12-58-4.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sisters can't wait to see the gws woman's team playing and winning games. I think if I'm not busy I'll go watch with them.

It's good. It gives the current eight clubs a chance to grow their team before the introduction of new teams re assort the players.
One year was not much of a reward for winning the inaugural teams in the competition. 2 years is twice as good!
Yeah Collingwood and Carlton really need the head start over the other Victorian teams. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back