Autopsy AFLW 2017 R4 - vs WB - game day #22, 'pies WIN (32 v 25) #91 - WOOHOO WE WON, WE WON, YES WE WON!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW - R4 | WESTERN BULLDOGS vs COLLINGWOOD

DATE: Saturday 25th February
GATES OPEN:
FIRST BOUNCE: 7.10pm
WHERE: VU Whitten Oval
GATES:
ADMISSION: Free

TV: Live on: 7, Fox, AFL app, afl.com.au

PUBLIC TRANSPORT: West Footscray on the Sunbury line is the closest train station (approximately 200m south east of the ground)

TEAMS

Collingwood

B:
C. McIntosh 20, S. Livingstone 12, C. Edwards 1
HB: S. Chiocci 17, N. Stevens 21, M. Hutchins 25
C: A. Barden 38
HF: A. Eva 2, S.D’Arcy 4, J. Cameron 27
F: E. Grant 5, M. Hope 23, J. Garner 43
R: E. King 60, L. Tesoriero 7, B. White 33

I/C: T. Morgan 26, M. Kuys 9, G. Walker 31, R. Schleicher 18, B. Bonnici 8, C. Bernardi 6

EMG: P. Cula-Reid 3, K. Sheahan 24

No change

Western Bulldogs

B: K.Lamb, H.Scott, B.Hunt
HB: L.Williams, A.O’Connor, H.Wildes
C: J.Lambert
HF: N.Callinan, K.Brennan, B.Lochland
F: K.McLeod, E.Gamble, K.Tyndall
R: L.Spark, E.Kearney, E.Blackburn

I/C: K.Ebb, L.Birch, A.Gogos, M.McDonald, L.Moorecroft, T.Ernst

Emerg: L.Bailey, C.Clarkson

In: L.Moorecroft, K.Brennan, M.McDonald
Out: C.Clarkson, J.Gardner, R.Neaves

PREVIEW

Following a hard fought loss in the heat and humidity of Brisbane Collingwood are playing for pride and the chance to lift themselves off the bottom of the ladder. The Western Bulldogs with just one win (a thrashing of Fremantle in the opening round) remain the slimmest of chances to feature in this year's grand final. A loss against Collingwood would put paid to that.

Last time the sides met was Australia Day's practice match (final scores 3.3 21 to 4.7 31) where despite the 'dogs having the run of play for most of the game they never really got away on the scoreboard thanks to their inaccurate kicking at goal. We ran 11 on the bench that day vs the dogs 7 and seemed to rotate the girls more giving them a quarter here and there and trying different positions. In terms of our forward line woes King played pretty much the whole game forward and for mine was our best forward on the day with 1 goal, Stevens spent the second half forward (0 goals) in a move that hasn't been repeated despite her leading and marking well, Hope was quiet, but kicked 1 goal via a free kick on the 3rd quarter siren and got more footy when she was moved up the ground late. What was worrying is that the 'dogs clean running and kicking from half back regularly opened the game up allowing them easy footy in their forward line. As we've seen in the following weeks this run and carry is where we're most susceptible with Carlton and Melbourne (in the second half) hitting the scoreboard hard.

The 'dogs are also one of those sides who have quality players capable of racking up 15+ touches, (Blackburn 12, 19, 26, Kearney 23, 23, 25, Scott 8, 20, 16, Brennan 16, 10) which is again something that has troubled us. In contrast D'Arcy leads our disposal tally with a season total of 39 with Barden (32), Hutchins (32) and Stevens (30) the only other girls above 30. I think we need to consider playing at least one hard tag to shut out a key 'dogs play maker. It would also be nice from our perspective if Brennan again misses with her ankle injury.

It's necessary all doom and gloom however with the respective losses to Melbourne by each side being much the same margin. After a dominating first half the 'pies lost to Melbourne by 19 points (4.1 25 to 7.2 44) similarly although the 'dogs didn't hit the scoreboard accurately (1.3) they lead the first quarter and were over run by Melbourne with 3 quick goals. The 'dogs were never able to regain the lead and ended up losing by 14 points (4.5 29 to 6.7 43).

From a supporters angle Whitten Oval holds just over 6.5k, so if you're planning on attending the match I'd suggest getting there early.

WOMEN'S LISTS and PROFILES

COLLINGWOOD: http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/womens-football/aflw-player-profiles

161212_aflwtile.jpg

161212_walkertile.jpg

Georgia Walker
#31 MID/FWD

Last edited:
Are we any Chance?
The positive coming into this game is the 4 quarter performance against Brisbane and the fact we finished the game with more of the play; the unknown is how much the hot and humid conditions took out of us. I always try and be optimistic and never tip against the 'pies, but to be honest we're going to need to do a lot right to win.

Missed last weekends game unfortunately. Hoping the girls can get up against the doggies and gain some confidence

On a side note , has anyone ventured to the collingwood comments on the facebook posts ? God theres some vile "supporters" our there. Absolutely disgusting what is being posted

On a side note , has anyone ventured to the collingwood comments on the facebook posts ? God theres some vile "supporters" our there. Absolutely disgusting what is being posted

We've seen some similar responses here in BigFooty

The negative responses range from the total panning of a player / players / coaches / gameplan / Nathan Buckley (?!?!?!) ... to those who post respectfully that they've given it a fair crack but it's just not for them.

I can stomach the latter - it was never going to be for everyone, and in this era of social media everyone is entitled to an opinion. The former comments have seemed to be unnecessarily venemous and cruel IMO.

The situation isn't altogether surprising. Ed publically stated pre-season that we're in it to win the inaugural Premiership. Our senior AFLW coach stated pre-season that we're striving to qualify for the grand final. Expectations were sky high and haven't been met. The collective Collingwood supporter base aren't particularly tolerant of failure - it is been that way for all my lifetime. I remember that in the 80's it being suggested that was a potential impediment to success.

Add to that the people who are starved of footy and watching the inaugural AFLW season and expecting to get their dose of something that has evolved for over 100 years and has been professional for decades

Personally, I'm just tickle pink that my club is represented on the park by a women's team. It's the inaugural year, all the clubs have just created something out of nothing, they've all got the same budget, so winning and losing is pretty much a lottery. Of course I'd rather see our girls be rewarded for their efforts by a win, but this season is about establishing a baseline. There'll be changes. Players will learn and develop. The game will get better, our players will get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does this have to clash with the cricket? I'll probably record this and watch it after the cricket's finished. I'll record the netball and might watch that afterwards.

Two Collingwood teams getting their first ever wins today would be amazing.

I rather Watch the Footy. I can just check the Scored between QTRS

I'm here...incredible support from sponsors with tons of freebies being handed out.

Would love to see our girls first win.

PS. Unlike Princes Park, Whitten Oval has a good vibe & I feel happy for them when I see Premiers 2016 sign...2 premierships I can live with. Carlton is another story altogether.

Good to hear that Sheahan is getting her first run, like most she seemed super excited leading into the season. Outside of the injured Heil everyone on our list has now played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back