AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be plenty going on behind the scenes - have no idea how we're looking at bringing Tayla across after that trade has gone through.

Will require some serious shuffling.

would have thought Collingwood would go after harris now with the picks they have.
We can only trade players.
They're all on one-year contracts with 22 able to be retained, meaning there are 5 list spots that need to filled (and one new rookie slot).

Tayla can walk via free agency and the Lions get compensation from the AFL.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-15/aflw-trade-period-what-you-need-to-know

If a player chooses to leave her 2017 AFLW club, and a trade cannot be found, the club may receive a compensation selection in the draft. This is at the AFL's discretion.

A free agency period will run from May 29-June 1, when delisted players who have not found a home will become unrestricted free agents. Adelaide found great success in 2017 with free agent Sarah Perkins.

We wouldn't use picks for Tayla Harris anyway. Picks are useless to Brisbane, they have an exclusive draft zone to pick from. Their pick #30 is worth just as much as pick #1. The only advantage of high picks for interstate teams is to trade them to Victorian teams where they actually mean something in a shared draft zone.

Tayla wants to move to Victoria, it will happen, Brisbane can't really stop her given she is uncontracted (like all AFLW players, original contracts were only 1 year long) they just hope they'll get something in return for her move and if they don't the AFL will pay them out in compensation.

Tayla wants to be a Boxer and we have (arguably) the best training facilities and support staff, we're frontrunners. We can lure her with a share of the $40,000 ambassadors fee or club employment.

(See: Chris Judd Visy Ambassador)

Welcome to Carlton Maddison Gay and Kerryn Harrington (Rookies)!

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-05-16/blues-welcome-aflw-rookie-pair

Carlton Football Club is delighted to welcome Maddison Gay and Kerryn Harrington as the two newest members to its AFLW team.

The pair join the Blues as rookie-listed players having previously excelled in their respective sports – Gay as a netballer and Harrington a basketballer.

AFLWRookiesMay16graphic.jpg

I'm not sure if these two count as codehoppers since they've signed with local league clubs this year. They might just be counted as normal rookies. Either way, only 1 rookie slot remaining for us to fill for next year.

"Clubs may nominate up to two rookies who come from other sports for their rookie list, with the agreement of those rookie players, from May 15 onwards."
Rookies are injury replacement players, so they won't get a game in Round 1 next year.

I'm not sure if these two count as codehoppers since they've signed with local league clubs this year. They might just be counted as normal rookies. Either way, only 1 rookie slot remaining for us to fill for next year.

"Clubs may nominate up to two rookies who come from other sports for their rookie list, with the agreement of those rookie players, from May 15 onwards."
Rookies are injury replacement players, so they won't get a game in Round 1 next year.
What's happened to Exon and Shierlaw?

They should be right to play next year, if they re-sign with Carlton (seem unlikely they'd go elsewhere but who knows)

I meant to say for next season rookies can only be used as injury replacement players. Unlike last year where they just made the team right off the bat. New AFLW ruling.

Nobody yet.

I saw something in all of the players who took the field this year. Don't really want to lose any after a handful of games.

We wouldn't use picks for Tayla Harris anyway. Picks are useless to Brisbane, they have an exclusive draft zone to pick from. Their pick #30 is worth just as much as pick #1. The only advantage of high picks for interstate teams is to trade them to Victorian teams where they actually mean something in a shared draft zone.

Tayla wants to move to Victoria, it will happen, Brisbane can't really stop her given she is uncontracted (like all AFLW players, original contracts were only 1 year long) they just hope they'll get something in return for her move and if they don't the AFL will pay them out in compensation.

Tayla wants to be a Boxer and we have (arguably) the best training facilities and support staff, we're frontrunners. We can lure her with a share of the $40,000 ambassadors fee or club employment.

(See: Chris Judd Visy Ambassador)
Maybe we traded all those picks today knowing this will take place...
If so, stunning!
Very happy with today's efforts.

Go blues!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw something in all of the players who took the field this year. Don't really want to lose any after a handful of games.

Plenty to like across the board for sure, but I reckon there are still some relatively easy calls to make. That's not even considering some may retire or want to play elsewhere.

Very glad the AFL made the call to expand lists going into next season with a 27 + 3 structure. It would have been ridiculous had they gone with 22 senior listed as was rumored early on.

Who have we lost off our list?
Plenty to like across the board for sure, but I reckon there are still some relatively easy calls to make. That's not even considering some may retire or want to play elsewhere.

This is the big question. Contracts for re-signed players have to be handed to the AFL on May 25, the second last day of the trade period. So I'm not sure if the club will announce re-signed players as they sign the contracts or until that date when all is submitted to the AFL.

Some players might want to retire as they've already 'lived their dream' and had a shot at the big time (or retired due to injury like Collingwoods Kate Sheahan) but we don't have an older list like other teams.

Either way, requiring a minimum of 5 delistings/traded players is a tough job, especially with the small(er) 2017 list and only 16 players on field...

Only two I can think of:

Tahni Nestor. Was an injury replacement player for Natalie Plain. She seems fine but might not make the cut, then again she was an academy player and maybe just needs a season of VWFL. Plus playing in the now crowded backline there might not be opportunities for her. Maybe de-list and try to pick up in the draft again? Or trade for someone.

Hayley Trevan. She was overlooked in the draft and we picked her up as a free agent. Only debuted in the last game but I'm not sure why she wasn't selected earlier. Can't say much about her game as she only played the one match.

I don't think either are off anywhere, but they were both rookies last year and the cap is 3.
Does the 5 list changes also include promoting women from the rookie list? If thats the case, then they might get promoted.

This is the big question. Contracts for re-signed players have to be handed to the AFL on May 25, the second last day of the trade period. So I'm not sure if the club will announce re-signed players as they sign the contracts or until that date when all is submitted to the AFL.

Some players might want to retire as they've already 'lived their dream' and had a shot at the big time (or retired due to injury like Collingwoods Kate Sheahan) but we don't have an older list like other teams.

Either way, requiring a minimum of 5 delistings/traded players is a tough job, especially with the small(er) 2017 list and only 16 players on field...

Only two I can think of:

Tahni Nestor. Was an injury replacement player for Natalie Plain. She seems fine but might not make the cut, then again she was an academy player and maybe just needs a season of VWFL. Plus playing in the now crowded backline there might not be opportunities for her. Maybe de-list and try to pick up in the draft again? Or trade for someone.

Hayley Trevan. She was overlooked in the draft and we picked her up as a free agent. Only debuted in the last game but I'm not sure why she wasn't selected earlier. Can't say much about her game as she only played the one match.

Kate Darby played the first game I think, and was dropped only to return in the last or second last game/s. I didn't get the impression that they rated her game, because they put in some of the fill-ins before her. Or she may not have fit the match ups we wanted for opponents.

I'd have to go look at her age and attributes again to see if she'd be kept for development, or might be cut.

Don't like the cutting bit. Recruiting much more fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back