AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me the AFL are keen on letting the players reach there desired clubs at this point in time.

At this point they kind of have to, to an extent. The womens game isn't very well paid and they're trying to grow the game and entice new players to join up. It would be difficult to do that if they were being hardlined on player movement. Player morale and welfare is paramount right now.

I'd suggest that if Harris wants to get to Carlton badly enough, there is little the AFL would do and even less any other club could do in stopping her getting here.

Don't think we ll be able to get Tayla Haris now that we ve practically sold the farm for Stevens, without having to give up some of our top end talent (which I don't want to do).

Don't think we ll be able to get Tayla Haris now that we ve practically sold the farm for Stevens, without having to give up some of our top end talent (which I don't want to do).
According to many on here, most teams plan to recruit exclusively from their draft zones outside of free agency, so apparently picks mean nothing to the interstate teams.

It's either going to be a player trade, or on the slim chance they have identified someone willing to cross zone lines (or possibly outside zone rules/areas) they will get compensation from the AFL if she delists herself and becomes a free agent.

The biggest thing here is that Tayla wants to go to Victoria, Brisbane probably don't have the financial incentives to keep her there (nor does an AFLW club have enough cash flowing to keep a player at any club), and she can veto any trade she doesn't like.

It's piss poor for club retention right now, but the girls are barely playing for more than the love of the game in many cases.

This is where I get nervous.

The trade seems like it'll happen but it depends who of our women put their hands up to go play for Brisbane. It is upto the players to decide on this trade deal now, not the clubs.

I just hope if any players put their hand up for a trade, it is someone who wasn't able to get many games for us this year. I don't really want anyone to leave.

I reckon this trade will go down near the very end of trade period or not at all and Harris goes to the Victorian draft in which case Western Bulldogs picks her up. Brisbane might cave on a two player trade if the deal isn't going through by the end of trade period because they won't get anything meaningful other than AFL compensation if she puts herself into the vic draft.

Structurally, the Lions would clearly be after a ruck and a ball winning/inside mid and maybe a replacement for Tayla. We're blessed with two quality rucks, so that probably solves half the trade if one of them is up for the move.

Maybe they'd be interested in Ayre as a replacement for Harris? Not sure that would be a great move by us given she's just 19 and clearly talented.

Hopefully they're satisfied with someone who's a bit more second string after getting a quality ruck, rather than one of our top 8 or so.

This is where I get nervous.

The trade seems like it'll happen but it depends who of our women put their hands up to go play for Brisbane. It is upto the players to decide on this trade deal now, not the clubs.

I just hope if any players put their hand up for a trade, it is someone who wasn't able to get many games for us this year. I don't really want anyone to leave.

I reckon this trade will go down near the very end of trade period or not at all and Harris goes to the Victorian draft in which case Western Bulldogs picks her up. Brisbane might cave on a two player trade if the deal isn't going through by the end of trade period because they won't get anything meaningful other than AFL compensation if she puts herself into the vic draft.
From what I'm seeing I reckon the players have more pull than clubs at the moment. If there are two ladies willing to go to Brisbane, I think they will take them and be done with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest mail is deal was meant to be one Lion for two blues, now looking at two lions for two blues!

The rumour on social media is one Blue interested in heading up North is a JAK... of all trades.

From what I'm seeing I reckon the players have more pull than clubs at the moment. If there are two ladies willing to go to Brisbane, I think they will take them and be done with it.
I reckon given the very small wages in the womens league no player will be forced to go, and based on the fact Tayla has specifically chosen us she will get here.
The players who will go to Brisbane will be the ones that are told they are going to be delisted or the afl will give them draft compensation.
Given that the draft concessions are not much benefit to Brisbane they will probably be a bit hard done by.

Not Jakobsson, please

If its a 1 for 1 trade, im all for it.

She looked a little undersized for KP and a little too slow for a mobile HF.

But as other posters mentioned, with low wages it makes it hard for someone to move interstate without meaningful work.

you can almost guarantee Brisbane will have a job lined up for the girl(s).

It's been a long time since Carlton were seen as a destination club...Stephens and now Harris.

Excited for when our men's team follows suit, which i reckon could be as early as end of this year with hopefully someone like Hopper picking us over rivals.

Hopefully not the expense of Vescio or Bri

Can't spare any mids either. Like for like as far as type would be Shierlaw buy she doesn't want out.

I'm concerned by Harris being a Brisbane girl who didn't want to go anywhere else last year and embraced her pending marquee status before anyone, suddenly wants out of a strong side to move to Melbourne. Wants to do boxing so may only be here for a year.

Have to keep Davey, Vescio, Hardiman, Ayre, Sarah Hosking, Gillespie-Jones, Brazzale, Jakobsson, Pound at a minimum.

Maybe could lose good players like Loynes or Downie as they are older.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back