carb70

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tampa Bay, Liverpool
I was just wondering after 4 years of the Power, how does everybody feel about the name, logo, colours and guernsey?.

I have to admitt the first time I saw the guernsey, I was shocked but as the years have gone by I have grown to love it. Not as much as the Magpies guernsey though.

I was happy about adding teal to the colours, I feel the Power have the best colours in the AFL and I would never change them, even if Collingwood said to us that its ok to wear black & white (it will never happen though)I would still keep the teal.

Now to my biggest problem the name and logo, to tell you the truth, I hate them. Our logo of a fist holding a lightning bolt is pathetic, it is the worst logo in the AFL. I beleive we should of been known as the Pirates rather than the Power. I follow a team in American Football (NFL) known as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and their logo of a skull & crossbone is regarded as one of the best logo's in the NFL. I beleive if we were the Pirates we could have a similar logo, instead of the stupid one we have now.

What are your thoughts on these issues?.

I would have preferred the Sharks or the Pirates, which naturally changes the logo, the colours are fine

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

Colours are OK - the teal is very traditional South Australian

But the overall jumper design (in whatever guise) is a stinker. I would have like d to have seen something a little more traditional, some way of keeping the old 'picket fence' stripe design would have been nice.

Logo is OK IMHO - If you are gonna call yourselves 'Power' then I guess the Lightening Bolt was the most obvious choice.

Nickname is terrible - my prefrence was for "The Black Diamonds" or something equally as evocative of the clubs traditions and the Port area in general.

Just my 2 cents - sorry if I have butted in.

cheers

I agree BSA - Black Dimonds would have been cool.

I really don't care though....jumpers and colours are a marketing tool nowadays....we should have the jumper colours and logo which do best in the 7 year old non-aligned primary school market. If that is the Power then so be it (and I tend to think that in that context the Power is better than the Crows).

ptw

Thankyou for your thoughts BSA, I also liked the name The Black Diamonds as well as The Pirates. I would of been happy with one of those choices, but somehow we ended up with The Power. Who is responsable for that desicion?.

Port Adelaide Power will be very appropriate when we are one. Unfortunately there are as many dumb "power failure" type puns when we lose as there are "power surge", etc headlines when we do well.

I would have liked the Pirates nickname, with the Jolly Roger logo - can you imagine how awesome it would be to have hundreds of skull and crossbones flags fying in the crowd!

I like our home guernsey best, particularly when those morons at the AFL/Channel whatever let them wear the black shorts and socks with them! Let the bloody visitors change their uniform when Port plays at home
mad.gif

Originally posted by Grave Danger:

I like our home guernsey best, particularly when those morons at the AFL/Channel whatever let them wear the black shorts and socks with them! Let the bloody visitors change their uniform when Port plays at home
mad.gif

I agree, thats another issue that upset me. Isn't it about time the AFL fixed this uniform problem. I think it about time teams had 1 or 2 away uniforms that don't clash with other teams.

Teams like Collingwood and Carlton who go on about the tradition of their uniform, who cares?. You would still get to wear you guernsey for at least 11 games a year, if not more and whats so special about the Collingwood guernsey anyway?. Its the same design worn by Hawthorn and the Kangaroo's.

So it about time Wayne Jackson get off his arse and got this problem fixed and the anwser is not home teams wearing white shorts or Collingwood & Carlton putting a single white hoop on their socks.

On the way to Entertainment centre back in 95 when they were going to announce the name, i was hoping they would be called the pirates. I actually sent in one of those member sheets were you had to draw the jumper, logo, song, etc....i actually had it as Port Adelaide Lightning, and my guernsey design was the exact replica of the Ansett Cup design, with the white thing in the middle and black and teal on the outside.
Whether they chose mine or not, i dont klnow (would be good tho hey!!)
I said in the car on the way there to my dad that i bet it will be port power and the logo will have a fist thru it. I was VERY happy with the guernseys, i love all of em (especially ansett cup
wink.gif
)
Power i thought would of been crappy, but it has grown on me, and if everyone at footy park was to yell it in unison POWER, POWER pOWER chant, then it is hell louder than pirates would ever be!!!

Its also funny you mention Tampa Bay...as the NHL team is hte Tampa Bay Lightning, and has a similar logo to what i thought of for Port lightning.

The whole competition, colours, logo etc was a sham...

the club had all these set in place some time prior to the public consultation.

wont go into the hows and wherefores.....

the Pirates...Black , White and Silver.... was front runner right up until marketing consultation with Nike, AFL and Collingwood...

Point of difference was not great enough..

Collingwood and Port engaged in a phony media campaign to appease Port supporters that we may not be B&W in the AFL...i.e. Collingwood say we are the only B&W..Port say oh well they were there first etc...

Even saw some mock ups of the Pirates AFL logo for Port in B&W and Silver

Raiders, Destroyers, Black Diamonds were considered.... so was Sharks

The conotation of Port being Pirates had greater ramifications in light of their AFL ambitions...It was too hot a name to use for Port at the time..

PA1870

As someone who is not a Port fan, I have to say I feel quite sorry for Port. I still don't understand why they had to change all this because Collingwood wanted them too. Can Man Utd stop anyone else wearing red? Why does it impinge on one's identity to have another team in the comp with the same colours?

That said, I feel that the colours are OK, but I think as a supporter I identify with a simpler jumper design. The name and logo are terrible, reek of that foul stench of Americanisation. Just another example of history being flushed down the toilet on a whim.

I think I like Freo's name, logo, guernsey and colours for a new team as something representative of the place.

Cheers,
Sbagman.

Originally posted by sbagman:
As someone who is not a Port fan, I have to say I feel quite sorry for Port. I still don't understand why they had to change all this because Collingwood wanted them too. Can Man Utd stop anyone else wearing red? Why does it impinge on one's identity to have another team in the comp with the same colours?

That said, I feel that the colours are OK, but I think as a supporter I identify with a simpler jumper design. The name and logo are terrible, reek of that foul stench of Americanisation. Just another example of history being flushed down the toilet on a whim.

I think I like Freo's name, logo, guernsey and colours for a new team as something representative of the place.

Cheers,
Sbagman.

Grave Danger....I think this chap is actually sincere in what he's saying...

Brian Cunningham was sent to USA several times in the lead up to our AFL inception
between 1993 and 1995... He liased with NFL NBL NHL and several sporting apparel manufacturers..

He came back with several important " Must Haves " when finalisinf Ports AFL identity. Nike had a great Part in determining out name . A graphic design Firm at Norwood designed the logo and were also a part of the naming schemozzle...The company also used a marketing/ graphic firm/ public image firm on Glen Osmond road.

the public competition to name Port and give colours logo etc...was a sham...
A number of leaks had occured prior to colours, etc...this comp was used to reinforce what had already been decided.

PA1870

PA1870 are you trying to tell us that the the competition they held to name the team and design the guernsey was just a public relations stunt from the club just to make our supporters feel important. When the real fact is they didn't care about our opions.

Your also basically saying Nike had the final say in the name. So what happens when this giant money hungry company pulls out their sponorship deal with Port, if we have a couple of bad seasons or merchandise sales are down. Does that mean we are stuck with this name and logo which to me is stupid. What is Power? What does it look like? What does it mean?.

To me power is a good term to descibe the way a team plays, but as a logo it will always be stupid. I rather be know as a power because of the way we play not because its our nickname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by carb70:
PA1870 are you trying to tell us that the the competition they held to name the team and design the guernsey was just a public relations stunt from the club just to make our supporters feel important. When the real fact is they didn't care about our opions.

Your also basically saying Nike had the final say in the name. So what happens when this giant money hungry company pulls out their sponorship deal with Port, if we have a couple of bad seasons or merchandise sales are down. Does that mean we are stuck with this name and logo which to me is stupid. What is Power? What does it look like? What does it mean?.

To me power is a good term to descibe the way a team plays, but as a logo it will always be stupid. I rather be know as a power because of the way we play not because its our nickname.

In a nutshell Carb.....In a Nutshell.........

PA1870

Remove this Banner Ad

Back