Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

The non-involvement in club functions doesn't go down well, I know that. I seem to recall him tipping in $150 or somesuch into the Poowong coffers as some sort of donation. Maybe he's just anti-social, or under the thumb.

As for the grounds. Phew, it ain't gonna be much fun on some of them this weekend. So much for the drought. I will be interested to see how Korumburra's ground goes. They keep telling me they did a lot of work on it over summer, but it didn't look too good to me, even when it was dry. It seems its use as a showgrounds causes it to suffer, thanks to the horses' hooves (not rhyming slang). One good thing is the installation of new floodlighting there. Should be good, except when the weather is like this. MDU is s**t at the best of times and Yarram can get really sloppy.

Plenty of other grounds around Victoria have horses on them over the summer, that couple explain a slightly rough surface but not a bog heap. Too many farmers tried to fix that ground and they have stuffed it up 3 times.

Wow he chipped in 150, what a great bloke even though he was on 1000 a game!!

Gun player though, kicked the best goal i have seen in a GF that he won at Nilma. Seems a good replacement for LJ, just hope he can step up when it matters in finals like Luke usually does.

Plenty of other grounds around Victoria have horses on them over the summer, that couple explain a slightly rough surface but not a bog heap. Too many farmers tried to fix that ground and they have stuffed it up 3 times.

Wow he chipped in 150, what a great bloke even though he was on 1000 a game!!

Gun player though, kicked the best goal i have seen in a GF that he won at Nilma. Seems a good replacement for LJ, just hope he can step up when it matters in finals like Luke usually does.
I think the problem at the Burra, and at other grounds I've seen locally, is that they tend to resurface with sand-based soil. Yep, this tends to absorb moisture, but it doesn't grow grass. They've done something similar at Bass, and at the Wonthaggi cricket ground (Butch West Oval), where it doesn't matter so much. Once you scuff the grass planted in sand it destroys it, for quite a while, especially over winter.

In regards to paid players, we are having exactly this conversation at my local cricket club atm. Either our club, for the first time in its history, starts to pay players, or we are consigned to being mercilessly flogged every week. This is the same situation faced by footy clubs thirty years ago. I'm not sure the example set by footy clubs is one worth pursuing, given the outcome of them doing this. A serious argument can be mounted that we would be better to fold, rather than going down that road. We simply don't have the capacity to raise the funds required. Nor do we have the suitably qualified and committed administrators to oversee such a scheme.

I too love watching Bergels play. He is worth the price of admission.

Don't talk to me about know-all farmers.

I think the problem at the Burra, and at other grounds I've seen locally, is that they tend to resurface with sand-based soil. Yep, this tends to absorb moisture, but it doesn't grow grass. They've done something similar at Bass, and at the Wonthaggi cricket ground (Butch West Oval), where it doesn't matter so much. Once you scuff the grass planted in sand it destroys it, for quite a while, especially over winter.

In regards to paid players, we are having exactly this conversation at my local cricket club atm. Either our club, for the first time in its history, starts to pay players, or we are consigned to being mercilessly flogged every week. This is the same situation faced by footy clubs thirty years ago. I'm not sure the example set by footy clubs is one worth pursuing, given the outcome of them doing this. A serious argument can be mounted that we would be better to fold, rather than going down that road. We simply don't have the capacity to raise the funds required. Nor do we have the suitably qualified and committed administrators to oversee such a scheme.

I too love watching Bergels play. He is worth the price of admission.

Don't talk to me about know-all farmers.

Sand based soil is fine if you plant the right type of grass. Doesnt matter what grass is on it if it turns to mud it means the drains dont work or the soil is wrong. The first year it drained too well they thought and we were in a drought so they filled up some drains then it rained. Idiots.

Not going on here say but I actually train and play with Burgles and there is not many blokes that I have seen train harder he just loves footy.Everyone at Bass love him and he is at every function it is a bit harder for him having big family but he makes a big effort to get to everything.Bass have a great culture and most players in the senior side are willing to put in for the benifit of the club.Probley they reason the are having success.

One of the problems with Korumburra's oval is that its cut into the side of a hill and acts like a water catchment rain falling on the ground is not a real problem its the ground water rising up coming from the hill same problem the Loch ground had. Don't know how they can solve it maybe a put major drainage on the East side of ground to cut the water off and redirect it around the ground.
Other option is got back to the top oval and move the soccer to the show grounds or play games at top oval until the show grounds get sorted.

The best move Bass did has been to let the Shire take over and look after the ground surface and not take the money like the others clubs. They have the resources to manage the ground that Bass could never provide just need to look at Wonthaggi's and Island's grounds another season or so Bass will have a ground as good now it has new drainage hopefully won't bog up over winter which helps with training etc rather than train elsewhere to save the ground for Saturdays.

Tips?

Daly 5 goals
Burra 4 goals
MDU 2 goals
Tarwin 8 goals
Killy bass 12 goals
Foster Yarram has been postponed

Not going on here say but I actually train and play with Burgles and there is not many blokes that I have seen train harder he just loves footy.Everyone at Bass love him and he is at every function it is a bit harder for him having big family but he makes a big effort to get to everything.Bass have a great culture and most players in the senior side are willing to put in for the benifit of the club.Probley they reason the are having success.

"Culture" is one of the new buzz words in footy, do you mind sharing with us what the culture at killy/bass is benchy. Does this also mean that Killy/Bass had a Crap "culture" for the 30 odd years they didnt win a flag and rarely made finals?
Having been involved with both successful and unsuccessful clubs I have found that training and social function attendance are always better when the team is a chance for a flag. Competition for spots and not wanting to give the coach a reason to drop you always lead to better training attendance and performance. I think Killy/Bass recent success can be more attributed to excellent recruiting. They have recruited to fill gaps that needed filling eg: James/Bergles as Key Forwards, Hendry as a ruckmen. This qaulity recruiting combined with a solid list of locals is clearly more of a reason for success than any percieved "great Culture"

I do agree Short Fuse that culture is better if your having success and winning.Bass culture the last 20 years proir to there success was terrible no one trained and no one cared.These days everyone wants to be around the boys.We have a winning culture and hate getting beat after we were flogged against Yarram at the start of the year the core group got together and re grouped the season could have either way if they had let that game just slide from there.3rds and reserves players want to play 1s and that doesn't happen in many clubs.Also our players all play for the ultimate goal no iderviduals no one thinks there better than anyone else and egos rarely get in the way.

I do agree Short Fuse that culture is better if your having success and winning.Bass culture the last 20 years proir to there success was terrible no one trained and no one cared.These days everyone wants to be around the boys.We have a winning culture and hate getting beat after we were flogged against Yarram at the start of the year the core group got together and re grouped the season could have either way if they had let that game just slide from there.3rds and reserves players want to play 1s and that doesn't happen in many clubs.Also our players all play for the ultimate goal no iderviduals no one thinks there better than anyone else and egos rarely get in the way.
I hear that Bass will be getting one more player before June 30.Very good player hasn't played this year but will fit in we'll.Know anything bench boy?

Yeah I no who you are talking about kenny Moore from what I have herd it's gunna happen.Massive pick up if we get him but not a done deal yet.

All done and dusted he told me last night.Looked fit,one of the best players I've seen play the game.Watched him eat cold spaghetti out of a can before a grand final something you don't see everyday before a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That bucket of cash at Bass just keeps getting bigger doesnt it. Or are you going to say this bloke is going there to play with his mates like the other crap you blokes speak?
2 flags back to back top 2 at the moment we talk to talk and walk the walk and its not a bucket lot of cash its a truck load and plenty more to come.

A lazy 26.15 win boys playing some good footy new recruite a gun B.A. best in the 2nd's back in the 1's soon 2 or 3 to come back in traveling nicely at the moment huge percentage

Well what a round for the haves and have-nots of the league. Four senior teams in the league kicking a combined total of 8 goals. Not great is it. I think the league are placing some friendly advice out there for Yarram and DWWWW to chat. Does this extend to Toora-Foster and Tarwin-Stony, or will there be a different format for clubs to compete in until they can save three years worth of revenue to compete with the current top flight??

Well what a round for the haves and have-nots of the league. Four senior teams in the league kicking a combined total of 8 goals. Not great is it. I think the league are placing some friendly advice out there for Yarram and DWWWW to chat. Does this extend to Toora-Foster and Tarwin-Stony, or will there be a different format for clubs to compete in until they can save three years worth of revenue to compete with the current top flight??

Its not that long ago Dalyston were getting pumped by 20 goals every week. Stony was a basketcase too for decades and they won a flag a few years back.

No doubt there are cycles and i hear you there Leo, but i did say club, not senior 18. I'm sure a few clubs could mortgage themselves to the hilt in an attempt to land a premiership but that would leave even less in the pot for their juniors, ground upkeep etc. Maybe it is just my opinion but i see the gap between available revenue to a club compared to expenditure (especially player payments) has widened

Looks like the 30k Korumburra forked out for Neagle beens value for money another waste of sponsor and supporter $ who knows what their forking out for the others the committee need to hold the the mirror up.
Will be looking foward to the big matches against Stoney,DWWWW & Tarwin to cement their position in the finals at least they won't loose the bye.
Believe the players have already booked thier trip away good to see Korumburra supporting tourism.

Looks like the 30k Korumburra forked out for Neagle beens value for money another waste of sponsor and supporter $ who knows what their forking out for the others the committee need to hold the the mirror up.
Will be looking foward to the big matches against Stoney,DWWWW & Tarwin to cement their position in the finals at least they won't loose the bye.
Believe the players have already booked thier trip away good to see Korumburra supporting tourism.

Puff puff pass old mate.

While I dont mind the Korumburra bashing I have a serious question. Did you complete year 12 at school??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back