Traded Alex Witherden (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

'The next Goddard' sinks teeth into Rising Star
Last week's NAB AFL Rising Star nominee, athletic Carlton forward Charlie Curnow, is supposedly the second coming of Anthony Koutoufides.

And now we have the next Brendon Goddard – Brisbane Lions defender and round 17 nominee Alex Witherden. The tag is not a new one for Witherden, who was christened with it while still a budding AFL footballer playing in Geelong.

"I've always said if I could be even half the player Brendon was then I'd be happy," Witherden told AFL.com.au.

"I was lucky enough to come up against (Essendon) a few weeks ago at Etihad and watch him go about his business. He's a fierce competitor and a very good footballer, so I'll keep looking at a few of the things he does well and try and implement them in my game."

The Goddard likeness goes beyond Witherden's composure and willingness to take the game on with his kicking, according to Geelong Falcons talent manager Michael Turner.

Turner said there were also similarities in their build and intensity, and that the former Geelong College captain had the characteristics to follow in Goddard's footsteps as an AFL skipper.

"It's not something you aspire to do, I don't think – it's just something that comes naturally," Witherden said about Turner's prediction.

"I think Dayne Beams is a prime example of that. I don’t reckon he set out to be a captain at any stage of his career. He just led by example and was highly respected within the playing group – and that's what got him across the line.

"I'd prefer to take that approach and just let my career unfold and see what happens."

Witherden’s star is on the rise
LIVING away from home only makes Victorian-bred Brisbane Lions stronger, according to Round 17 Rising Star Alex Witherden. The Geelong Falcons product is the third cub to earn a nomination this season after exciting forward Eric Hipwood (Round 5) and prized No.3 draft pick Hugh McCluggage (Round 14).

Only the Lions’ next opponent, Carlton, with five, has snared more Rising Stars nods. Leaving family in Geelong was not easy for Witherden, 18, but the prodigious right-footer knew a Falcons connection would hold him in good shape in the Sunshine State. “Falcons always look after each other,” Witherden told the Herald Sun. “There’s a few of us up here which also made it a lot easier to move up here.”

The Lions have meticulously plucked Victorians in bunches in recent years, including four former Falcons — 2014 Rising Star Lewis Taylor, Rhys Mathieson, Darcy Gardiner and Geelong premiership star Allen Christensen. Witherden, taken with pick No.23 in the draft, moved to Brisbane last year with fellow Victorians Jarrod Berry, Cedric Cox and McCluggage.

“We’re a pretty tight-knit group (the Victorians) and I think that’s one of the perks of everyone moving away from home,” he said. “You’ve got no choice other than to be close mates so I guess that holds us in good stead in the future. “Brisbane, other than the actual city, the outskirts don’t feel too dissimilar to Geelong the suburbs and that so it’s not too daunting, it’s been good.”

Witherden has played four games since making his debut in Round 14 against GWS Giants, averaging 24 disposals and five rebounds 50s. The ball magnet slipped in the draft after breaking his leg during the TAC Cup season.

“It was really challenging but probably character building more than anything,” Witherden said. “It helps with that resilience, I guess, that mental toughness to back up and come into training when things aren’t going your way.”

Witherden made the most of the time away from the game, adding about eight kilograms to build an AFL-ready body.“That’s helped me a lot in the transition to AFL football, compared to where I may have been had I not broken my leg.” Despite living in Geelong, the Lions No.29 grew up a North Melbourne supporter. “Boomer Harvey was my favourite player growing up so I wore 29 all through my Auskick days and when the number was available here I thought that’d be a beauty to get on the back.”
3ec9bf3c2b9d19ef2580b09e1a5cbcc6

Alex Witherden takes out Rising Star nomination
Alex Witherden from the Brisbane Lions Football Club is the Round 17 AFL Rising Star nominee.

The third AFL Rising Star for the Lions this season, Witherden had an outstanding performance against Richmond, collecting 28 disposals with a 68 percent disposal efficiency.

A prolific ball winner across half back, Witherden debuted against Greater Western Sydney in Round 14 of the 2017 AFL Premiership Season. In four senior games, Witherden has averaged 24.5 disposals with an average gain of 345.6 meters.

Playing state level Under-18 football with the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, Witherden became a top 25 draft prospect after a strong 2015 TAC Cup season averaging 18 possessions and seven contested possessions per match. Pick 23 in the 2016 AFL Draft, his season came to an end with a broken leg before returning in 2017 as an impressive midfielder in the Lions’ NEAFL side.

Witherden spent his junior football career with Barwon Heads in the Barwon AFL Competition.

Could Alex be nominated gain next year again as he will have played 10 games or fewer ? or can you only be nominated once ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Alex be nominated gain next year again as he will have played 10 games or fewer ? or can you only be nominated once ?

Hipwood was the same, in that he played exactly 10 games last year, which is the maximum to still be eligible for the following year. From memory there has been 3-4 lads over the years that have received 2 nominations.

I don't think anyone is taking bets on 2018 Rising Star yet but with Witherden's numbers -assuming they stay similar - and class, would have to put him in the frame. And early indications are that the 2017 draft class isn't choc full of class to compete against.

Hipwood was the same, in that he played exactly 10 games last year, which is the maximum to still be eligible for the following year. From memory there has been 3-4 lads over the years that have received 2 nominations.

I don't think anyone is taking bets on 2018 Rising Star yet but with Witherden's numbers -assuming they stay similar - and class, would have to put him in the frame. And early indications are that the 2017 draft class isn't choc full of class to compete against.
With any luck,a head to head race between Witho and our first pick.

From top to bottom and back: Alex Witherden
For Geelong Falcon and first round draft hopeful Alex Witherden, AFL has been his lifelong dream. Now, less than two weeks away from the National Draft, it’s almost a certainty that will become reality.

Witherden burst onto the scene in 2015 after a string of solid performances for the Falcons as an underage player and resonated with recruiters as a potential first round pick on Grand Final day where he was among the best afield.

Despite success in both basketball and cricket as a junior, the latter of which he played at first grade level while only in ninth grade, the running defender always had his biggest aspirations in the AFL.

“I remember being five years old running around the back yard thinking recruiters were watching me [back] then,” Witherden said. He loved the game so much that he even forged his age in order to go to Auskick a year early, because he simply wanted to play football. “I was sick of just being at home and not playing, so I went to Auskick a year early,” Witherden said. “Mum somehow did that, and she always talks and laughs about it with recruiters.”

He regularly played above his age group as a junior at Barwon Heads on Victoria’s Bellarine Peninsula, something that he credits has helped him develop as a footballer.

However Witherden’s journey to the AFL, like many, hasn’t been as smooth as he would have envisaged. After a double hip arthroscopy at the end of 2014, which forced him to give up cricket, Witherden was a regular at the physiotherapist, where he’s had around one hundred appointments since.

Yet Witherden’s biggest challenge was one that potentially could have derailed his hopes of being drafted and too his dream of playing football. On May 7 this year, Witherden broke his leg playing for Geelong College, his school team which he also captained.

“I put my hand on my leg and put a bit of pressure on the bone, I could feel them overlapping. At that point I knew I faced a long stint on the sidelines.”

Prior to the game, Witherden already had some concerns of his own; heading to the game not feeling too well. A doctor, whom Witherden consulted, was also concerned about the potential to develop fatigue down the track. He nearly didn’t play altogether. But not wanting to let his team down, he persevered.

Returning to a centre bounce after a lengthy rest up forward, Witherden picked up the ball from the stoppage and after firing away a handball, was tackled by Sandringham Dragons’ midfielder and fellow aspiring draftee Tim Taranto.

“My leg was in an awkward position and he [Taranto] came down on it with his full body weight,” Witherden said. “It was a pain I had never experienced before. I was in agony. “At that point, a lot of things were running through my head. But once I put my hand on my leg and put a bit of pressure on the bone, I could feel them overlapping. At that point I knew I faced a long stint on the sidelines.”

Breaking a leg is rarely a good thing, especially when you are one of the top teenagers in the country at your sport. After a consultation with the AFL Academies Development Manager, surgery was made a priority and arranged for the following day.

The injury meant Witherden would finish the most important year of any junior footballer having played just two games of TAC Cup football, averaging 23 disposals, five marks and 3.5 tackles per game. He was also forced to miss the Under 18 National Championships, the Under 18 All Stars match and was in serious doubt for the National Draft Combine, where he was one of 80 players to receive an invitation.

An out-pour of messages from friends and family – including Brenton Sanderson, the AFL Academy Head Coach – relieved some of the pain. On return home from the hospital, the reality of his broken leg finally hit home.

“It’s not until you get home; the support drops off and your feel a bit more isolated. That’s probably when it gets a little bit harder.”

Witherden hand-balls away under pressure from Tim Taranto

In a sense, Witherden’s broken leg had a silver lining. With the knowledge that despite not playing for the remainder of 2016, clubs and recruiters would still look at him in the draft, he was able to improve elsewhere.

After dropping down to 75kg after his injury, his weight improved to 80kg largely through adding size in his upper-body. His diet also carried a heftier emphasis in order to keep his body in a good standard.

“It has been an eye-opener for the professionalism required to make it at the next level. I always relied on going out and just getting a kick… but didn’t place a high enough emphasis on going to the gym,” Witherden said. He continued, “If you do go to the next level, you do have to work hard. For me, I was just preparing myself for that next step.”

Witherden credits his parents and family, his various coaches along the way and the staff at the Geelong Falcons for helping him get to where he is today. Though aside from these names, Witherden took inspiration through another draft hopeful, Jy Simpkin, who broke his leg in April. The pair grew up together, playing representative football in the same teams, and would even go water skiing in the summer.

“I got in touch with him after he broke his leg and when I broke mine, he was there for me. Having someone else who has a broken leg, for both of us, it helped us get through it.”

Witherden’s road to recovery since his broken leg in May has been arduous, but despite not playing, has certainly helped him on his road to the AFL.

The 2016 National Draft takes place on November 25 in Sydney. Witherden is currently projected to go 21st in the second edition of the Footy Prophet Phantom Draft, and is likely to fall toward the end of the first round or early in the second come draft night.

SuperCoach Scout – Is it too late for rising Witherden?
There’s been no shortage of content for journalists to deliberate, and as such, many of the lesser lights may have been left in the shadows. A testament to this notion is a young man by the name of Alex Witherden, who shone brightly for the Lions.

ALEX WITHERDEN
Price:
$263,800
Position: DEF/MID
Games: 4
Average: 87.5

He collected 28 disposals against the Tigers to earn himself the nod for the Round 17 Rising Star nomination. The Geelong Falcons product has been a revelation for the youthful Brisbane side, with his efficiency by foot and decision making slotting him in perfectly into senior football, so much so that Chris Fagan and his assistants have given him the kick-out duties. However, we may still be understating his elite talent. If it were not for a broken leg in his draft year it is almost certain that the 18-year-old would have found himself sniffing around the top-10 pick range, but the injury meant he slid to pick 23, where the Lions gleefully pounced. The media loves to pump up the efforts of early picks like Andrew McGrath, who himself has been excellent, but from what we’ve seen, Witherden has matched him, as possible even surpassed him.

His four-game average of 87.5 was given a nice boost by his 109-point game against Richmond and the youngster now sits at $263,800 with defensive and midfield eligibility. Many coaches were fortunate enough the snaffle the young gun when he was on the bubble and have enjoyed his $146.5k increase, but should those who missed out put a line through him? From what we’ve seen, the Lion cub appears locked in the best 22 and an average in the 80s appears to be quite achievable. What’s not to say he couldn’t be excellent bench cover across multiple lines? I do not believe it’s too late to jump on this rising gun at a very affordable price, at least give him a look!

Watching Fagans presser, Witherden amazes me. For an 18 year old kid to study opposition and zones + looking for weaknesses is phenomenal. When you see him kick out, it always looks to be with intent which is something you don't see all that much.

Boy oh boy did we nail the last two years of drafting.

Lions follow Blues on right path
Carlton have five, while the Lions this week received their third when Alex Witherden got the nod to join exciting forward Eric Hipwood (Round 5) and prized No.3 draft pick Hugh McCluggage (Round 14).

Witherden has produced a stunning start to his career – averaging 24 disposals in his four games to date. Brisbane, like most clubs, had him pencilled-in as a top-10 pick before he broke his leg early in his Under 18s season. Fagan was not the least bit surprised the No.24 draft pick had settled in so quickly.

“He’s hungry to be the best he can be, he is a real student of the game,’’ he said. “He really studies his opponents. “He’s beyond his years and in some ways he’s a very mature young man so it’s no surprise he’s come out and played so well.’’

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v Carlton
5. First goals all round
Three players kicking their first goals is an unusual footnote at any time. But three consecutive first goals? Bizarre. The celebrations kicked off when Cedric Cox snapped a miraculous goal from the boundary line in the second quarter, while being heavily bumped. Teammates swarmed him, only to have to repeat the backslapping when the highly impressive Alex Witherden coolly slotted a set-shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back