Traded Alex Witherden (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Witherden tells Fox Footy’s On The Mark he wanted to leave Brisbane (Sarah Olle)
Alex Witherden could not be more in love with the Lions.

His team is flying, with Brisbane poised to play finals for the first time in a decade. Plus the 20-year-old has the pleasure of playing alongside some of his best mates. Yet Witherden’s affection for the club didn’t develop overnight.

And as he’s revealed to Fox Footy’s On The Mark, he was doing everything in his power to try and return home to Victoria after he was drafted to the club at the end of 2016.

“It has just been amazing to see the transition from calling mum and dad or calling my manager to say, ‘What can I do to get out of Brisbane?’ in those early months,” Witherden said. “Or even just speaking to Fages (coach Chris Fagan) and telling him I’m just not happy here.

“Just to feel that transformation, it’s probably a credit to the footy club and everyone they’ve got employed — and the boys as well because they’re all really helpful and welcoming and they want everyone here to be happy and help the club be successful.”

Cameron Rayner and Alex Witherden. Photo: AAP Image/Darren England

Witherden, who lives with teammate Cam Rayner, signed a two-year contract extension in June, anchoring him to the Lions until at least the end of 2022. And as he remarked upon his re-signing, it’s the friendships he’s cultivated at the Lions that have completely reshaped his disposition towards the club.

“I just think each week, each day, I see 47 blokes come in with the same goal, and that’s to improve,” Witherden said. “I love my teammates and I’ve got some of my best mates here now. I would never want to leave them. “That was one of the main reasons I wanted to stay.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UNSUNG HEROES - ROUND 9
Brisbane: Alex Witherden

Returning to the senior line-up for his first game since Round 1, Alex Witherden played one of the best games of his career. The 21-year-old was prolific in the Lions’ defensive-50, collecting 25 disposals at 84 per cent efficiency, eight intercept possessions, seven rebound 50s and four marks. After struggling to earn selection since the season return and with the Lions sitting comfortably in equal-first, Witherden has given coach Chris Fagan plenty to think about after Friday night’s performance.

“ALEX WITHERDEN

After 44 of a possible 46 games across 2018-2019, the 22-year-old has managed just six this year. The arrival of Grant Birchall and Callum Ah Chee and emergence of Brandon Starcevich have forced Witherden out of Chris Fagan's best side and it has the Lions open to outside offers. The Victorian has two years to run on his contract.“

https://www.afl.com.au/news/515946

EAGLES GET THEIR MAN FROM BRISBANE - 2:25pm

Tom Morris reports...

Alex Witherden will play for West Coast in 2021.

The Eagles and Lions have come to an arrangement, which will be formally ticked off at 3pm Melbourne time.

Brisbane will receive a future third-round pick and Pick 58. West Coast gets Pick 86 along with the running defender.

The Lions will pay a portion of Witherden’s contract.

I would like to know if Alex instigated this move.....otherwise there surely is more to it if we wanted him out.

Was never a huge fan, but surprised he is the one to trade..

EAGLES GET THEIR MAN FROM BRISBANE - 2:25pm

Tom Morris reports...

Alex Witherden will play for West Coast in 2021.

The Eagles and Lions have come to an arrangement, which will be formally ticked off at 3pm Melbourne time.

Brisbane will receive a future third-round pick and Pick 58. West Coast gets Pick 86 along with the running defender.

The Lions will pay a portion of Witherden’s contract.

Well Atleast that one says a portion.
Rather than significant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back