Movie Alien: Romulus

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy was shown impaled along with a drowned Newt in the recovered EEV wreck at the start of 3.

But apparently now they are not abandoning 3 (or 4).

Okaaaay.

Alien: Resurrection showed clones being made of Ripley. If they can clone Ripley from whatever was left of her after the ending of Alien 3 then surely they can clone Hicks from whatever remained of him. I'm guessing the company at the time would have just put everything on ice, which theoretically means they could bring back anyone.

Alien: Resurrection showed clones being made of Ripley. If they can clone Ripley from whatever was left of her after the ending of Alien 3 then surely they can clone Hicks from whatever remained of him. I'm guessing the company at the time would have just put everything on ice, which theoretically means they could bring back anyone.

Clone him with acid scars?

Massive Alien Universe fan, but absolutely no interest in this, which just comes across as a fan film greenlit by a desperate studio. Leave the original films (and their characters) alone. It was a great trilogy with a fun spin-off. I am more enthused about Prometheus 2, and that says a lot. And that is without even getting into Blomkamp, who clearly peaked with District 9 and will never deliver on the goodwill and patience that film generated at the time.

Massive Alien Universe fan, but absolutely no interest in this, which just comes across as a fan film greenlit by a desperate studio. Leave the original films (and their characters) alone. It was a great trilogy with a fun spin-off. I am more enthused about Prometheus 2, and that says a lot. And that is without even getting into Blomkamp, who clearly peaked with District 9 and will never deliver on the goodwill and patience that film generated at the time.

This.

Only credible way forward for mind is too go back (or sideways) and explore the wider mythology and origins of the universe.

It's laughable that this guy seemingly got a new alien film greenlit based on a handful of fan boi concept art slides.

A Lindelof free Prometheus 2 is what I'm focusing on.

Clone him with acid scars?

Maybe he gets them later or maybe they screwed up the cloning process. They made a heap of botched clones of Ripley in A:R. Or perhaps he got the acid scars when he was killed and they're now part of his DNA... or something. It's a sci-fi movie; they only need the flimsiest of excuses to do something.

Maybe he gets them later or maybe they screwed up the cloning process. They made a heap of botched clones of Ripley in A:R. Or perhaps he got the acid scars when he was killed and they're now part of his DNA... or something. It's a sci-fi movie; they only need the flimsiest of excuses to do something.

Yeah and that's crud sci fi. I like stuff that's believable and based in hard science....not a scramble to find a reason to bring back hicks.

Yeah and that's crud sci fi. I like stuff that's believable and based in hard science....not a scramble to find a reason to bring back hicks.
It's sci/fi brother, anything can happen.

The thing that irks me about realists' is that they'll walk into cinemas and pick movies apart for these same type of reasons, yet applaud STAR WARS or Galaxy Quest for being "original" or ground breaking...

I'm not sure but I bet you hate AVATAR also for being the cartoon version of 'Dances With Wolves'...

Don't be that guy...

The thing that irks me about realists' is that they'll walk into cinemas and pick movies apart for these same type of reasons, yet applaud STAR WARS or Galaxy Quest for being "original" or ground breaking...

I'm not sure but I bet you hate AVATAR also for being the cartoon version of 'Dances With Wolves'...

Don't be that guy...

Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy etc is what you would class as 'stylised comic book fantasy sci fi'....it's meant to be over the top, so no problem with that.

The original Alien and Aliens were both designed to be grounded in reality - 'truckers in space' and 'vietnam in space' respectively.

Bringing back Hicks might appeal to fan bois, but it's cynical, plain and simple.

So yeah I will go there.

Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy etc is what you would class as 'stylised comic book fantasy sci fi'....it's meant to be over the top, so no problem with that.

The original Alien and Aliens were both designed to be grounded in reality - 'truckers in space' and 'vietnam in space' respectively.

Bringing back Hicks might appeal to fan bois, but it's cynical, plain and simple.

So yeah I will go there.
I agree the Hicks thing sounds a little off but if you wanna hurt yourself worrying about what can happen in science fiction then by all means, get there...

FWIW I loved 'John Carter'... Edgar maybe rolling in his grave but I liked it...

Dont get the negativity & think people who watched the original cinema releases of these movies may have short memories - On release I loved one, 2 got a pass but didn't like the military angle, walked out of 3 very disappointed, among it's many issues killing off Hicks & Newt was just cruel, 4 was actually enjoyable & more a comedy at times but we were all so stoned we could have been watching anything.

2, 3 & 4 have all been improved with the release of directors cuts etc, & I have happily watched all 3 many times & grown to like them all equally. But if someone with obvious talent in this genre wants to reboot &, with the blessing of the franchise star, address some of the issues many fans have had with the sequels & take it in a different direction or get it back to it's horror roots (1 was a horror story after all & genuinely scary, can the same be said for 2,3,4?), they get my blessing & I say bring it on.

2, 3 & 4 have all been improved with the release of directors cuts etc,

Resurrection isn't improved by the 'director's cut' (which the director himself says isn't his final cut only an alternate bit of fun, like Ridley Scott did with the original in 2003). The opening and ending sequences are worse in the 'director's cut'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Only credible way forward for mind is too go back (or sideways) and explore the wider mythology and origins of the universe.

Wasn't that the idea in Prometheus? If they can't get it right with the guy who made the original ****ing movie I don't hold out much hope for this. Think those movies were time and place, bottled lighting sorta deals. They're classics for a reason, just can't recapture it

2, 3 & 4 have all been improved with the release of directors cuts etc, & I have happily watched all 3 many times & grown to like them all equally.

3338768-tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-003017.jpeg

Surely you jest, 2 is and always was head and shoulders (and torso and legs and feet) above 3 and 4

Wasn't that the idea in Prometheus? If they can't get it right with the guy who made the original ****ing movie I don't hold out much hope for this. Think those movies were time and place, bottled lighting sorta deals. They're classics for a reason, just can't recapture it

3338768-tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-003017.jpeg

Surely you jest, 2 is and always was head and shoulders (and torso and legs and feet) above 3 and 4

Yes it was. Prometheus wasn't perfect by any stretch, but if it was a failure, then it was in it's execution, not in it's principle.

Definitely the only way you can credibly continue these movies at this point.

Dont get the negativity & think people who watched the original cinema releases of these movies may have short memories - On release I loved one, 2 got a pass but didn't like the military angle, walked out of 3 very disappointed, among it's many issues killing off Hicks & Newt was just cruel, 4 was actually enjoyable & more a comedy at times but we were all so stoned we could have been watching anything.

2, 3 & 4 have all been improved with the release of directors cuts etc, & I have happily watched all 3 many times & grown to like them all equally. But if someone with obvious talent in this genre wants to reboot &, with the blessing of the franchise star, address some of the issues many fans have had with the sequels & take it in a different direction or get it back to it's horror roots (1 was a horror story after all & genuinely scary, can the same be said for 2,3,4?), they get my blessing & I say bring it on.

I think the horror element was there in Aliens and Alien 3 but not in A:R - except perhaps a bit towards the end with Ripley's "offspring". I recall being s**t scared watching Aliens when I was a kid. I think some of the horror element is imparted by the reactions from characters to this deadly creature they've never seen before, and A:R didn't seem to have that. I hope they go back down that route and have regular civilians or kids who have NFI what's going on and show appropriate fear. Even AvP: Requiem had some elements of horror, albeit not done very well.

Disagree for the most part with 2 being improved by the DC, especially if it was someone watching for the first time.

yeah, I'm not saying I think one of 2/3/4 is better than the rest, as I said I've grown to like them all equally & enjoy the series as a whole despite 1 clearly being in another league.

Last edited:
Disagree for the most part with 2 being improved by the DC, especially if it was someone watching for the first time.

Agree about 2 (Aliens) not being improved by the extra 17 or whatever minutes for the first time viewer. Just drags a bit at the front end, when the film works best once the marines hit the colony itself, from which point on it's then balls out action for next two hours...which is the whole strength of Aliens in the first place....white knuckle thrill ride. For the repeat viewer, the extra 17 minutes then pays off as you are more invested in the characters and the story - particularly the stuff set on Hadleys Hope pre alien infestation, Newt and her family etc.

Don't be that guy...
Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie prior to the latest.

Also whilst the sentry guns are very cool they make the aliens act like stupid lemmings in those scenes.

Yeah could of been left out, although somewhat ironically I get the argument I've sometimes seen floated about it showing the aliens 'intelligence' and 'hive mentality' etc by showing them 'testing' for weak spots, retreating when ammo counters dropped etc.

Would of just left all that stuff on as deleted scenes on disc 2 myself.

The pre infestation Hadleys hope stuff definitely the highlight.

In fact memo to Blomkamp, or any one else whose seen you can now get an $250 million dollar alien movie green lit on the back of online buzz from some concept art....why not make THAT movie?

IE - What happened between the point Newts folks found the derelict and contact being lost with the colony? Given the environment, the lack of weapons, the average worker type population who have no idea WTF has just hit them....potential to be original 1979 Alien on steroids if done correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back