Movie Alien: Romulus

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree and I would not have had Shaw killed off, at least not in the manner that they went with.
Yes killing off Shaw I felt was the wrong move, I mean lets be honest here, she was killed from the get go the minute they had the character of Daniels for the sequel. Shaw was never going to play an integral part of the future storyline of Prometheus.

I liked actually how they killed off Daniel's love interest/partner in the opening scenes of Covenant and was interested to see what would exactly happen with her character. The storyline you actually teased out, is a little bit of what happened between the "good" David and Daniels, instead of "bad" David and Shaw.

Unfortunately a third part of this story is never going to transpire for a variety of reasons, so if they start with a new story at least lets hope its not only enjoyable but well received in order to encourage future moves to be made.

The Alien TV series is definitely happening as well. Which Im looking forward to. If done well could be a brilliant 8 to 10 episode season with no bs filler episodes.

I would say the majority of people under 30 wouldnt have seen movies like Alien, Termintator etc.
Only seen Alien/s this year (both fantastic). Haven't seen the Terminator/T2.

Wowee.

Never seen T1 or T2, youre in for a treat if you enjoyed Alien.

Let us know when you have, would love to hear your thoughts on the movie. In the mean time, tell us about Alien and its sequel, what you liked, didnt like, did it feel as if it is an "old movie".

Last edited:

I assume you likely watched the extended edition of Aliens? I haven't seen the theatrical since I was a kid and whilst the extended is probably better, watching that first up would I'd assume ruin some of the surprise and suspense of the film.

I assume you likely watched the extended edition of Aliens? I haven't seen the theatrical since I was a kid and whilst the extended is probably better, watching that first up would I'd assume ruin some of the surprise and suspense of the film.
With movies I like, I always now "get" the extended version (directors cut) when looking for it, I mean if it extends the experience you enjoy, why not?

Yes killing off Shaw I felt was the wrong move, I mean lets be honest here, she was killed from the get go the minute they had the character of Daniels for the sequel. Shaw was never going to play an integral part of the future storyline of Prometheus.

I liked actually how they killed off Daniel's love interest/partner in the opening scenes of Covenant and was interested to see what would exactly happen with her character. The storyline you actually teased out, is a little bit of what happened between the "good" David and Daniels, instead of "bad" David and Shaw.

Unfortunately a third part of this story is never going to transpire for a variety of reasons, so if they start with a new story at least lets hope its not only enjoyable but well received in order to encourage future moves to be made.

The Alien TV series is definitely happening as well. Which Im looking forward to. If done well could be a brilliant 8 to 10 episode season with no bs filler episodes.

Not sure about a tv series. How do you keep that kind of intenisty for multiple episodes? Or will it be more action orientated like the sequel?

Not sure about a tv series. How do you keep that kind of intenisty for multiple episodes? Or will it be more action orientated like the sequel?
They might use the The Walking Dead template, where the backdrop are Aliens, but the story is about the people.

Wowee.

Never seen T1 or T2, youre in for a treat if you enjoyed Alien.

Let us know when you have, would love to hear your thoughts on the movie. In the mean time, tell us about Alien and its sequel, what you liked, didnt like, did it feel as if it is an "old movie".
These were my reviews at the time of watching -
Alien (1979, Disney+) - Great worldbuilding and development of tension immediately hooked me. Cool protagonist. Main negative was the difference between dialogue (soft) and special effects (loud). Being a classic film I already knew the classic scene and ending unfortunately. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10.
Aliens (1986, Disney+) - Ripley goes back with an armed guard to the planet where the first alien was found. A fun though naturally dated action romp ensues. I re-realised the appeal of sequels watching this, since I've generally avoided film franchises. It's bloody fun to come back to an interesting world with characters you cheer on. I will be watching all the Alien sequels (except maybe Alien vs Predator I heard that is trash). 8.5/10.

They're classics for a reason and hold up bloody well. I particularly enjoyed the different genre of both films (horror vs action).
Note - I was dissuaded from watching the sequels haha. It's a shame because I like this noir-ish space world that isn't the normal sci-fi style (usually more glitzy with lots of clean white walls and people). This should be a bigger franchise than it is.
I watched the 137mins edition on Disney+ which I think is the original version? When I rewatch Aliens I'll definitely check out the extended edition thanks for the heads up.

Alien (1979, Disney+) - Great worldbuilding and development of tension immediately hooked me. Cool protagonist. Main negative was the difference between dialogue (soft) and special effects (loud). Being a classic film I already knew the classic scene and ending unfortunately. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10.
Aliens (1986, Disney+) - Ripley goes back with an armed guard to the planet where the first alien was found. A fun though naturally dated action romp ensues. I re-realised the appeal of sequels watching this, since I've generally avoided film franchises. It's bloody fun to come back to an interesting world with characters you cheer on. I will be watching all the Alien sequels (except maybe Alien vs Predator I heard that is trash). 8.5/10.

They're classics for a reason and hold up bloody well. I particularly enjoyed the different genre of both films (horror vs action).
Note - I was dissuaded from watching the sequels haha. It's a shame because I like this noir-ish space world that isn't the normal sci-fi style (usually more glitzy with lots of clean white walls and people). This should be a bigger franchise than it is.

I watched the 137mins edition on Disney+ which I think is the original version? When I rewatch Aliens I'll definitely check out the extended edition thanks for the heads up.

I'm can't think of any 70's movie that holds up as well as Alien.

Alien for me is still terrifying, late on a winters night is the correct setting to watch this again lol, in the TV room with surround sound to the max, you experience Ripley's anxiety and fear.

I loved Aliens as well, complete contrast, I like how the writers and producer made out as if Bishop had screwed Ripley at the end. The army crew were great, so stereotypical and cliched, but well cast.

I'm can't think of any 70's movie that holds up as well as Alien.
And while released in 79, movies in those days took about 2 years to make. Likely 77 production start date.

EDIT

Alien was filmed over 14 weeks from July 5 to October 21, 1978

With movies I like, I always now "get" the extended version (directors cut) when looking for it, I mean if it extends the experience you enjoy, why not?
Yes and no, more is often but not always better. It's a comedy but the uncut version of Dumb and Dumber actually ruins parts of the movie. T2 I like the extended overall but it imo also adds in some junk that was initially left on the cutting room floor for good reason. I haven't seen the original Alien for a very long time now either, it actually seems to be now often hard to find the original cuts of movies.
That would be the longer one, iirc main changes are that it puts in all the scenes showing colony life before the attacks and Newt's family starting the infection, the aliens going through the tunnels attacking the sentry guns and Ripley being told about her daughter. These are good parts but giving the viewer this info substantially changes the movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no, more is often but not always better. It's a comedy but the uncut version of Dumb and Dumber actually ruins parts of the movie. T2 I like the extended overall but it imo also adds in some junk that was initially left on the cutting room floor for good reason. I haven't seen the original Alien for a very long time now either, it actually seems to be now often hard to find the original cuts of movies.

That would be the longer one, iirc main changes are that it puts in all the scenes showing colony life before the attacks and Newt's family starting the infection, the aliens going through the tunnels attacking the sentry guns and Ripley being told about her daughter. These are good parts but giving the viewer this info substantially changes the movie.
Well the caveat is to action movies for me, not comedy in particular, as timing and execution is critical.

Ripley being told about her daughter, changes the entire movie, in terms of explaining why she cared so much for that young girl.

The inspiration for that infamous scene was inspired by one of the writer's experiences with Crohn's Disease.

I have it too, so I can definitely feel that one.
Im sorry to hear that, definitely is rated as one of the all time terrifying horror moments ever. IIRC, the other actors did not know, so their response was genuine.

I did like what they did in Alien Covenant. That was pretty terrifying as well.

1090185c650a6ea6db0b3c793c3cef1c.gif

Well the caveat is to action movies for me, not comedy in particular, as timing and execution is critical.

Ripley being told about her daughter, changes the entire movie, in terms of explaining why she cared so much for that young girl.
I'm a bit conflicted on the sentry guns scene, it is kind of cool and adds tension but it makes the aliens seem stupid by attacking like that which is at total odds with their character.

I'm a bit conflicted on the sentry guns scene, it is kind of cool and adds tension but it makes the aliens seem stupid by attacking like that which is at total odds with their character.
But it did show survival adaptation of the creature.

I liked seeing the ammo run down all the way to zero. You could feel their grief amongst the army crew.

KeyLameEasternglasslizard-max-1mb.gif

Im sorry to hear that, definitely is rated as one of the all time terrifying horror moments ever. IIRC, the other actors did not know, so their response was genuine.

I did like what they did in Alien Covenant. That was pretty terrifying as well.

1090185c650a6ea6db0b3c793c3cef1c.gif

I've gotten on top of it with the right meds, so all good for the time being!

Yeah that scene was intense. The music used really captured it too

I've gotten on top of it with the right meds, so all good for the time being!

Yeah that scene was intense. The music used really captured it too
Its good to hear that your treatment is working for you.

In regards to Alien Covenant, Im not saying the movie is great or a masterpiece, but I did like it for the Alien aspect of it, that moment when they try to take off from that planet with the Alien on the smaller aircraft, is pretty entertaining and the movie does go up a gear.

My father introduced me to the Alien series in 1999 when I was 10 and they became my childhood franchise obsession.

My history with different editions of Aliens (and therefore cuts)
1999: weekly rental (theatrical)
1999: weekly rental (theatrical)
1999: rental near my auntie's place in Sydney (director's cut)
2000: weekly rental (theatrical)
2000: taped off television (theatrical)
2001: Alien Omnibus novelisation by Alan Dean Foster (director's cut)
2002: Alien Legacy dvd set (director's cut)
2004: Alien Quadrilogy single edition (director's cut)
2011: Alien Anthology blu set (director's cut)
2013: Saw a T1-Aliens double-header at the cinema (theatrical cut)

I could live without the Alien Rez director's cut, but the earlier trilogy I'm not too bothered which one I watch, they all have their appeal. Probably depends what you grew up with, but also how across the story you are for you to be happy to just leave some extra scenes between the lines. DCs are great for fans, but theatricals sometimes play a bit better. Aliens was a very good DC though, hard to imagine it without some of those scenes now. I can understand why a lot of it was excised, kind of smooths it over as more of an otherworldly sci-fi adventure which doesn't get too particular or dating or safe. Some of the scenes like the sentry guns, insect queen comparison, showing Hadley's Hope before it went pearshaped, etc. have a way of demystifying (and making less scary) the monster and location. They probably also weren't expecting Sigourney to get Oscar nominated. You see a bit more of that process in the Alien Anthology deleted scenes, excising the even more extraneous stuff that isn't required and takes you out of this future world.

That scene late in Alien where she comes across Brett & Dallas is a classic example of a great scene in isolation that I don't want to miss, but in terms of pacing and how desperately busy Ripley is at that point it's probably best left out as it feels an implausible pause in the moment. I've read the Alan Dean Foster several times over the years, and seen the Alien franchise cuts many times each, so I tend to just chop and change around or opt for the smoothest paced experience which looks nice and gives you enough information to fill in the rest yourself. For instance, I prefer the original cut of Apocalypse Now to Redux, as despite the additional stuff being great in their own right I just don't feel they are needed and can actually detract from the flow potency of the film.

Last edited:
Its good to hear that your treatment is working for you.

In regards to Alien Covenant, Im not saying the movie is great or a masterpiece, but I did like it for the Alien aspect of it, that moment when they try to take off from that planet with the Alien on the smaller aircraft, is pretty entertaining and the movie does go up a gear.

Overall not a great movie imo, would have it on the level of A3. Liked Prometheus, Resurrection was just weird but essentially a comedy version of the second film...somewhat of a guilty pleasure. Yet it has the most disturbing scene in the entire franchise imo. Just cannot watch that clone lab scene. :sick:

Overall not a great movie imo, would have it on the level of A3. Liked Prometheus, Resurrection was just weird but essentially a comedy version of the second film...somewhat of a guilty pleasure. Yet it has the most disturbing scene in the entire franchise imo. Just cannot watch that clone lab scene. :sick:
Alien Resurrection is when they jumped the shark.

Prometheus will always hold a special place for me, but for a variety of reasons. Huge year for box office movies, TDKR came out that year too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back