Multiplat Aliens: Dark Descent (20 June 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen much hype about this, but it's a single-player Real Time Tactics game set 20 years after Alien 3, releasing very soon on Windows, PS4, PS5, XBOne, Series X & S by Focus Entertainment.

There's also a strategic element in that actions taken in one area affect later missions in the same vicinity (e.g. if you weld a door shut to cut off a xenomorph, then that door is inaccessible when you return later on). Characters also have permadeath, so need to be careful with their management.

Top-down games aren't really my thing, so can't see myself really trying this unless there isn't anything else to play and it reviews really well.

I think the lack of hype that you mentioned is people just want another Alien Isolation type game and are disappointed when they see otherwise. It was easily the best Alien content since the second film. Fireteam Elite was OK but there was absolutely no tension or threat when you are just mowing down hoards of xenos. That is critical to an Alien experience imo and can really only be felt through one genre.

Might give this a go if it's cheap or comes to GamePass. I liked XCOM 2 and this seems like that but with an Alien skin.

However, most importantly:

1. Where is an Alien Isolation sequel?
2. Give me an Alien Isolation sequel.

I'll take a PS5 version of AI at this point.

Anyone playing it now?

Have got it, but won't get a chance until the weekend.

Reviews have been solid (mostly 7s, the odd 8 and a couple of 6s). Seems to be a lengthy campaign with a deep management system. The negatives are a few glitches which are hopefully patchable.

Anyone playing it now?

About 5 hrs in. Liking it so far. Cut scenes are great and tone/atomsphere is really spot on. Plus just can't go guns blazing have to stealth and strategist otherwise you can get over run quite easily or run out of ammo. Plus team members can get perma death which is nice.

About half way through.

It’s a very unique game that takes a while to get the flow of.

Absolutely nails the Aliens vibe with great sound effects. The fact that you are discouraged from getting into too many shootouts really adds to the tension. Watching the blips on the radar and praying they stay away from you recreates the theme from the movie.

You control the squad as a whole and it does everything as one, from gun fights, looting, or interacting with the environment.

I play it almost as a real time with pause as you can configure the game to pause as you please adding to the strategic layer.

Very decent length. If you like Aliens definitely check it out.

About half way through.

It’s a very unique game that takes a while to get the flow of.

Absolutely nails the Aliens vibe with great sound effects. The fact that you are discouraged from getting into too many shootouts really adds to the tension. Watching the blips on the radar and praying they stay away from you recreates the theme from the movie.

You control the squad as a whole and it does everything as one, from gun fights, looting, or interacting with the environment.

I play it almost as a real time with pause as you can configure the game to pause as you please adding to the strategic layer.

Very decent length. If you like Aliens definitely check it out.

Gets abit easier once you get recon trooper with sniper rifle with silencer ability let’s you take out aliens without alerting the other aliens.

But you’re so right they got the tone of the game spot on once you get use to it is a really fun game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back