All Elite Wrestling (On Triller TV and ESPN)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok folks. This thread has seen some heated and divisive chat that is taking discussion away from the week to week product. Going forward any WWE vs AEW related discussion should take place here. Examples of this are obviously the CM Punk, Ospreay and Triple H type stuff.

While constructive critisism is fine, repetitive opionions that have no intention of producing good faith discussion will be deleted. Repeat offenders will end up with thread bans. You're all clever enough to know the difference.

Also, those with any issues with posts, don't engage and further flame the unnecessary back and forth. Please use the report button.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good tag title main event on Rampage. Also lol at Caster saying to Mox "Hey the network called, they said watch your mouth".

Looks like they are gonna be doing Andrade vs Darby and/or Sting down the track.

Next Dynamite looking forward to Punk vs MJF, and The House of Black vs Death Triangle. Also next week on Rampage, FTW Title Ricky Starks vs Jay Lethal.

I get the feeling there ain't going to be a MJF/Punk match next week. Somehow MJF weasels himself out of it.

Seems too big to be on just some random episode of Dynamite. If it was a special like Winder is Coming then that's a different story.

I get the feeling there ain't going to be a MJF/Punk match next week. Somehow MJF weasels himself out of it.

Seems too big to be on just some random episode of Dynamite. If it was a special like Winder is Coming then that's a different story.
Wardlow can legally change his to “MJF” for 1 week. ;) Won’t break the online curse applied by Danhausen though

They do a great job of building anticipation for their Dynamite and Rampage episodes. You don’t get episodes full of random/random vs random/random in between PPV’s. It can only be good for the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

care to each give your star rating to the match for comparisons sake?

It was a good match but felt like they were going stunt for stunt and lacked storytelling/drama. I'd have given it a 3.5. the stunts were awesome, but the match lacked drama.

If you put it in context, Meltzer has awarded 7 stars out of 5 before 🤣

I just think both men could have given us a compelling story with half the amount of bumps over what we ended up getting.

Brought me back to this match which was story driven and had great spots. No 5 star rating though ;)

Cody and Sammy got 5 stars from everyone’s favourite person❤️

Is the match really better than every match in TNA/Impact wrestling bar one? (Daniels/Joe/Styles from Unbreakable)

care to each give your star rating to the match for comparisons sake?

I don’t subscribe to star ratings either because no match is equal. Some are designed to enhance a story. Some are designed to finish a feud. Others are just spot fests. You either like it or you don’t like.

I liked the match. Ladder matches sometimes stretch the limit of believability with the crazy spots, but they are fun to watch too. Do I think it was better than HBK vs Taker like Dave seems to think so? Hell no.

It amazes me the amount of attention Meltzers ratings get. It’s just one man’s opinion. One man who has an unbelievable amount of bias towards a particular type of wrestling and a particular company. His stars mean nothing more to me than anyone else’s opinion in this forum.

It amazes me the amount of attention Meltzers ratings get. It’s just one man’s opinion. One man who has an unbelievable amount of bias towards a particular type of wrestling and a particular company. His stars mean nothing more to me than anyone else’s opinion in this forum.
True, but it definitely creates conversation.

No doubt. But its laughable if someone were to think that his ‘stars’ were validation of a better match or product over another.
I’m happy to bow to his experience and there’s no doubt he knows what he’s talking about. I used to buy the Wrestling Observer Newsletter back in the 80’s/ 90’s and he was the the first guy reporting from a non kayfabe angle. I generally agree with his ratings but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I’m happy to bow to his experience and there’s no doubt he knows what he’s talking about. I used to buy the Wrestling Observer Newsletter back in the 80’s/ 90’s and he was the the first guy reporting from a non kayfabe angle. I generally agree with his ratings but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Can't really deny his knowledge of the business and its history. He's a walking wrestling encyclopedia.

But while he has a lot of wrestling content to inform his opinions on match quality, he like everyone else has his own preferences and biases towards what make a good match, which are not in any way objective indicators for what constitutes good. They're his opinion, and he's entitled to it. The problem is that many will view them as some sort of objective measure of a match quality, like a statistic, rather than just one, albeit well-informed, review of it.

You also can't suggest that they're consistent. The guy went through a period where he was seemingly far more critical. Very very few matches would get 5*. Then Omega, the Bucks and some Japanese dudes come along and suddenly we don't just have a plethora of 5* matches everywhere; we also have 6, 7, 8 star matches. There's no way you can tell me that a guy like Bryan Danielson can get 5 star matches now but all of the similar high workrate stuff he was doing in the 2000s, a time when he was considered one of, if not the, greatest wrestler in the world, was never worth more than a 4.75. He just could not do enough for that elusive .25 of a star. But the Bucks and Adam Cole serve up cluster* slop and it's an automatic fiver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back