Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking around an hour to cross the border for work during school holidays. Tipping it will be up to 2 hours during school traffic

Last edited:
Taking around an hour to Criss the border for work during school holidays. Tipping it will be up to 2 hours during school traffic
Geez that's ordinary. My wife went straight across heading into Vic, and waited a minute for one car on the way back.

I did hear stories of incorrect paperwork which should improve quickly. They should start to recognize the same tradies etc. which will also help.

Albury looks like it might be sent to Victoria as punishment for its 2 cases in 2 months. Fun times.

Local soccer club has withdrawn from competition for this season as players and/or parents would be required to go into 14 days quarantine after every away match. Team is based in Moama so training has also been cancelled.

So if there were 134 cases today and 191 yesterday, does this mean it isn't increasing exponentially yet?

Or is it increasing inversely exponentially?

Or was is it exponential only for that one day? Even though it wasnt really exponential...

I am so confused.
Go back to year 9 maths, learn about algebra, then calculus and then you should have some better idea about these things and not be so confused.
tss tss to every teenage kid in school that said they never needed to learn their maths ....

Local paper asked people to respond with the length of time taken to get over the bridge yesterday. Looks like anywhere up to 2 1/2 hours to go through the checkpoint for a trip that normally takes under 10 minutes. People were abandoning their cars in Echuca and walking home to Moama.

All were full of praise for the police doing their job on the Moama side, absolute carnage at the Echuca roundabout that leads onto the bridge.

So glad I don’t have to make that trip, concerned about schools reopening next week.

If that is official policy, it is being followed as well as the COVID-19 policies
What do you mean?, everyone is following social distancing perfectly!!!!, we have only had to sell our house to reduce costs, take 25% and 50 % pay cuts respectively, close our local church despite no cases, not attend the funeral of a 40 year family friend, postpone our wedding and cancel 70th and 40th family birthday celebrations. we are all doing the right thing....... right ??? ..... all good the footy goes on no matter what!!!!!

What do you mean?, everyone is following social distancing perfectly!!!!, we have only had to sell our house to reduce costs, take 25% and 50 % pay cuts respectively, close our local church despite no cases, not attend the funeral of a 40 year family friend, postpone our wedding and cancel 70th and 40th family birthday celebrations. we are all doing the right thing....... right ??? ..... all good the footy goes on no matter what!!!!!
Geez!
That is a lot.

Churches known to be a source of spread though because of singing and vocalising...airborne...

A lot of bogans throwing out, toughen up princess, and complaining that they would do anything to play footy and other people work away from family, so toughen up, I hate that I get sucked in to reading that crap but it seems it’s the general view.

Mostly

What's the point of reading bogans' thoughts, as you say? :)

People do work away from family and if it was as simple as that, that's one thing.
The situation here is that you're largely left alone without the ability to take your young family to friends, or the ability to have family come over for support etc.

This is different. It's not just about being away from family and everything else rolls on, as it would have without this virus. It's just not the same.

It’s all about people’s priorities and sense of entitlement, that is why we are in lockdown again. Pity the sense of self is far, far more important than sense of community for some.

Seems like the ones suffering the most are the ones doing what is needed to keep everyone else safe. Stay safe mate, it is a journey to getting married, not a race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The selfish pricks making the mad dash to their holiday homes on the Peninsula can get absolutely f’ed.
Population of the peninsula swells by 2 mill every summer. Used to work for a servo out the back of Mornington, as I'm from down there. In the middle of summer, had people driving up to me from Rye just to get bread and milk.

Lots of arseholes. The peninsula's not good for entitlement at the best of times.

Dan made it clear this was not on. He said PRINCIPLE place of residence and not to go to holiday homes.
Just go fine the lot of them.
Trouble is, who has time to do that on top of their existing duties?

Dan made it clear this was not on. He said PRINCIPLE place of residence and not to go to holiday homes.
Just go fine the lot of them.
He also said if you are on holidays you can complete your holiday and gave people notice to get out and the selfish have taken that opportunity, B&B's and alike are booked out here, been an influx of inquiries for short term rentals in my region

So if there were 134 cases today and 191 yesterday, does this mean it isn't increasing exponentially yet?

Or is it increasing inversely exponentially?

Or was is it exponential only for that one day? Even though it wasnt really exponential...

I am so confused.

As soon as cases start falling it is obviously not growing faster it is slowing down. But too early to tell as this is too small a sample size IMO

Eccxq4JU0AAaZvz

Wouldn’t be the worst idea to make this a permanent thing, might stop parents sending obviously sick kids to school to spread their germs around.

Your kids are not an inconvenience, if they are sick it is your responsibility to look after them.

Yes, you're right of course but if my recollection serves me well, we only had one individual listed as serious last week, so whichever way, at least one individual succumbed somewhat suddenly, at least from the point of view of time being hospitalised.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there, but the sudden jump in the serious/critical column may be.
We'll see how that looks over coming days/weeks, but my point was that there is a second wave and not only because people are being tested more rigorously.

Have been trying to get a handle on infections vs deaths and at this stage, the world graph shows that infections are rising but deaths are dropping.
There are several possible reasons for this and as much as I would have liked it to have be, for the virus to be weakening, I don't think it is.

Harks We have no data to go on in Australia to show us the way so looking towards europe and the EuroMomo figures tells us that excess deaths are back down to normal- as they say picture paints a thousand words.

Screenshot - 2020-07-02T051154.716.png

New york- one of the earliest hit- are testing massively- and finding minimal cases

Ny testing results.jpg

Spain one of the earliest hit in europe . Have their deaths back in the normal zone

Screenshot - 2020-07-06T183921.845.png

Sweden (who did not lock down) Massive testing going on but hospitalizations and deaths falling dramatically . In fact their total number of deaths from jan- may are below their average(second chart)

EcGEWD2WAAAWMOB.jpg sweden deaths all causes past 5 years.jpg

So whats going on in the rest of the USA- especially the hotspots? Are they going to repeat a NYC experience? Doesnt seem like it- even if you allow for the lag effect.

EcbWhzcUMAEHVLJ.jpg

EcVl3AoWAAE1982.jpg

Screenshot - 2020-07-07T151002.376.png

After looking for stuff yesterday this is what I got in order of highest cases for regions here.

Hume - 150
Wyndham 120
Melbourne - 108
Brimbank - 75
Moonee Valley - 63
Moreland - 44
Whittlesea - 39
Maribyrnong - 24
Melton - 21
Casey - 21
Yarra - 20
Hobsons Bay - 19
Darebin - 15
Monash - 12
Manningham - 11
Banyule - 11
Port Phillip - 10
Stonnington - 10
Mitchell - 8
Boroondara - 8
Whitehorse - 8
Greater Dandenong - 4
Knox - 4
Maroondah - 3
Bayside - 2
Frankston - 2
Greater Geelong - 2
Kingston - 2
Glen Eira - 1
Greater Shepparton - 1
Cardinia - 0
Mornington Peninsula - 0

I see those graphs/charts and hear you about death rates seemingly normalising in some countries.

On death rates though -
1. Are they simply down for all the extra hospital care given?
2. There should be another chart that attributes death rates directly to virus-initiated causes.
Maybe there have ben far less road fatalities, workplace fatalities etc to account for the normalisation of those numbers. I don't know.

Spains numbers? I'm not buying it.
Chinas numbers? Not buying it either.
Qatars numbers? Don't make sense.

I see some countries reporting numbers they want to, for political/economical reasons.

It's all very hard to get a real grasp of.

What's the point of reading bogans' thoughts, as you say? :)

People do work away from family and if it was as simple as that, that's one thing.
The situation here is that you're largely left alone without the ability to take your young family to friends, or the ability to have family come over for support etc.

This is different. It's not just about being away from family and everything else rolls on, as it would have without this virus. It's just not the same.

It’s a mental condition I have, I don’t know the term for it, but I can’t help read the comments around stories and articles, even though I know it will piss me off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back