And the winner is.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough too. Was listening to SEN and they reckon Perth's large advantage because of the broadcasting times more convinient. I think it belongs over there.

tomatoes said:
Obviously they aren't very ambitious about developing the sport.

agreed

i might be alright for the 1st 5 years, but melb would of had a better future

A blind man could have seen this coming, I reckon. A Perth team has a far better chance of success than a Melbourne team, in the short and long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just been speaking to a work contact in Sydney who is an ardent Randwick fan, and he said that the vibe from his contacts was that it was thought that the Melbourne sporting market might be very hot and busy over the coming years. It has AFL, Grand Prix and the Commonwealth games, this is a tough market to break into.

He said that Perth would be easier to get a toe hold into.

Don't forget Perth aint a pauper city. Per capita they are doing ok in comparison with other cities. Mining royalties keep the old cash registers ticking over.

Anyway that is what the vibe is from Sydney.

masai said:
Just been speaking to a work contact in Sydney who is an ardent Randwick fan, and he said that the vibe from his contacts was that it was thought that the Melbourne sporting market might be very hot and busy over the coming years. It has AFL, Grand Prix and the Commonwealth games, this is a tough market to break into.

Don't forget Perth aint a pauper city. Per capita they are doing ok in comparison with other cities. Mining royalties keep the old cash registers ticking over.

Anyway that is what the vibe is from Sydney.

North Shore ;)

masai said:
Perth may be easier, but that is a gutless attitude from the ARU. If they truly want rugby to be Australia's number 2 sport, the should have demsonstrated some courage and faith.

Clearly the ARU are not serious about growing the sport in the 2nd biggest market in Australia.

Good luck to Perth, I am sure they will be successful....

But the game will not grow in the state of Victoria. Big opportunity missed.....

This decision is a short sighted one from the ARU.

Its been made more on the basis of geography rather then money and potential ( stopovers between South Africa and East Coast/NZ)....

I would have liked Melbourne to win the bid so that a proper rectangle stadium could have been built there to service RU, RL and soccer..

Hopefully the Vic government can still give some money for the refurbishment of Olympic....

Gutless decision. Completely lacking in balls from the ARU.

Once again, Victorian rugby fans are treated like we don't exist.

You're looking at a 4million+ market here. Many times bigger than Perth.

O'Neill said that Melbourne would have made it had he of been in. No wonder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back