Toast Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of our injuries are of the contact variety, nothing anyone can do.

Yes and no. There are ways you can develop the physique to lessen an athlete's susceptibility to such injuries or overcome them quicker. You can't stop the contact from occurring, but you can condition the athlete better to handle it.

Yes and no. There are ways you can develop the physique to lessen an athlete's susceptibility to such injuries or overcome them quicker. You can't stop the contact from occurring, but you can condition the athlete better to handle it.

Can't do a thing about broken bones, most knee injuries, shoulders, achilles

Soft tissue reoccurring can be improved, like when Russell changed Rioli's running style, but even then, they will happen

Most of our injuries are of the contact variety, nothing anyone can do. Tall 18-21 year olds that are still growing, having stress fractures is also very common. Numbers show, fitness levels continue to improve.

I would be concerned if most of our injuries were soft tissue

Injuries that are non-soft-tissue can still be put down to overuse and form.

I did my knee and to avoid doing it again I had to reinvent the way I ran and drastically strengthen my glutes. I'm shocked Marchbank wasn't completely rebuilt this way during his neck rehab.

Besides, McGovern soft tissue - absolute fail by Russell to get him right considering the amount of work they've put into him - eg "the cage".

We don't know how rogue Charlie went with his deadlifts but that setback, among others keep happening under Russell's program.

Fitter insofar our players might be covering more distance however we don't seem to run out games as well as other clubs, it's not like we are bullying other clubs with our strength either, at the same time our injury list is horrid. I'm struggling to see the success of this HP program.

Not true at all. Can't do much about a broken leg, but development of the surrounding muscles around ligaments, joints, etc can be highly effective in lessening or preventing injury.

AFL players are pretty muscular....

I did my knee and to avoid doing it again I had to reinvent the way I ran and drastically strengthen my glutes. I'm shocked Marchbank wasn't completely rebuilt this way during his neck rehab.

Besides, McGovern soft tissue - absolute fail by Russell to get him right considering the amount of work they've put into him - eg "the cage".

We don't know how rogue Charlie went with his deadlifts but that setback, among others keep happening under Russell's program.

Fitter insofar our players might be covering more distance however we don't seem to run out games as well as other clubs, it's not like we are bullying other clubs with our strength either, at the same time our injury list is horrid. I'm struggling to see the success of this HP program.

But you still did the knee. If you consider Doc did his 2nd Knee just as he got to the club, touch wood, Doc hasn't missed a beat despite not being back to pre knee form.

I mentioned a while back, Giv is made like a polly waffle, some players are just built that way

Not true at all. Can't do much about a broken leg, but development of the surrounding muscles around ligaments, joints, etc can be highly effective in lessening or preventing injury.

See above

Forgot to mention fitness, or numbers as an average are equal to any side, covering ground, sprints, repeat sprints. Issue is, the gameplan, where most of our energy is spent in attacking kilometres, rather than defensively

When we get that balanced we have won games

But you still did the knee. If you consider Doc did his 2nd Knee just as he got to the club, touch wood, Doc hasn't missed a beat despite not being back to pre knee form.

I mentioned a while back, Giv is made like a polly waffle, some players are just built that way

See above
I did the knee due to my glute giving way one game and all my weight bearing onto my knee while I twisted in a tackle. It wouldn't have happened if I was fitter and stronger through the glutes and hips. Kinda like Erin Phillips (although she had no contact at all when she did hers).

I guess Docherty is a tick for Russell. ACL recoveries these days are pretty stock-standard though, most regular physios are expected to know what they're doing - let alone an AFL HP manager.

I did the knee due to my glute giving way one game and all my weight bearing onto my knee while I twisted in a tackle. It wouldn't have happened if I was fitter and stronger through the glutes and hips. Kinda like Erin Phillips (although she had no contact at all when she did hers).

I guess Docherty is a tick for Russell. ACL recoveries these days are pretty stock-standard though, most regular physios are expected to know what they're doing - let alone an AFL HP manager.

AR isn't a messiah, but his work is elite, like some others in the industry

Forgot to mention fitness, or numbers as an average are equal to any side, covering ground, sprints, repeat sprints. Issue is, the gameplan, where most of our energy is spent in attacking kilometres, rather than defensively

When we get that balanced we have won games

Not sure what the protocol for a first post is on this site, so apologies for the 'quoting' to get me started. This interests me though.

There's no real significant difference between sides with regards to fitness as you mention. Each team has their 'freaks' and each team has their guys who aren't aerobically blessed but can run out an AFL match. There's also been internal studies within teams to suggest that players often play within themselves, and can 'cover' for reduced rotations by generating an increased output where required. Most fit, healthy young males can run 16-17km over the course of 120 minutes with a fair portion of that at higher intensities. It's the distribution and the way they reach those outputs that is most important, and likely most impactful.

For me, it's the effort as opposed to energy. It's the will to accelerate to higher speeds quicker to separate from opponents, it's the will to do that collectively to close space and apply pressure. Is it a mindset? Is it a coaching philosophy? Is it that we don't have the physiological capacity to product repeat high intensity efforts with considerable density?

That's probably enough from me for a first post. Good to be on the site and look forward to contributing!

Go Baggers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the protocol for a first post is on this site, so apologies for the 'quoting' to get me started. This interests me though.

There's no real significant difference between sides with regards to fitness as you mention. Each team has their 'freaks' and each team has their guys who aren't aerobically blessed but can run out an AFL match. There's also been internal studies within teams to suggest that players often play within themselves, and can 'cover' for reduced rotations by generating an increased output where required. Most fit, healthy young males can run 16-17km over the course of 120 minutes with a fair portion of that at higher intensities. It's the distribution and the way they reach those outputs that is most important, and likely most impactful.

For me, it's the effort as opposed to energy. It's the will to accelerate to higher speeds quicker to separate from opponents, it's the will to do that collectively to close space and apply pressure. Is it a mindset? Is it a coaching philosophy? Is it that we don't have the physiological capacity to product repeat high intensity efforts with considerable density?

That's probably enough from me for a first post. Good to be on the site and look forward to contributing!

Go Baggers
well said and welcome mate!

Go Baggers

Good post.

I think effort/mindset is part of it, but also our structure.
We're inefficient with our workrate due to the structure and game plan, and so tire more easily and find it harder to put together 4 quarters. We have to chase harder through the centre of the ground, due to where we stand, and the timing of our runs (this is most evident around stoppages).

You're going to tire in a competitive game of footy, how well you do is determined by how well you handle that. Most of that comes down to skill and tactics.

Russell is a proven person. We have a history of bringing proven people to Carlton and making them look like failures. The problem is always in other areas. Russell ticks a box, the players are fit enough however there are some issues which IMO aren't related to him.

Not sure our physio's are up to scratch, there have been too many cases where players have come back and become injured.

Our player quality isn't high enough for our all out attack game to build a significant lead. Our game plan has not evolved a defensive side which means we can't hold a lead but IMO it will if our coaching, recruiting and developing is good enough.

Go Baggers
Yeah that effort you speak of is drawn out of players by coaches and good team moral. You'd 'die' for your teammate so if you have the opportunity to go, you ******* well go. That desire to be first to the ball etc. We do seem to cruise a bit, interesting observations.

Not sure our physio's are up to scratch, there have been too many cases where players have come back and become injured.

Our player quality isn't high enough for our all out attack game to build a significant lead. Our game plan has not evolved a defensive side which means we can't hold a lead but IMO it will if our coaching, recruiting and developing is good enough.

I think if you add CC and a fit and firing MMc to the mix, we most certainly are potent enough. I dont see MM firing until CC returns , he is great as a 3rd tall as he showed at AFC. With those 3 working well together that just leaves our traditionally weak area- the small forwards. Betts showed on the Week end that he is still capable of the miraculous. Martin will be a welcome addition back - people forget how much we were raving about Jack this time last year. he' just needs a run at it fitness wise. Fogarty , Honey, Owies, murph , Fisher, Durdin can all fight over the last remaining spot- there is plenty of signs in that group to say that someone will grab the spot and make it his own.

Watched 'On The Couch' last night and they posted the statistic that Carlton have conceded 39.6 Points on average during 'Time On/Red Time' this season. The general consensus from the panel was that Carlton aren't fit enough this season.
Given the reputation of Andrew Russell I was interested in the thoughts of Carlton supporters.

Watched 'On The Couch' last night and they posted the statistic that Carlton have conceded 39.6 Points on average during 'Time On/Red Time' this season. The general consensus from the panel was that Carlton aren't fit enough this season.
Given the reputation of Andrew Russell I was interested in the thoughts of Carlton supporters.

We're clearly exhausting ourselves.

Think it's much more to do with our game plan and the inefficient way we spread, rather than just being 'unfit'.
Our GPS numbers seem ok.

It's unlikely that someone of Russell's quality suddenly stuffs it up.
It also seems that Teague has been picking some players before they're ready fitness wise against Russell's advice, which certainly doesn't help.

We agree that it's because the players are gassed but at least myself think it's more to do with the midfield, the way we rotate players and gameplan.

Teagues got an extremely taxing game plan but also doesn't rotate players through the midfield as much as other clubs. By the end of each quarter between the arcs, the guys are gassed.

It's probably a combination of a few things, what I outlined and fitness standards either not being high enough or not being adhered to. Which would be a discipline/culture issue and we are having a full review for a reason so...

Nobody is immune from criticism, but Andrew Russell is just about the only well-respected and well-credentialed person we have in our football department. He's got a reputation for actually being good at his job, compared to most others at our organisation.

Which is probably the reason why we will turf him out in the review :sweatsmile: :sweatsmile:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back