Toast Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty impossible to actually know what we've really got and are missing at the moment. Neutrals who watch 25 minutes of carlton footy love to pretend to know what's going on and here the fanatics can't agree on much except this...

The game plan is broken and tge players aren't committed to it. There are development and confidence issues rife in the playing list making it completely impossible to properly judge player skill levels. The game, like most sports, is 80%+ mental and our mental side is shot. Until it isn't we can't answer personnel questions too much other than to go back to when we played confident footy... We were not really short of mids then with expected improvement ftom Sps Dow ans lob. The first 2 especially being players who has shown enough to know they'll carve out a career. Probably at a different club now, such seems the divide in the club.

Well said.

I reckon players like Williams coming in and immediately looking about 3 grades worse under our system makes it pretty clear that there's no way we can fairy judge the potential of many of our young players based on their current output alone.

Has to be seriously looked at in this review.

Nobody is ever fit enough, and they take 3-4 weeks to come back from injury for a fitness block?

What is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has to be seriously looked at in this review.

Nobody is ever fit enough, and they take 3-4 weeks to come back from injury for a fitness block?

What is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
None of this comment makes sense.... 3-4 weeks of letting an injury recover is going to see you lose fitness compared to pro athletes, of course you then need a small block of fitness training.

I haven’t read more than a few pages here, but sense some negativity.

How can someone rated as high as Russell was, suddenly not know his craft. He is a professional, who Hawthorn hated to lose, one of the few wins we have had within the footy department in years.

Of course he needs to be included in the review, but I would be amazed if he is one of the problems.

Last edited:

How can someone rated as high as Russell was, suddenly not know his craft. He is a professional, who Hawthorn hated to lose, one of the few wins we have had within the footy department in years.

Of course he needs to be included in the review, but I would be amazed if he is one of the problems.
we don't know what the accountability mechanisms were like at hawthorn for him. It seems at carlton there are none . He has absolute control.
They were upset when Bolton left.
Our team struggles with fitness, its obvious . and for a bottom 1/3 side, sustains many ongoing injuries

we don't know what the accountability mechanisms were like at hawthorn for him. It seems at carlton there are none . He has absolute control.

Where is the evidence to support this assertion? I haven'5t read anything about this, maybe you can provide a link?

Buttifant was highly regarded, how’d he go at Carlton??

Look, I’m not personally off AR, but I do reject the opinion that he can’t even be questioned (not directed at you)

Everyone needs to be questioned atm, as you’ve said, that’s how we’ll get to the bottom of things...

Some posters just can’t handle the idea that he could even be under just a little pressure, that’s what drives some others mad

Buttifant was highly regarded, how’d he go at Carlton??

Look, I’m not personally off AR, but I do reject the opinion that he can’t even be questioned (not directed at you)

Everyone needs to be questioned atm, as you’ve said, that’s how we’ll get to the bottom of things...

Some posters just can’t handle the idea that he could even be under just a little pressure, that’s what drives some others mad
Last year he publicly commented on a solution to buddies woes, offering advice on weight etc
This is a servant of the CFC talking out of turn on an opposition player. Can you imagine, if our assistant coach offered public commentary on the defensive tweaks of an opposition defender whilst taking a paycheck? regardless if they worked together breifly.

Last year he publicly commented on a solution to buddies woes, offering advice on weight etc
This is a servant of the CFC talking out of turn on an opposition player. Can you imagine, if our assistant coach offered public commentary on the defensive tweaks of an opposition defender whilst taking a paycheck? regardless if they worked together breifly.
I didn’t love that but I also didn’t think it was a huge issue

Yep, I’m on the fence... :grinv1:

Our team struggles with fitness, its obvious . and for a bottom 1/3 side, sustains many ongoing injuries
Disagree with all of this. Russell clearly doesn't have absolute control.

Look at how players were handled last year v this year and you can see there's been a shift.

Not been given the freedom he was afforded last year due to our current predicament.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd suggest that the situation is closer to the opposite of that

One thing I hope they cover in the review is the decision for Cripps to lose size 2 years ago. Hasn’t looked the same since.

although I wonder if 2020 slimmed down Cripps would be a success in the more dynamic 2021 game.

2019 - Game: Contested, Cripps: Beast ✅
2020 - Game: Contested, Cripps: Athletic
2021 - Game: Dynamic, Cripps: Beast

Did the AFL changing the rules on the eve of the season with Cripps spending all summer going Beastmode hurt him?

I'd suggest that the situation is closer to the opposite of that

"I think Hawthorn had a strategy around Andrew Russell where they didn't allow him to do a lot of media and he was always behind the scenes. It wasn't a bad strategy to keep him locked away and they were able to keep him with a lower profile.

"At Carlton, clearly they are putting him out there which is good and we like that.

"I think Hawthorn had a strategy around Andrew Russell where they didn't allow him to do a lot of media and he was always behind the scenes. It wasn't a bad strategy to keep him locked away and they were able to keep him with a lower profile.

"At Carlton, clearly they are putting him out there which is good and we like that.

That article and quotes have absolutely zero to do with your original post or my reply

AR could be the best strength and conditioning coach there is out there (and may well be), but if he's not part of a cohesive coaching and development unit any benefits could be largely wasted. I suspect this is true for both AR and the entire Footy Department based on the mixed messages and results we're seeing. If the review does it's job, this kind of dysfunction will be highlighted and it's then up to the board and CEO to address it.

That article and quotes have absolutely zero to do with your original post or my reply
he talks out of turn. the hawks kept him in check. Possibly had more stringent supervision of this individual, whereas we likely don't have.

might have had a good year or 2 in the past, but so did loris bertolacci

You get that from one media interview o_O
all i get is what i can see. Players are not fit, and there are many injuries for a low impact team.

perhaps you see different. It is what it is .

You make a statement on my original post, the "opposite is true"
perhaps you need to substantiate this?

All administrators, department heads and personnel surely would be aware of the media’s appetite for the slightest critical or inflammatory comment re opposition teams. Especially ir there’s an obvious connection as in Russell and Franklin.
The professionalism & culture shift we need make applies to executive and team.The whole structure top to bottom needs review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back