Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

:( horrible news, i was of the opinion he should have been rested today, anyway i wish spitta a speedy recovery, and look forward to jack leading the team next week,

did you ring Brad and let him know before the game? on a more serious note all the best in your recovery Captain, hope to see you for the finals next year.

Foley had this injury? Roughed is going OK. Who else has suffered an Achilles in recent times. There's no doubt he will work hard to get himself back to his best.

I grew up with Foley and I was almost tempted to give him a bell and tell him to call spitta for a chat.
He struggled for aaaages, ran around for most of a year not being able to feel anything ankle down cause of all the jabs.
It was the first thing I thought of when he went down...just how much of a mess around this injury can be.
All the best el capitain and hope to see you run out sooner rather than later!

Sack Steve Saunders.........his arse is grass!!;)

Very sad but as each week passed the closer we were to a serious injury, not great for Spitta. But now looking forward to another player grabbing his chance for a spot next year.

I grew up with Foley and I was almost tempted to give him a bell and tell him to call spitta for a chat.
He struggled for aaaages, ran around for most of a year not being able to feel anything ankle down cause of all the jabs.
It was the first thing I thought of when he went down...just how much of a mess around this injury can be.
All the best el capitain and hope to see you run out sooner rather than later!

Thanks for the reply. Interesting stuff. I thought of Foley first too (maybe because he struggled and I thought the worst straight off the bat?). Foley is slowly getting better - people forget how good he was. I loved him in that pseudo state of origin game.

If LA doesn't get a call up you would say his career is over with us.

LA not exactly the obvious choice to replace Spitta, so I wouldn't go that far.

If LA is gone at the end of the year his papers were stamped long ago with his Sam Poweresque ability to rack up touches and do nothing with them/hurt us by giving it straight over to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did you ring Brad and let him know before the game? on a more serious note all the best in your recovery Captain, hope to see you for the finals next year.
so, do you disagree that he has being playing with something restricting his usual output since picken jumped across his leg vs bulldogs, and we could have beaten the dee's without him, giving him a well earned break before a big game vs geelong on friday nite ???

Well the link between overwork and achilles injuries is interesting.

For those basketball fans on here, Kobe Bryant has played an obscene amount of minutes this year and snapped his.

If someone can clarify of there is a link between this injury and overuse, please do.

I'm no expert SD but I snapped mine in a simple pivot on the basketball court the day after my first significant mountain bike ride in 10 years (20km at Lysterfield). The Doc explained the clear link between my calf & the rupture, as it was completely fatigued so all the regular motion it normally supports was in essence passed straight down to my Achilles, & snappo. I still get a wave of sickening nausea whenever I see the same happen to others, ala Sharelle McMahon.

Anyway I obviously didn't have the medical support staff Spitta will have but i'd still be shocked if he gets back before mid-season 2014. I don't want him back any earlier than absolutely necessary either as it's one of those injuries which can trick you into thinking you're over it, which I also did, before a minor tear of the repair occurred. Anyway so the only link may have been if Andrew was carrying a niggle in his calf?

Best of luck Spitta, time is on your side mate!

Thanks for the reply. Interesting stuff. I thought of Foley first too (maybe because he struggled and I thought the worst straight off the bat?). Foley is slowly getting better - people forget how good he was. I loved him in that pseudo state of origin game.

As you probably know he was on Richmonds rookie list for 3 years. He's just a dedicated athlete, if he had of started in the nineties I have no doubt he would have gone 2nd-4th round in the draft and played a lot more footy...just one of those things...would put him in the same boat as boomer (training/recovery/prep) just always suffered with pre season injuries...probably had 2 full pre seasons...

CBSlogger, how much does it actually hurt? How long does the pain last after sustaining the injury?

The initial snap felt like someone had swung an axe through it - like you see most achilles victims I immediately looked around for the pr*ck who stood on me but there was no-one there! The pain in the first few seconds is the worst I've felt but after a few seconds it pretty much dissipated unless my leg was knocked or moved suddenly. Ouch. After the temporary cast stabilized the area the only serious pain was for a few nights with the swelling, oh & the first time you swing off the bed in the morning & the blood rushes down into your ankle! Yeah that was no friggin good at all. Maybe the take the worst ankle roll you've done & double the pain.

I was pretty lucky to only wait 6 days to have surgery on it through the public system, where endone became my very best friend!

Absolutely heartbreaking moment, I can't believe it. Andy is the heart and soul of our club so many ways and we will be less until he returns - wish him all the best with recovery and we will all be by his side.

Oh and most importantly... congrats on 105 magnificent consecutive games, skipper. Legend.

I can see two positives out of this horrible situation.

One being a chance for a player like Jacobs who hasn't really had any serious opportunity with us as yet. Here is his chance to stake his claim and add to our depth.

And the second being the much needed rest Andrew is going to get over the next 6 months before his rehab really kicks in. We have all seen how many knocks he has received over the last few seasons, and there were some legitimate fears for his career longevity as a result. Having some rest may actually help him in the long run.

Bad luck Spitta, terrible news:(...However, this could be a blessing in disguise and the potential making of our footy club, huge opportunity for Greenwood or perhaps Atley to play mid for a lengthy spell. Also Ziebell and Cunners will hopefully grow another leg and take us forward with the added responsibility. We do rely very heavily on Spitta at times so its a great test. Time to install JZ as captain from Round 1 next year whilst Spitta recuperates.

Not good news at all. We will certainly miss Andrew. It's really going to make it hard for us going forward without our captain. I don't think he will be any good until 2015. Ruptured achilles is worse than an ACL in my opinion. Its not just the ACL but when coming back from achilles injuries players tend to be a lot of hamstring and calf problems for a while. It can sometimes be a 24 months until you come good but Im sure if anyone can get back Andrew can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back