Player Watch Another step closer to fielding a women's team...Welcome Meg Hutchins

Remove this Banner Ad

Front page of The Age too!

Thinking about this a bit more, Meg's appointment as the first female operations manager at an AFL club - despite that she intends to relinquish the job when she is recruited into one of the first women's teams (hopefully us) - is important on so many levels. It signals that the clubs who win these licences are serious, and will put internal structures in place to ensure the teams are properly resourced and managed. I'm sure men will work within the structures too, but it may also lead to more women crossing over into the male dominated AFL football departments.

It's a great move by us. We have historically been innovators at the Pies, and this is another example. I am excited to see how we will set this team up (I'm now more confident we will get the licence). Also looking forward to the day when we have three games to choose from over the weekend! Hope the women's team gets to play at Vic Park.

Thinking about this a bit more, Meg's appointment as the first female operations manager at an AFL club - despite that she intends to relinquish the job when she is recruited into one of the first women's teams (hopefully us) - is important on so many levels. It signals that the clubs who win these licences are serious, and will put internal structures in place to ensure the teams are properly resourced and managed. I'm sure men will work within the structures too, but it may also lead to more women crossing over into the male dominated AFL football departments.

It's a great move by us. We have historically been innovators at the Pies, and this is another example. I am excited to see how we will set this team up (I'm now more confident we will get the licence). Also looking forward to the day when we have three games to choose from over the weekend! Hope the women's team gets to play at Vic Park.

Positive signs but maybe we should try to walk before we run?

I mean, the licenses haven't been decided upon yet.. and who knows what interest this team will generate after the novelty factor wears off. If the interest is high then sure, go the full whammy.

I'm not concerned whether the women's league gets immediate high interest levels or not. Collingwood needs to be a leader in this area to further the growth of not only the game but the club itself. If in some small way this helps to bring about change in societal attitudes to women then it's a win, win, win for everyone. Very happy with the club getting on the front foot!

Meg is one of the best defenders in the country. Usually takes the number 2 or 3 forward and rebounds off of them.

We voted her best on ground in last week's radio broadcast and took a gutsy mark late in the game to win the match - got cleaned up by the best forward in the country (Mo Hope) in the process.

With those skills she should get a gig in Collingwood's men's team.

Just say'n ;)

there is already a thread on this jmac70
threads being merged

Understand that MG but as I said Meg should have her own welcome thread. She is the female equivalent of Nathan Buckley and will most likely play in our first ever female side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood sells

Women sell

Collingwood + Women? The editor must have thought it was Christmas! :p

Thinking about this a bit more, Meg's appointment as the first female operations manager at an AFL club - despite that she intends to relinquish the job when she is recruited into one of the first women's teams (hopefully us) - is important on so many levels. It signals that the clubs who win these licences are serious, and will put internal structures in place to ensure the teams are properly resourced and managed.

We can't lose really. Even if we don't end up with a license (still a risk), we have an administrator who has been trained up within the club. I'd imagine that there will always be a role in a footy club for capable folks in that area. All the more so given our efforts to balance the genders (a good idea BTW)

I'm sure men will work within the structures too,...

This is a real positive IMHO. It provides extra coaching opportunities within the club. Provides more opportunities for injured lads to help out and not be idle (as 'Caff was doing with the VFL)

... but it may also lead to more women crossing over into the male dominated AFL football departments.

It's a great move by us.

Indeed!

We have historically been innovators at the Pies, ...

Historically, Maybe ... But not sure that there's been so much innovation of late?

If anything, I'm feeling this decision is a bit 'unCollingwood'. In recent times we've been fiscal arch conservatives. Spending money on a women's team before we've got the license??? That doesn't sound like something Gary Pert would do at all?

I'm wondering if this might be Christine Holgate's influence? She's new, fresh, pro-women's team, hasn't been beaten around the head by Perty's fiscal arch conservatism yet?

I am excited to see how we will set this team up (I'm now more confident we will get the licence).

tsk, tsk, Vicky, you're old school Collingwood, you should know better than to count your chickens :p

Disappointment is in our DNA :(

Also looking forward to the day when we have three games to choose from over the weekend!

It'll be interesting to see how well it'll do.

IMHO we're still building up the VFL sub-culture. It's only a little over two years since I asked Perty whether the club was thinking about video / audio of VFL games, and his response indicated that he didn't think there'd be much interest. The VFL seems to be bubbling along quite well now. How would that spill over to supporting the women's comp?

Will there be folks who go to all three games? (Well, there will, we know that ... But how many?)

How many folks will think two is enough? (Not unreasonable - the vast majority of supporters probably think one home AFL game a fortnight is plenty).

Will it take people away from VFL?

Will it attract new people who don't go to VFL (or even AFL games?), and if do how many?

Hope the women's team gets to play at Vic Park.

Could happen of course ...

... But IMHO I don't think it will happen.

Olympic Oval has been set up with a focus on women (whatever that means!)

The women's team will be about establishing new traditions, and they've got a great new facility to do that at.

I've concluded that Victoria Park is there to provide the older folks with something to reminisce about. We'll play a NAB Cup game there next year, and it'll be home ground for the VFL lads.

I'm not against the women's team playing at Vic Park, I just don't think it'll happen.

I've concluded that Victoria Park is there to provide the older folks with something to reminisce about. We'll play a NAB Cup game there next year, and it'll be home ground for the VFL lads.

Hopefully VP is more than just that 76! Something more tangible and current for our club. Let's see how it pans out...

curtain raisers before mens game, will be awesome.
Can see womens afl getting big in 5 years time.

If we win the first premiership it will go through the roof, as will our membership.

I better get my sister into footy.

curtain raisers before mens game, will be awesome.
Can see womens afl getting big in 5 years time.

Agree - That be the best chance getting the Biggest Crowd for Women Games

Hopefully VP is more than just that 76! Something more tangible and current for our club. Let's see how it pans out...

Yeah, apologies, that sounded a bit clinical, didn't it?

Links with the past are important, heritage is important. The club is about people, and the way people feel is important - whether those feelings are of identity, community, belonging, feeling good about themselves, or just simply reminiscing about good times. All of that is well worth the price of membership (and more).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back