Hard_to_Beat

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
270313_StevensLarge.jpg

Once a Magpie. Forever a Roo.

Anthony Stevens still remembers the day his childhood love for Collingwood disappeared for good.

“We had some great battles at Victoria Park over a few years,” Stevens recalls.

“One day, I was playing against Tony Francis, and I was actually doing OK against him.

“The old race at Victoria Park used to go through the middle of the Collingwood members, and as I was walking through, an old lady was yelling at me and giving me a cook. I looked up and laughed at her, and she spat straight in my face and from that day onwards, I never barracked for the dirty Magpies again.”

It was quite the statement from a youngster who’d spent his younger days idolising Peter Daicos and Darren Millane growing up in Waaia, three hours out of Melbourne.

“Going down to North Melbourne was pretty scary. I was a country boy. I’d probably seen, maybe one or two games in my lifetime when I went down there to the club as a 17-year old.

“Then all of a sudden I was playing my first game against Collingwood who I barracked for as a junior and to play against my two heroes was pretty awesome, and pretty surreal. You pinched yourself and couldn’t believe you were actually out on the ground doing it.”

Stevens’ passion for North grew quickly and he soon bled royal blue and white. Despite his run-in at Victoria Park, his respect for the opposition never wavered.

“As far as rivals go, Collingwood is one of the clubs that really stands out for me,” he added.

“Mainly because in the early nineties, they were one of the toughest opponents to conquer and we were coming up against some of the great players in that era.”

It’s a rivalry that has extended to the modern day, and the former number 10 says he’s excited by the prospect of presenting the match-ball to the umpires at North’s first home game.

“It’s an honour to be asked, especially against the old club that I barracked for as a kid and had some great battles with during my playing career.”

Stevens will be joined by his son in the middle and says he can’t wait to stand alongside the Kangaroos’ team once again.

When the formalities are over, he’ll be cheering on his old team until the final siren.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-03-27/stevens-forever-north.workstation

Don't think it's his cup of tea that sorta thing.

I still think the would have something to offer, and we should be asking him and Arch to be play a role at the club right now.

When Fitzroy got the flick as an AFL club, Stevo and Arch were the two who made me feel that although so very much was lost, so very much was also gained. Love those two blokes and what they have contributed to the North Melbourne Football Club.

(I don't suppose they could let him have a few minutes on the ground to show those Pies a thing or thirty?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have his final game jumper signed and framed up on the wall at home, along with a pic of Leigh Mathews shaking his hand as he's chaired off. Absolute legend who'd have died for the cause!

Last year the duck, this year Stevo..... hopefully it's a better result!

Cam Mooney may have had duck eggs in the 99 GF, but his most important stat came after the game when he piggy backed Stevo from the bench, out to the celebrations, I'll never forget that moment in time!

Onya Stevo!

Did he? I read somewhere growing up in Preston/Epping area he supported Pies. Take your word for it though.
On the other hand Drew supported the bombers:eek:

That's because his uncle is Ronnie Andrews.

Ran into Stevo today at my local and asked him a few questions....

Thought his response was interesting when i asked him if he will be a the club in 2017 (Just expecting him to say hell yeah),

Said he has a few coaching/mentor options he is having a think about over the next week before deciding.

Wonder if they are at another AFL club????

Ran into Stevo today at my local and asked him a few questions....

Thought his response was interesting when i asked him if he will be a the club in 2017 (Just expecting him to say hell yeah),

Said he has a few coaching/mentor options he is having a think about over the next week before deciding.

Wonder if they are at another AFL club????
With his good mate simmo (speculation)

I happen to work the corporate box the game against the Pies when North come from behind to snatch victory in time-on. Nathan Thompson flexing his biceps then Boomer imitating him with a huge grin. In the box was Colby, Ronny Joseph and Stevo amongst others (unknowns). Had a 10min chat with Stevo who revealed some indifferent opinions on then-current players… not willing to share online.. as I'd be happy to say that I didn't agree with Stevo (I was actually sticking up for the players in question).. hmmmm.. Next time I cross paths with Stevo.. I'm quite sure he'll happily admit he was wrong. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back