Anyone else find themselves cheering Port on?

Remove this Banner Ad

i was def cheering for port. even with the year they've had, they still played with heart.

Congratulations to Port on a great effort. It was quite clear that there was an agenda out there and you were not going to be allowed to win out there today. I'm sure the Maggot department will say all calls were correct but perhaps the ICC corruption body should have a look.
i got that sense too.

I don't know what it is about Essendon that makes Port look like millionaires. Gray always dines out on us. If our midfield is as insipid in a fortnight, Carlton will destroy us.

Port have been a bogey side for Essendon since their AFL inception, so this narrow result even considering they're having their worst season ever isn't overly surprising.

They always pull one out of the hat against us, and tonight they pulled a few out. We generally have a habit of making them look 100x better than their true capabilities.

We'll take the win in the dead rubber and move on. We won't play this poorly in a final against Carlton, especially with a few players set to come back.

Well Done Port though for playing their best game of the year. But as they say in the classics, winners are grinners and losers can please themselves :)

I was worried for weeks that Port would beat us, they've had the wood on us for 15 years. Felt really, really bad for them after this though. Very glad we won and didn't chuck in the towel, but still, Port really deserve a win. Sadly, it may have to be against Melbourne next week... another club I feel for.

Honestly you are kidding yourselves if you thought we tried tonight (apart from the last quarter). Almost looked like we were tanking in the first three quarters, players didn't even give a shit.

Umps were an embarrassment tonight, I feel for the Port fans, but about time we get a good run with them.

As I said, you are KIDDING yourself if you thought we played our best tonight, what's the use of going full throttle in a deadrubber and suffering injuries heading into the finals?

Don't write us off in the finals, although I expect every moron on this site to do so basing it off a game which in terms of our season didn't really matter. If North won last night then we wouldn't have been so soft tonight

hmmm, interesting how the title of essendon's win on the afl website was changed from [something like] "essendon's lucky escape" or "essendon get lucky" to "one from the heart"... hmm... i wonder if anyone else noticed it. i guess the powers that be didn't like essendon to be painted as lucky to win against port going into finals.

hmmm, interesting how the title of essendon's win on the afl website was changed from [something like] "essendon's lucky break" or "essendon get lucky" to "one from the heart"... hmm... i wonder if anyone else noticed it. i guess the powers that be didn't like essendon to be painted as lucky to win against port going into finals.

Or maybe it was just a shit headline.

But nah obviously Essendon run the AFL, get favoured by the umpires and didn't deserve to win the game today.

hmmm, interesting how the title of essendon's win on the afl website was changed from [something like] "essendon's lucky escape" or "essendon get lucky" to "one from the heart"... hmm... i wonder if anyone else noticed it. i guess the powers that be didn't like essendon to be painted as lucky to win against port going into finals.

People still read the AFL website?

Or maybe it was just a shit headline.

But nah obviously Essendon run the AFL, get favoured by the umpires and didn't deserve to win the game today.
"one from the heart" is a bad headline too. unless they were talking about port's heart with everything they've been through to put in such an effort. who said anything about who deserved to win? you need to simmer down. i was pointing out the editing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"one from the heart" is a bad headline too. unless they were talking about port's heart with everything they've been through to put in such an effort. who said anything about who deserved to win? you need to simmer down. i was pointing out the editing.

Well, for better or worse, they've linked it to McVeigh.

Great read looking at all the Essendon haters who went early with the gloating, then they try to salvage it with some pathetic rants about what a hollow win it is etc etc.
Nice to see we have enough success in our history to make a opposition supporters hate us that much.
By the way Phil McCreviss..... nice name....trying to be funny? or is it a request?

I know Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood supporters are absolutely soiling themselves thinking about what Essendon might do in September. :confused:

Anyway yeah my names a joke but not quite at the same level your team is.

I know Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood supporters are absolutely soiling themselves thinking about what Essendon might do in September. :confused:

Anyway yeah my names a joke but not quite at the same level your team is.

Being a Hawthorn supporter, you should know all too well about the fact that embarrassing H&A losses do not necessarily correlate into a poor Finals Series. Go back to 2001, lost to Freo @ home late in the season (despite leading by around 5 goals @ half time) when they hadn't won a game all year, and lost to St Kilda in the last round (despite leading by about 4 goals with around 10 minutes to play) when they hadn't won a game for over 2 months (which, for the record, was a narrow win over Fremantle).

Then finals began, and from 6th position, Hawthorn beat the 3rd placed Power @ AAMI in the second week of finals, and nearly took us down in a highly controversial prelim.

In saying that, I think we'll get done by the Blues in the first week and that will be that, but I just felt like mentioning that.

Big fan of Gold Coast, so no, I was hoping Essendon got over the line for their sake. Was a pleasant surprise to see Port up and about though. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back