Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id say Geelong's home is Kardina Park. Lets get serious.

And Hawthorn, GWS and Nth Melbourne are searching for viability.
Proves my point. Its only in the AFL where such a ridiculous concept of one team, two cities exists.

If Tasmania want a side, they better choose a city.

It will be based in Hobart. Living, Training, Admin support staff etc. It will play in both Hobart & Launceston.

Like Hawthorn, North, GWS. Like other sports often do.

Its not that hard.

So...Do you think Tas fans will fanatically follow the club by driving for hours from all over the state to see games, buy merch, etc. but Geelong fans wont come from more than 5km from KP, or are you being deliberately misleading?

I mean, it's not like far more people live within 60km of KP than live in all of Tas or anything....Oh, wait...yes there are!

Yes they do. All divided amongst 10 clubs. Many of whom HAVE TO SELL GAMES interstate to survive.

In 'normal' times people drive & fly all over the place to get to games.

You forget an 11 game season will see the games split, so most people won't travel 'all the time', unless they really want to go to most/all games.

We've had this non discussion before. Maybe think of something new to moan about.

Key is the infrastructure around a new club. That will need fleshing out. That will be sorted when the time comes.

Ummm.
It is that hard when someone else is paying the bills, all they have to do is stop paying and it gets extremely hard.

That applies to every current club, or indeed everything/everyone else in society.

The team here has strong bipartisan political support.

Currently clubs are stressed by Covid19. They relied heavily on Job keeper. They all rely on Government money to build their grounds & training facilities. ie look at North Melbourne & Bulldogs in particular.

So my answer to that is 'get real'!! ;)

Yes they do. All divided amongst 10 clubs. Many of whom HAVE TO SELL GAMES interstate to survive.

In 'normal' times people drive & fly all over the place to get to games.

You forget an 11 game season will see the games split, so most people won't travel 'all the time', unless they really want to go to most/all games.

We've had this non discussion before. Maybe think of something new to moan about.

Key is the infrastructure around a new club. That will need fleshing out. That will be sorted when the time comes.

That applies to every current club, or indeed everything/everyone else in society.

The team here has strong bipartisan political support.

Currently clubs are stressed by Covid19. They relied heavily on Job keeper. They all rely on Government money to build their grounds & training facilities. ie look at North Melbourne & Bulldogs in particular.

So my answer to that is 'get real'!! ;)
You are forgetting also, people seem to be reluctant to attend now after covid, what if the trend continues?

It's all well and good THINKING all's well, but 2 stadiums for 1 club is going to cost a crap load of $$

Last edited:
You are forgetting also, people seem to be reluctant to attend now after covid, what if the trend continues?

It's all well and good THINKING all's well, but 2 stadiums for 1 club is going to cost a crap load of $$
Dont highlight the bleeping obvious.
You might disturb the groupthink.

They'll eventually work it out in 2040, after they keep failing with the One team, two city compromise.

Except they already have two AFL stadiums. Bellerive has been updated recently and York Park will be expanded to 27,500.

Except they already have two AFL stadiums. Bellerive has been updated recently and York Park will be expanded to 27,500.
I'm trying to think ahead, not what is there now, Geelong has been mentioned many times as a comparison, well they have a 35k stadium and it's going to be upgraded.
2 stadiums upgraded to that size, then maintain them is going to cost a fortune.

It may well be the government will keep paying, but i would bet somewhere down the track they decide 1 ground is enough.

If the JackJumpers & Hurricanes can survive at national level I just don't see how a historic football state like Tasmania cannot have its own AFL team.

Well then the AFL would be FKD wouldn't it!

Its 2 stadiums for Footy & Cricket. So multi use ;)

We'll get over this epidemic, well before any Tasteam actually plays.

Right now, sad to say, its a current AFL/Vic problem. :(

Well then the AFL would be FKD wouldn't it!

Its 2 stadiums for Footy & Cricket. So multi use ;)

We'll get over this epidemic, well before any Tasteam actually plays.

Right now, sad to say, its a current AFL/Vic problem. :(
We may get over the covid epidemic, but will people go back to attending games as they did?

If the Government see fit to put the money in to use and maintain 2 grounds, then good for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Initially, there will be support in the North for the 'Tas' (Hobart) team, but gradually they'll realise they're being taken for a ride and many will drift back to the team they supported before.
100%.

Hence why there should be a long term commitment to a team in both cities.

SEN N. Negrepontis 26.5

In an important development & show of support for a Tas.19th team, AFLPA CEO, P. Marsh, says players strongly support a 19th team (more jobs for players, though he didn't say this!)- if it can be shown to be financially "sustainable".

He wants a "truly national competition". Marsh said "I think there is a strong chance it will happen"; & said " I've.... expressed our views" to C. Carter.

N. Negrepontis said "The push to have a team in Tasmania has been strong in the last 12 months"

Last edited:
Imagine replying to a post clearly in jest with this lol

So was it 'in jest' when you repeated a pipe dream that has going around 'seriously' since a Tas team was first discussed, or only after I pointed out what a joke the suggestion was?

We may get over the covid epidemic, but will people go back to attending games as they did?

If the Government see fit to put the money in to use and maintain 2 grounds, then good for them.

Why wouldn't they go back to footy? What are your concerns?

The Government already does see fit to have 2 grounds. I has for over 20yrs now. It started when John Howard gifted both grounds some $5mil when he was first elected. That started the politics of the cricket/footy split. Stupid & pure parochialism caused by politicians. Anyway, it is what it is. Moving forward to now, Certainly they both need a revamp. Thats known to be the case with or without a team.

No. Should be a Launceston based team starting asap (if not 2022 then 2023), and a Hobart based team starting in 2027 or so, once Macquarie Point is built.

In your dreams.

What you say is 'should' about 2 teams is NEVER going to happen.

The chances of 1 team are 50/50. Hawthorn & North don't want it.

Thats why whatever happens, I'd kick both those 2 faced back stabbing pricks out now.

Why wouldn't they go back to footy? What are your concerns?

The Government already does see fit to have 2 grounds. I has for over 20yrs now. It started when John Howard gifted both grounds some $5mil when he was first elected. That started the politics of the cricket/footy split. Stupid & pure parochialism caused by politicians. Anyway, it is what it is. Moving forward to now, Certainly they both need a revamp. Thats known to be the case with or without a team.
You haven't noticed that crowds have dropped since crowds have been allowed back?

I hope you do get 2 grounds, but i am not as confident as you are, governments love to save on spending sometimes.

Also, i do hope you get a well run footy club and not ran by government, you know "we get what we want or stop spending"

You haven't noticed that crowds have dropped since crowds have been allowed back?

I hope you do get 2 grounds, but i am not as confident as you are, governments love to save on spending sometimes.

Also, i do hope you get a well run footy club and not ran by government, you know "we get what we want or stop spending"

I'm sure you've noticed that we're still in a pandemic & only have 3% immunisation.

Government won't run it. I'm hoping for a Trust. A structure like WA/SA. (ie with minimal boys club input)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back