Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmanian Premier has put an ultimatum to the AFL: He wants the 18 Club Presidents to vote on the entry of a 19th team in Tasmania in December 2021
Start date negotiable 2026-2030
If they vote "NO" at the moment that will be accepted

If this doesn't happen (the vote) the State Government money which is paid to Hawthorn/North to play games in Tas will be redirected to Soccer, Basketball, Rugby League etc instead. Gil has agreed to meet with Tasmanian premier to work through this plan.

Eddie McGuire wants a 20 team competition set up in time for the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
Media rights and stadium deals to be locked in in advance
New teams Tasmania and Northern Australia (NT/FNQ) to enter by 2030
AFL to work with soccer to lobby state governments for upgrades/building stadiums leveraging the Olympics/ Soccer World Cup bids

Tasmania should definitely have a team in the AFL in the future don't get me wrong, but a team being located in Northern Australian (NT/FNQ) would just be a MASSIVE risk for the competition IMO. I mean if Gold Coast have now been in the competition for a decade now and they still finish bottom 4 regularly with home crowds of 7,00/8,000 (pre-COVID), what real hope would a team based in North Queensland/Darwin ever be successful in the future like that idea seems as stupid as creating a club in New Zealand would be.

I think a 3rd WA club or even an ACT/NSW Country team would be a hell of a lot more viable in the future, in terms of financial revenue/membership growth, then a North Queensland/Darwin side will ever become IMO.

Tasmania should have a team in the AFL in the future don't get me wrong, but a team being located in Northern Australian (NT/FNQ) would just be a massive risk IMO.
This was just Eddie McGuire's plan for 20 AFL and AFLW teams by 2030.

I think it's a good idea to go to 20 clubs by 2030 but in my opinion Canberra is by far the better option for Team 20.
- Far higher population base/reach compared to Darwin or Cairns
- Regional cities of Albury and Wagga already have strong AFL history and could host games to grow the support base.
- Relatively close proximity for Melbourne/Sydney fans to travel to games.
- Allows GWS to focus on Sydney market or possibly develop another secondary market by playing games in Newcastle/Central Coast.

I think it's a good idea to go to 20 clubs by 2030 but in my opinion Canberra is by far the better option for Team 20.
- Regional cities of Albury and Wagga already have strong AFL history and could host games to grow the support base.
- Allows GWS to focus on Sydney market or possible develop another secondary market by playing games in Newcastle/Central Coast.
Canberra for me is the best option for growing the game to new markets full-time IMO and would love to see one team over there in the future because the place is a wonderful city to live in (minus the cold winters). The only issue I have with the Canberra bid atm though is that Manuka Oval will need to redeveloped in the future to help increase the stadium capacity to at least 25,000/30,000 IMO because having a stadium that can only withstand 15,000 max (2020) would not be suitable to hold big home matches against the big Victorian clubs out there such as Collingwood, Essendon & Richmond.

Tasmanian Premier has put an ultimatum to the AFL: He wants the 18 Club Presidents to vote on the entry of a 19th team in Tasmania in December 2021

If this doesn't happen (the vote) the State Government money which is paid to Hawthorn/North to play games in Tas will be redirected to Soccer, Basketball, Rugby League etc instead. Gil has agreed to meet with Tasmanian premier to work through this plan.

Eddie McGuire wants a 20 team competition set up in time for the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
AFL to work with soccer to lobby state governments for upgrades/building stadiums leveraging the Olympics/ Soccer World Cup bids
Great move by the Tasmanian Premier.

Tasmania has been extremely patient with the AFL.

It’a like a woman who has a boyfriend for 10 years and doesn’t commit.

It’s an ultimatum marry me or the relationship is off.

Isn't there a general consensus that most clubs will not vote for it anyway?

And what does "no at the moment" mean? Do the presidents of the clubs set a date to vote on it again?

And what does "no at the moment" mean? Do the presidents of the clubs set a date to vote on it again?
There will be negotiations. Reckon they will get a yes eventually. Gutwein just wants it put to the clubs at their December meeting with a YES recommendation from the AFL. It make take them a few months after that to sort everything out and vote again.

- Allows GWS to focus on Sydney market or possibly develop another secondary market by playing games in Newcastle/Central Coast.
You post is spot on. Also, North and Hawthorn (and Saints) May want to find new secondary markets and this is a better way to service places like Cairns, Townsville. North Queensland is mad on NRL. Don’t let a few thousand Victorians working in tourism in Cairns and Port Douglas fool you, more than a game or two there would be a disaster. Darwin. Is too humid most of the year for footy. That is why their season is in summer.
Eddie is big on getting funding from the government for stadia and facilities and wants to tie it in with the 2032 Olympics. Unfortunately the rectangular stadiums will be hosting the soccer games north of Brisbane and there won’t be any spending on ovals. Not sure why Eddies so fixated on this. It ain’t gonna happen.

Last edited:
A nice sexist comment here would expect better from a mod 🙏

Too worldly for a Saint even a Tasmanian saint ...:'(

So we go from 16 to 18 with angst & want another dose to avoid hard decisions ..... bloody ridiculous, even more 2nd tier players posing as AFL footballers.
Dont kid yourself these 2nd tier players wont be on your team list, they will, just as the duds are spread across all clubs now from the last expansion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll bite. You've got it the wrong way around.

They only paid teams to play there 7 or 8 times a year because they weren't allowed to have one permanently.

In this scenario my analogy still works.

But I agree with the implication that certain clubs tarted themselves out to play in Tassie.

Well thats true enough.

I'll bite. You've got it the wrong way around.

They only paid teams to play there 7 or 8 times a year because they weren't allowed to have one permanently.

But I agree with the implication that certain clubs tarted themselves to play in Tassie. :)

It would be interesting to know how much other markets pay, if in fact they do.

It would be interesting to know how much other markets pay, if in fact they do.

well we know that Canberra is paying 2.3m a year (extended by a year due to COVID). The ACT Government is looking to extend the deal for a minimum 5 years from 2022.
We know that the NT Gov is paying about 1.45m a year to the Demons and Suns for their games in Alice Springs and Darwin.
We know that Tourism QLD was contributing for the Cairns/Townsville game but the exact amount currently not really known

You post is spot on. Also, North and Hawthorn (and Saints) May want to find new secondary markets and this is a better way to service places like Cairns, Townsville. North Queensland is mad on NRL. Don’t let a few thousand Victorians working in tourism in Cairns and Port Douglas fool you, more than a game or two there would be a disaster. Darwin. Is too humid most of the year for footy. That is why their season is in summer.
Eddie is big on getting funding from the government for stadia and facilities and wants to tie it in with the 2032 Olympics. Unfortunately the rectangular stadiums will be hosting the soccer games north of Brisbane and there won’t be any spending on ovals. Not sure why Eddies so fixated on this. It ain’t gonna happen.

No, the dry season (April-October) isn't that humid. It's still going to be 30-32 degrees and sunny for any afternoon match though.

Footy in Darwin is played in the wet season because cricket (using the same ovals in the past) is obviously impossible to play in the wet season. It also means the NTFL draws in plenty of non-NT players, so it was never changed once both sports starting using their own ovals.

NT government and AFLNT have already flagged building a 25k seat stadium in time for the 2032 Olympics in the hope of both securing an AFL licence and nabbing a few of the Olympic events (presumably a pool of the soccer I guess).

The AFL always get what they want.

They will force the hands of the club to vote how they want the vote to go.

Tasmania has run out of patience with the AFL and wants to a commitment either way.

If Tassie gets a "no" then they move onto to another sport to get a national team or put money into the Tasmanian NBL team.

Seems to be a solid amount of support from what i have seen, i would expect most to vote yes at the very least.

I swear to god if Cochrane comes out and votes no though i will lose my mind.

Seems to be a solid amount of support from what i have seen, i would expect most to vote yes at the very least.

Prepare to lose your mind then lol.

Will interesting to see how they do the vote will north and hawthorn get to vote due to there huge financial conflict of interest? If I was gutwein I would be demanding to know which clubs voted which way to as you would be crossing of ever doing any type of business with the no voting clubs

I lend my support to the Tassie govt here. Have been sent on a wild goose chase since the early 90's. They should by all means divert their financial support to other sports now. The AFL clearly does not care.

Oh I think they do care. Not about Tasmania, Its about the optics, the constant media attention.

They are use to having a generally subservient media. All of a sudden the bright light is shone, & the boys club couldn't scurry under the rock quick enough.

At least now we'll get some proper progress now I'd think.

Which ever way it goes, the AFL have certainly been dragged out of their comfort zone. Indeed dragged kicking & screaming into reality. Not before time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back