Opinion Appreciate the tagger

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Both Simon Goodwin and Damien Hardwick can shove their sooking up their ass as far as I'm concerned.

Port Adelaide did a great job nullifying Gawn and I don't think he deserved s**t. He needed protection from his teammates not from the umpires.

Damien Hardwicks bitching after De Boer put Martin in his pocket was equally as rubbish. I could give a * how Martin plays, congratulations to De Boer who went a long way to giving his side the win.

Champion players are champions because they cop the attention, give it back two fold and still star. I don't want to watch a game where the good players play well every single week because the umpires don't let anyone near them.

It's a tactic more coaches should use, stop complaing and be proactive coaches.

Hardwick was the epitome of a scragger.

Bit rich of him I felt.

It was more the arrogance of saying Dusty somehow deserves a free ride every week because he plays well. Forwards have been tagged since the dawn of time, midfielders have had it easy for far to long in the modern era

It was more the arrogance of saying Dusty somehow deserves a free ride every week because he plays well. Forwards have been tagged since the dawn of time, midfielders have had it easy for far to long in the modern era
Yeah Harkwick’s comments were so hilariously off the mark. He’s pretty much saying ‘yeah our poster boy needs absolute perfect conditions to play well so go easy.’ I’d be licking my chops if it were my side playing Richmond after Dusty serves his suspension.

Last edited:
Hardwick actually does have form in this area. After his team was whuppped by us in Canberra in 2016 he complained about about our start up concessions, and compared playing us to matching a Holden Commodore with a Ferrari. That's where the Ferrari thing came from.

It's petulant sour grapes and even Eddie would get straight after a loss is not the time to say things like that.

It was disrespectful to De Boer who was simply doing his job, and doing it well.

I respect him as a coach who has been innovative, and his approach of allowing his players to to enjoy their footy, and tl build relationships between each other without competitive pressure has been copied by other clubs, including us.

Respect is a two way street though. I expect there'll be action from the AFL on his aporoaching the the emergency umpire in-game to complain about the lack of protection for Dusty.

All in all troubling signs for the Tigers and their culture, at a time when they're under real pressure. That's when cracks usually appear though.

Hardwick always sooks when one of his players gets beaten. He used to sook when Cotchin got tagged out of games, and then he sooked when Riewoldt didn't get quite enough free kicks for his liking.

How about making some changes as a coach to free up your good players when the opposition inevitably does things to try to stop them? Nah, easier to just blame defensive players for doing their job. Don't think he's ever complained about Rance's scragging tactics, though...

Hardwick always sooks when one of his players gets beaten. He used to sook when Cotchin got tagged out of games, and then he sooked when Riewoldt didn't get quite enough free kicks for his liking.

How about making some changes as a coach to free up your good players when the opposition inevitably does things to try to stop them? Nah, easy to just blame defensive players for doing their job. Don't think he's ever complained about Rance's scragging tactics, though...

It's ******* weird.
When a defenders spends the whole game trying to stop a forward and succeeds everyone lauds them.

When a player stops a midfielder everyone goes into crisis mode demanding somehing changes.

I don't understand

This is what happens when you're the grunt of an average midfield brigade and think that you can give it but then have issues with taking it.
Ohh yes let's be football purists and define what is merit coz there a fine line between cheating with tagging and also between cheating with a don't argue! I've seen Dusty get away with a few that were above shoulder height. Now when a player does that and makes his opponents look cheap, they tend to hold grudges against that player so some tags could become over zealous. I'm actually a fan of tagging within the rules of the game and think that there is equal merit in that if it's done correctly but it the umpires job to call it how they see it without giving special treatment one way or another! Heaven forbid Dusty turning into a princess that the umpires render untouchable such as Garry Ablett Jnr @ GCS!<_<
Clinger had always been a natural ball magnet, which is another reason why he made such a good tagger. It wasn't the ball winning that he had a problem with, it was his disposal once he got it coz his kick had too much arc onnit but wasn't such a problem when rebounding from a turnover, which is why he was a more suited tagger. But this is the beauty about what makes up the dynamics of a team that is effective by capitalising on individual strengths to compliment a team the most. It like how Dusty doesn't chase and tackle, which could bite him on the arse if he isn't getting his hands on the ball, which also may be why he is getting tagged.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when tagging went out of vogue for a while, and coaches had this crazy school of thought where they thought they could let the oppositions best player run around loose, rack up 40 touches, and apparently not have it affect the result?

Then someone got smart again and went "hmmmm, I wonder what happens if we actually man him up tightly?"

The lunacy still makes me laugh #savethetagger

Remember when tagging went out of vogue for a while, and coaches had this crazy school of thought where they thought they could let the oppositions best player run around loose, rack up 40 touches, and apparently not have it affect the result?

Then someone got smart again and went "hmmmm, I wonder what happens if we actually man him up tightly?"

The lunacy still makes me laugh #savethetagger
It's a bit more complicated than that I think. Teams are always aware of the risk of a Fyfe, Cripps, Martin or Mitchell. In previous years we've rarely tagged, but preferred to go head to head and let the opposition worry about our midfield. I still think part of the reason De Boer is tagging is because we need him to lead the lead the midfield group with Ward out, and he needs a useful role there.

Hutch for is has destroyed steel Sidebottom in a grand final

Sidebottom had 41 touches v Richmond in the prelim...the talk was who would stop Sidebottom ....

Swap those numbers around for the grand final ...hutch did a number on him....14 touches.

Good players will work thru a tag or as I have seen opposition teams will work over the tagger in close

It’s part of the game ....and yep they get pinged for frees if they go too far

Last edited:
There are two types of "taggers" - one deserves every bit of criticism and accusations of cheating, the other almost non-existent.

Let's call them the Ling and Crowley.

Ling - uses body positioning, fitness and body size combined with an ability to read the play to significantly restrict his opponent, without infringing. Always ready to tackle, moving his opponent through strength without holding - the best at pushing his opponent into the contest (too close to do anything) I've seen. Then, able to run forward and be a genuine goal-kicking option. His opponent might still get 25 touches, but they are almost completely ineffectual, and still contributes to his team offensively.

Crowley - niggles from before the opening bounce until the siren. Little grabs, holds, punches (sorry, forceful pushes) - anything to take his opponents mind off the ball. Pushes closer (and often over) the line of infringement, but so consistently, and so minor that few umpires will make the calls - even though it's technically correct. Generally doesn't watch the ball at all, focused entirely on stopping their opponent.

The "Ling" style requires genuine talent, and multiple physical advantages. The "Crowley" just requires a single-minded determination to ignore everything else.

There are very few "Ling's" around anymore.

Taggers are effective, but s**t for footy, I can’t see why anyone would think otherwise.
"Tactics are s**t for footy" - that's all I'm getting from your post.

Yeah, it sucks when your best player gets tagged out of a game, but it's a good thing for footy. Who wants to watch one player absolutely destroy the opposition and go unchecked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back